Afognak Elk Hunt

TBinKodiak

Got talked into a quick elk hunt with two of my good friends that had cow tags. We took off on my buddies boat Wednesday night at 10 after he received intel from a pilot friend that the elk were a half mile off the beach. Cruised most of the night and dropped anchor around 4am. Hit the beach around 8 and figured it would be a quick hunt. Got to where the elk were supposed to be and there were 2 bears milling around. We searched around and finally cut a fresh trail, ran into a problem though since this guy was also on the trail and wouldn't give way to our yelling. Not an agressive bear, but not a shy bear either. We bumped into him at 80 yards and he walked in front of us to within 50 yards at one point. Nice bear, around 9 and a half.
P1010030.jpg

Pretty wide across the hams.
P1010032.jpg

P1010035.jpg

We end up cirling around him, but loose the tracks. Pretty sure they went into the timber and that's about impossible to hunt without having tracks to follow. We decide to go in anyway and work our way back towards the boat. Well as luck would have it we ran into them and spooked them, but we went after them and caught up to the herd about a half mile later. My friends were able to each take a cow (there was a 4x4 and a couple spikes in the herd also). Both were pretty big animals and I only took pictures of the first one since daylight was running short on us. We got this one quartered and up a tree and then butchered the other one and packed it out. Unfortunately that half mile pack turned into 2 miles and we didn't make the beach until about 15 minutes after dark.
P1010041.jpg

We knew there were 3 bears in the area so we were pretty sure they would be on the carcasses when we went in. Took a couple shots with the 500 about 200 yards out from our stash and nothing was on the kill sight when we got there, the quarters were hung about 100 yards from the carcass. A bear did try to get the quarter and had buried the carcass, but other than that it was uneventful. Me on the buried carcass.
P1010045.jpg

Boned the meat and hauled it out. My feet hurt and legs hurt a little but we ended up with a pile of elk meat and had a pretty fun trip.
P1010042.jpg

Looks like a fun trip.

Not sure about you guys and your giant bears though...

Very cool, that's a heck of a big cow. Thought I got nervous the next morning walking into hanging elk down here, can't imagine the feeling up there with those critters.

Yeah that cow is a giant. I am glad I didn't have to carry that thing.

God I hate those freaking bears, I am such a sissy.

So cool. Amazing elk hunts in that country. That has to be the biggest cow elk that gets taken this year.

Glad the bears didn't get your bounty. Congrats.

Big Bears get my attention. Big bears that don't give a damn that you are there get my full attention and a lot of respect. The fact that they are hunted there and don't take off when they see people is worrisome at best!

I doubt I would shoot an elk in that country if I couldn't get it out the same day in daylight!

Well done hunt and story!

So cool. Amazing elk hunts in that country. That has to be the biggest cow elk that gets taken this year.

Glad the bears didn't get your bounty. Congrats.

No it isn't the biggest, the other one was a good 100lbs heavier than this one. Didn't get pictures of it because we were racing the dark and it died in a swampy area. Those Roosies over there do get big though and our packs were pushing 120lbs or so with boned out meat.

Cripes, that's a big cow. If I'm packing one like that out, there better be 25 pounds of antler, too. :D Congrats on a pile of meat.

God I hate those freaking bears, I am such a sissy.

I agree. That first bear pic gives me the heebies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back