Africa or America?

Calif. Hunter

This may not apply to those studs like Greenhorn and Buzz, but what makes more sense or which would you prefer - an African hunt for $7 or 8 thousand or a guided,outfitted horseback hunt for deer and/or elk in the Rockies at about the same price? Or an African hunt or an Alaskan trip for moose/black bear at about the same price?

I'm curious, as I often hear objections on cost for an African trip, but the same guys might pay the same amount for a top-notch trip in North America.

I understand that they are completely different hunts, but I have to say that I loved Africa. For the money spent versus game taken, Africa would win, in my opinion.

I also understand that many of you are young, in excellent shape and live in prime hunting areas. You've got it made and don't need no stinking guide. This post is more for the rest of us who do not live in prime elk/moose/deer country.

I think if it's pushing $10large I've gotta go BC multi-species for 10-12 days- I'm more of a mountain air type than thorny brush!

Rick, I have thought even more about what my hunt priorities are. I have given up on a Africa hunt because I thought that the cash(if I ever get it) would be spent better for me in other ways.

Caribou would be a great hunt. Bear would be fantastic. Pronghorn would be great also......and so forth.

I also would rather go on a hunt with you and many others here and just end up with the laughs and memories

I've hunted in Alaska, Africa, and a number of western states. For me it would be Alaska without hesitation. One note though, no matter how affordable they make Africa look, by the time you pay for your airlines ticket, trophy fee's, shipping charges, and taxidermy bill there is no way it's going to be less than $10,000.00. I'd rather spend 10 grand on a inland grizz or trophy moose hunt in Alaska, but that's just me.

Fred - if you and Doris ever want to "do it yourself" in Colorado or New Mexico, let me know. I'm sure we could find a place I've been with over-the-counter deer and elk tags. We might have to walk some, but it would not be too bad unless you really wanted a large trophy buck and bull. I'm sure we could tag you out on a small bull or cow and at least a forky buck! ;) And who knows - you just might run into a nice 6x6! :eek:

I'm with you on the laughs and memories - I still crack up about Doris and I thinking it was a ram and it turned out to be Tom! :D :D That was a great time.

For the money spent versus game taken, Africa would win, in my opinion.
If that is what a hunt is based on, then I am going prairie dog hunting.;) :D

I can see going to Africa someday, but I will wait until getting up the hill is too tough. My opinion.

I can see going to Africa someday, but I will wait until getting up the hill is too tough. My opinion.

Miller - any hunt is what you make it. You can have just as strenuous a hunt in Africa as here, or you can sit in the back of a landrover and drive around. You can also do that here.

The main difference I saw was the amount and variety of big game animals you saw each and every day. Here, on a good day, I might see pronghorn, mule deer and elk, along with the occasional yote, bobcat or badger and rarely, a bear. There, I would see impala, duiker, eland, wildebeest, hartebeest, giraffe, nyala, kudu, sable, blesbok, gemsbok, zebra, buffalo, waterbuck, baboons, jackels, and so on by the dozens. On one hike, we found a fresh leopard kill. It does raise your pulse a bit when you are busting through the thornbush and spook a mama rhino and her 1,000 pound calf! :eek: (I imagine no more so than running into a grizzly, though.)

Late May and June is the start of winter there and is like our fall - cold, crisp nights and nice temps during the day. Their seasons run the opposite of ours.

Probably just me, but I have no desire to kill anything in Africa. I WOULD like to go there someday, and spend a couple of weeks seeing the sights, and taking pictures of animals. I'm not sure why I feel that way...I guess I didn't spend enough time reading about hunting Africa as a kid.

I'd much rather spend money/time on hunts in Alaska, Canada, and anywhere in or near the Rocky Mountains here in the USA.

Miller - any hunt is what you make it. You can have just as strenuous a hunt in Africa as here, or you can sit in the back of a landrover and drive around. You can also do that here.
I didn't know that, so I will take your word for it.

I am looking forward to Alaska next month, packing all my need possessions on my back, sleeping on the ground most likely in wet conditions, hopefully getting my single species, cutting it up in the field and packing it out on my back. Can you believe someone would pay money to do this?:D

I guess most of the African hunts I have seen advertised are not this type of hunt. Most of them help sell the hunt by the mentioning the great cuisine and living quarters. Hey I am not against that whatsoever and hope to try it someday, but right now I have a hard-on for sitting in the rain, scoping a nice billy and waiting him out until he is in a recoverable place while eating a formerly melted candy bar that is now nearly frozen.

So to answer your question, for the same amount of money and at this point in my life, Africa is down the list. Miller-law.:D

LMAO! The formerly melted candy bar that is now nearly frozen cracks me up.

I know how you feel. I do not ride horses and can remember one ride of 8 hours where, by the end of it, my knees were killing me and my pelvis felt like it was being torn by a log splitter with every step of the horse...and wondering why I was paying to be packed in. (I ended up walking out rather than riding when the hunt was over....) There have been lots of other hunts even more miserable, but the memories are priceless.

Thanks for the replies - it isi interesting to get everyone's perspective. I expected the cost to be more of a factor for more people, which I don't really think is that much different for those who do not do it themselves. I have one buddy who spent over $11,000 for a tule elk hunt because he has the money and did not want to wait years and maybe never get drawn. He has a Roosevelt and several Rocky Mountain bulls, so this was his choice. I would never do that, as I have helped my idjit older brother get 2 tules (a bull and a cow) and am not that amped about "having" to get one myself. I will just keep on putting in for the draw and see what happens.

Everyone has their own hot buttons.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back