MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Alright you MT R doe killers, fess up.

OK, not living in the US, please educate me, why the reluctance to shoot doe's? We hammer as many female deer we can during the season to try and reduce the numbers. Are you doing the opposite because there aren't enough deer for hunting? Sorry I'm a bit confused.
Cheers
Richard

OK, not living in the US, please educate me, why the reluctance to shoot doe's? We hammer as many female deer we can during the season to try and reduce the numbers. Are you doing the opposite because there aren't enough deer for hunting? Sorry I'm a bit confused.
Cheers
Richard
Yes, that’s basically it Richard. We have the opposite problem, especially for mule deer. This year, after historic drought for the last couple of years, numbers are terrible across most of Montana.

But some people are also just anti-doe shooting on principle.

I get it on the don’t shoot mulie does. In my neck of the woods whitetail doe taste delicious and we are over run with them. Maryland allows 15 archery, 10 in muzzleloader, and another 10 in rifle Season. We do have a Harvest for the Hungry that accepts donations. The reality is no one harvests anywhere close to the limit (hence the continued overpopulation).

Two whitetail doe tags. We canned one and then an older couple in town gets the other. The whitetail around here are doing really good around our house even after the drought and ehd last couple years. There was 50+ behind the house last night

I’ve bought a r7 doe tag many years In a row some years had 2 . Never filled one . But I’m not going to spend the $75 on saving a doe anymore when it’s obvious Fwp doesn’t care so why should I

I haven't had a doe tag in prob close to a decade. I have killed a small pile of whitetail does before that, a handful of mulie does when I was really young.

Anyone saying does don’t eat good has clearly never tasted a whitetail doe shot in September off an alfalfa field.
those are the deer that I'm shooting...3 of the 4 were in alfalfa fields and some were close enough to towns that they probably were even browsing gardens. Unfortunately those were the 2 that tested positive for CWD. Very high urban/suburban concentrations allow for a decent harvest but risk of disease.

Yes, that’s basically it Richard. We have the opposite problem, especially for mule deer. This year, after historic drought for the last couple of years, numbers are terrible across most of Montana.

But some people are also just anti-doe shooting on principle.
Thanks that's no good for your hunting model.

Come over here and fill your boots, we won't even charge you for a tag😂

Cheers
Richard
Just Mule deer does due to declining populations. Whitetail does are a different story.

I shoot a whitetail doe off an alfalfa field about every other year and process it for my great Aunt. If my memory is correct, I’ve owned 42 mule deer doe tags over the last decade and they’ve all found their home in the garbage.
I always wondered why those doe tag success rates were so low. Makes sense. Thanks for your contribution to conservation

I haven't had a mulie doe tag for a long time, probably since the 90's.

I will buy up to 5 WT archery doe tags here in the Bitterroot. There are high populations of WT's on my in-laws place. There might be 60-70 deer in one of their fields at a time. Some years I fill them all, this past year I didn't fill any. If our freezer is full then I find someone ahead of time that can use the meat. I'll process it for them or send it to a processor if they want.

Gave my step daughter the greenlight to drop this whitetail doe this fall so I sort feel like I added to the decline. She put a smooth shot on it and was super happy that the deer went down with just two steps.

Attachments

• PXL_20221020_233644497.jpg
    PXL_20221020_233644497.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back