Alright you MT R doe killers, fess up.

mtmiller

How many doe tags (deer) do you get every year?

Me first.

Last year two muley does and one whitey. Freezer was fine, so ate three tags instead. If I needed the meat I would have killed one or two, but I have a private landowner friend that will accommodate.

I usually make a donation in the form of one of the Missoula/Root private land only WT doe tags in case I ever get bored enough to go sit around a BMA over here. Have never made a serious go at filling one. I also make another annual donation in the form of a region-wide WT doe tag for either R3 or R4. If I’m spending time east of the divide it’s usually in mule deer terrain so I haven’t ever filled one of those.

That said, if anyone in R2 has some land in an OTC doe unit and some pesky whitetails hanging around feel free to give me a shout.

Two whitetail tags this last season, one OTC and one drawn. Wound up shooting two elk and a buck my first two weekends of hunting, never attempted to hunt the doe tags. Last year, my true self shone a little brighter and I struck out on elk, so I filled two whitetail doe tags to get through the year on meat.

Usually buy what I can this year they changed the system into some stupid draw then after that another draw where you could buy more

I have not pursued a mule deer doe tag in years, and I don't think I will again. Just not worth it, though in my youth I probably shot one a year..

Every year I purchase the single region b tag for whitetail. Last year I also drew a whitetail doe permit. So I shot two whitetail does. I'll probably continue to pursue whitetail does annually.

Why in my mind, are whitetail does more acceptable to kill than mule deer does? I definitely like the meat better. They definitely seem more respectable a quarry. And unlike mule deer, there are more whitetail in the places I hunt than any previous time in my life. All of that, may very well be post hoc rationalization.

I don't doe hunt for mule deer does. The last one I shot was 2012.

In 2022, I killed 4 whitetail does. I actually only bought 2 tags. All on private lands that were attempting to reduce the number of deer. 2 were considered "urban/nuisance deer" taken with archery equipment. Of the 4, 2 tested positive for CWD in the known CWD hotspot and FWP reinstated my tags.

Last edited:
I usually get a handfull of doe tags when I go back region 6. This pst season I was crunched with time, bad weather and a half broken rig. Didnt see but one muley doe….

I buy the R3 and 1:5 of the R309,311,312 tags every year. Last year I ate both tags.

I like to take one WT buck and one WT doe every season, if possible. Last season my wife and I shot our bucks 12 hours apart so I had no time or reason to go after a doe.

I like shooting whitetail does with blackpowder. Sometimes for fun, sometimes when I need meat, sometimes not at all. Haven't shot a muley doe in almost 30 years.

I killed a few when I was young. Didn’t really know the cards they had stacked against them. I haven’t for 20 years and won’t. Reminds me of my last cow elk tag I claimed if it’s walking down a two track I will shoot it, the guy hunting with me said there is a cow and calf walking down a two track track you better shoot it. I didn’t.

I apply for the same Mule Deer B tag each year in a R3 hunt district. I figure the years I get it, there'll be at least one more doe that I can keep on the landscape for another year. Sort of an "adopt a deer" type thing.
It’s not going to work like that. They are screwed.

I smoked one back in college. I was starving to death. Last minute of the last day A tag. It was a dream come true. That was back in 2002. I had never shot one before that and never shot one since. But if someone buys the tag and needs the meat I’m not here to judge.

Back