Yeti GOBOX Collection

Alright you MT R doe killers, fess up.

It’s not going to work like that. They are screwed.
Likely. But seeing as they only issue 100 Mule Deer B tags, and I've had a tag two of the last 3 years, it's a small assist versus being part of the problem of mowing every last one of them down.

Edit: there are legitimate reasons to fill a B tag- so I realize the "part of the problem/mowing" comment could be taken the wrong way. That said, it sure seems like it makes more sense to put a WT doe in the freezer than a Muley doe there in Montana these days.

Last edited:
Haven't shot a mule deer doe since I was in high school which was 15+ years ago. Generally fill the freezer with elk meat. I was helping a friend on a elk hunt in the breaks last year and saw an absolutely stunning and terrifying lack of mule deer. Judging from that there must still be plenty of resident and non resident hunters happy to shoot them.

Haven't shot a mule deer doe since I was in high school which was 15+ years ago. Generally fill the freezer with elk meat. I was helping a friend on an elk hunt in the breaks last year and saw an absolutely stunning and terrifying lack of mule deer. Judging from that there must still be plenty of resident and non resident hunters happy to shoot them.
That’s a trip.. when I was in the breaks I saw 2 spike bulls in 5 days, put the stalk on 8-9 different mulies just for chase……

Likely. But seeing as they only issue 100 Mule Deer B tags, and I've had a tag two of the last 3 years, it's a small assist versus being part of the problem of mowing every last one of them down.

Edit: there are legitimate reasons to fill a B tag- so I realize the "part of the problem/mowing" comment could be taken the wrong way. That said, it sure seems like it makes more sense to put a WT doe in the freezer than a Muley doe there in Montana these days.
The mule deer does will be mowed down on public whether you like it or not.

I have never killed a mule deer doe. My first ever big game animal was a Whitetail doe, and I probably killed five or six more of them, out by Frenchtown when there used to be a pile of those over the counter, archery tags. Then, the last one I killed was on a R2 antlerless tag. I shot her in the head with my buddy’s AR15 from about 30 yards away as she ate out of his haystack. she gave him a solid death kick to the chest that broke the skin and drew blood when we tried to lift her in the back of the truck, to take her away from the ranch to field dress her.
The last one was more meat collection as a college kid, than it was anything that resembled hunting.

I carry a WT doe tag for the area I Archery hunt. I have no problem filling it when I want to. The past two years I have taken a buck on opening weekend, and haven't used a doe tag. But don't see why one would be concerned about harvesting a WT doe. They are like rabbits in some parts!

I killed a muley doe with my truck a couple of months ago. Does that count?
That’s how I got my last one. Did some truck damage . Filled out the road kill report and took it home. I snagged a whitetail buck a couple years back but the meat was not good. I saw it on the way to work at night and loaded it up. Nontypical buck - the antlers are on my buddies desk at work.

I get 1 muley doe tag every year in R6 in addition to my general tag. Some years I fill it, some years I don't. Some years I fill my either sex tag with a buck, some years I don't. I have set my own personal limitations as to what animals are harvested to fill those tags. I share the same thoughts as others that killing does at the rate FWP allows will negatively affect the population long term. I also share the same thoughts as others that killing a lot of immature bucks leads to not having a whole lot of mature bucks because they never get to grow up. But getting on a high horse and not shooting muley does because "everybody else is" will leave me sitting on a high horse with less deer meat in the freezer.

We each have our own ways of contributing to montana's mule deer management as resident hunters. Some hunters have ways of doing it that will help with management despite FWP policies and tag allocations....Some hunters have ways of doing it that compounds the problem and takes advantage of FWP policies and tag allocations.

A small buck is safe to grow up to be a big buck, at least from me. A mule deer doe will be harvested every so often. My truck will never be piled high with multiple deer. I will sleep tonight knowing that I am not the problem after eating some mule deer doe for supper.

I haven’t had a mule deer doe tag in my pocket since my high school days. Will get a whitetail doe tag some years just in case I get the urge to try to kill one with my bow but it’s rare I fill it. Had an antelope doe tag this year but I wasn’t seeing the numbers to justify killing one, I really like eating antelope though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back