Caribou Gear Tarp

After Permission Granted

elkhunter340

I have been given permission to trespass land in Montana to gain access to some nation forest that is otherwise blocked by private land so now I'm trying to draft a letter for the landowner to sign stating this in case I run into DOW or anyone .I saw a letter several years ago that was written to protect the landowner and the hunter. I don't want them responsible for my actions while there. This lady has been super nice and said she would give myself written permission to camp on her land while there so I'm looking for something that doesn't look like a lawyer took days to write but still does the job, anyone know of such I can just fill in names and dates?

If you've text or emailed... your agreement is already present. Have a copy or save a copy to your phone if you carry during your trip.

Don't forget a thank you after your hunt!!! A good bottle of bourbon and some flowers for the wife, a Christmas card, some meat if you're successful.....so many little things can go a long way with a land owner and may offer you access every year.
Thats so true

I'll second don't over complicate things for the landowner. If written permission is not required by law I would not be bothering the landowner with it.

A well received token of appreciation has been a framed photo of some aspect of the property.

I also have had owners happy to hear how it went that day/trip......animals seen, fencing status, shots fired on neighboring lands....and one time the land owner was surprised to hear the hay bale count, as the hired farmer reported a smaller number of bales. Next year there was a different hay man. 😳

Our deer and waterfowl seasons end a couple weeks before Christmas. I bring the landowners who allow me to hunt on their property maple syrup, and gift cards to local restaurants. To the OP - many states have "hunting by Permission" forms for landowners to sign. I have some landowners who are shy about putting anything in writing. For them, it's a handshake (pre Covid 19).

I wouldn't over-think it and just get a written permission "slip" that grants you permission to her land. IMO - Whatever agreement the landowner and the one given permission ... is between the two of you and it doesn't sound like it needs to be "spelled out", unless the landowner wants it.

You said "the lady..." assuming she is the landowner, offer to do some chores around the place, repair some fenceline, chop some firewood, etc. I'm sure she would appreciate the offer, even if she doesn't take you up on it. Sounds like a great opportunity to get into some great hunting area.

Not familiar with Montana, but New Mexico requires written permission of the landowner. Page 26 of the Hunting Regs states, "It is unlawful to enter upon any private property to hunt, capture, take, (blah blah blah) any game animal, without possessing written permission from the landowner or person in control of the land...………………... Licenses issued which have the Ranch name printed on them constitute written permission for that property, and no other permission is required."

I would get the permission in writing. Many trespassing tickets are written to folks who had permission but could not prove it. The "lady" could develop dementia, go to nursing home, die, sell property, siblings inherit ranch, etc.. I've seen these scenarios play out multiple times. It is important to touch base with the landowner a minimum of once a year to ensure you still have permission.

I would get the permission in writing. Many trespassing tickets are written to folks who had permission but could not prove it. The "lady" could develop dementia, go to nursing home, die, sell property, siblings inherit ranch, etc.. I've seen these scenarios play out multiple times. It is important to touch base with the landowner a minimum of once a year to ensure you still have permission.
In Montana there is no trespass without a landowner complaint.

Your last sentence I agree with 110%.

FWP has a bunch of different tools to use, if I remember they had a small booklet for landowner/hunter slips in the lobby with all the maps and other pamphlets... It does give the landowner a little piece of mind having your name number and vehicle description on a hard copy, who knows when you will be able to walk in the doors at FWP hopefully soon. Good Luck

Back