Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Alaska Fishing 2023

BuzzH

Told my oldest nephew when he graduted high school for his graduation gift I would take him to AK fishing. My Dad, Brother, and youngest nephew also decided to go as well.

Had a great trip, caught just over 2000lbs of fish(in the round) in 3 days between 8 of us. Brought back 100+lbs each of filets.

Salmon fishing was just fair, ended up with about 40 salmon, mostly kings but some silvers. Did the best we ever have on lingcod, 39 total for the trip and they were all nice ones. Limits of halibut every day and rockfish as well.

Some photos:

50989.jpeg

Biggest lingcod I've personally seen caught, my brother Matt caught it, 51 inches. Probably in that 60-70lb range I'm guessing.

IMG_01531.jpeg

Another look at that same fish:

50987.jpeg

Boat limit of lingcod:

50988.jpeg

Last day:

51025.jpeg

Day 2 I think:

IMG_01311.jpeg

Oldest nephews best halibut of the trip:

IMG_02001.jpeg

More fish, Day 1 I believe:

50958.jpeg

Man, I miss that place! Our fishing was small potatoes compared to that. Very nice!

Awesome trip @BuzzH, great haul, 100lbs of fillets in the freezer makes for some tasty eating, jealous. Yeah, that camo will never smell the same.

Wow! Looks like a great trip, one of these days I’m going to head up there myself. Thanks for sharing!

Your team absolutely wreaked havoc on the fish! That is going to be some mighty fine eating for about a year.

Great work!! July 2024 will be my first fishing trip to Alaska. These pics got me real pumped.

Told my oldest nephew when he graduted high school for his graduation gift I would take him to AK fishing. My Dad, Brother, and youngest nephew also decided to go as well.

Had a great trip, caught just over 2000lbs of fish(in the round) in 3 days between 8 of us. Brought back 100+lbs each of filets.

Salmon fishing was just fair, ended up with about 40 salmon, mostly kings but some silvers. Did the best we ever have on lingcod, 39 total for the trip and they were all nice ones. Limits of halibut every day and rockfish as well.

Some photos:

50989.jpeg

Biggest lingcod I've personally seen caught, my brother Matt caught it, 51 inches. Probably in that 60-70lb range I'm guessing.

IMG_01531.jpeg

Another look at that same fish:

50987.jpeg

Boat limit of lingcod:

50988.jpeg

Last day:

51025.jpeg

Day 2 I think:

IMG_01311.jpeg

Oldest nephews best halibut of the trip:

IMG_02001.jpeg

More fish, Day 1 I believe:

50958.jpeg
Do you struggle to eat that much fish in a year buzz? Seems like for me I average a meal of salmon a week and then smoked/candied salmon outside that. Means I really only need 13 or so salmon plus smoking fish.

Maybe you eat more fish and give away? I find I give friends a fair amount of fish myself on good years

Those fish make good horse trading for things like hunting access, etc. As good as fish ever gets. I share some with neighbors and friends, usually a few big fish frys a year too. I probably eat fish 2 times a week. Smoke some, pickle some, can some as well.

If we have guests over for fish, usually send them home with a package or three.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back