Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

AK freezer run

Looks like a blast, I need to make summer fishing run up there shortly with my son. He would love it

I would be interested in replicating a trip like that.

Same boat for 3 days? Package deal? Did you fill the boat?

Not a package deal, six pack boat, and it was 6 of us that are all friends. Best to book a whole boat so you know everyone fishing, we had the boat for 3 days. Used to just go with one friend, but it gets messy sometimes with the split on the fish if you're fishing as a party of 6 and you don't know the other folks.

We just do a six way split with the fish, makes logistics a whole lot easier at the processor.

Late to this one.
Looks like an awesome freezer run.
100 lbs of fish would make my family happy, since two out of three aren't big red meat eaters.
Party of 6 , what's a rough individual cost for such a trip?

Late to this one.
Looks like an awesome freezer run.
100 lbs of fish would make my family happy, since two out of three aren't big red meat eaters.
Party of 6 , what's a rough individual cost for such a trip?

Depends on how fancy you go.

Figure:

$2k for the boat each day (2k/6)
$2/lb finished weight for your fish to be processed
$40-$150 to ship 2 50lb boxes of fish home as luggage
$50-80/night per person for an Airbnb VRBO, hotel, etc.
$75 for a fishing license for 3 days.
$600-800 for airfare (I get cheaper tickets splitting a companion fare)
Tip for the captain and deckhand.
Meals/incidentals as cheap or fancy as you want...I'm on vacation, so usually tend to not cut corners.

Maybe a rental vehicle as well, but depending on where you stay, may not need one.

Figure:

Meals/incidentals as cheap or fancy as you want...I'm on vacation, so usually tend to not cut corners.

Maybe a rental vehicle as well, but depending on where you stay, may not need one.

Your cost breakdown makes me feel even better about what I paid for my trip

Figure:

Thanks for the response and itemized rough cost. Quick math somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500...just need 5 willing friends.
Seems bucket list worthy.
Nice weather a bonus for your trip, i imagine odds are foul weather.
Great report.

Thanks for the response and itemized rough cost. Quick math somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500...just need 5 willing friends.
Seems bucket list worthy.
Nice weather a bonus for your trip, i imagine odds are foul weather.
Great report.
Weather has ranged on the many trips I've done from never seeing rain to not being able to fly home for a couple extra days due to crap weather. Normally the weather isn't bad, but I wouldn't leave home without rain gear.

Weather has ranged on the many trips I've done from never seeing rain to not being able to fly home for a couple extra days due to crap weather. Normally the weather isn't bad, but I wouldn't leave home without rain gear.
I spent a full summer in '85 wandering around Alaska gutting salmon in a variety of locations. Two 6' footers sharing a small tent ....rain virtually everyday.
Kinda leaves an impression . ;)
I couldn't get out of there fast enough to Montana blue skies.

Wow, you won't be needing to buy fish for at least a year. Looks and sounds like you and your friends had an awesome experience. Just keep us all posted as to when you're hosting the first annual Hunt Talk fish fry!

Nice haul! I have been trying to get some friends together to do something like this on a semi regular basis. Would probably do Westport WA every couple years and then AK every few years.

Awesome, Buzz. I was actually just wondering this morning if you made the trip work.

Did you happen to stay right across the street from the school? That cooktop looks familiar.

I did this trip last year and it was a hoot. We added a couple of days and fished some beaches. We caught (mostly pink) salmon until our arms were ready to fall off. We actually preferred the pinks to the kings for eating. Silvers were our favorite. Halibut are obviously great, but we mostly preferred the rockfish over the halibut.

Anyone on the fence needs to do it.

You inspired me to call the Party boat to see if I can book last minute. Maybe the smoke isn't so bad out on the ocean.

Did a quick trip to AK with 5 friends to fill up the freezer. Stellar weather, calm seas, solid fishing.

Day one:

IMG_20200824_162934961_HDR.jpg

Day 2 salmon first, then halibut, rockfish, lingcod:

IMG_20200823_113821691_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200823_161150735_HDR.jpg

Last day:

IMG_20200823_161131049.jpg

This and that:

IMG_20200825_113703381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200825_113652864_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200822_143158156_HDR.jpg

That is a big ole greenling in the last photo. Looks like a great trip. I am truly jealous!

I hope the company of friends was as good as the fishing seems to have been. Congratulations to the whole lot of you.

Figure:

So 3k per person?
Matt

That would totally be a bucket list trip for me for my 50th birthday year. I have 2 years to save for it if I can find a few friends to go with....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back