Affordable Cots

R

rwc101

Seen some threads where guys are buying $250+ cots. That's a bit too rich for my blood. Anyone have cots in the sub $100 range that don't suck?

I've had good luck with ALPS. Length and width are good and ample area under the cot to slide a suitcase or two underneath. (My go-to truck camp suitcase from Target) I have a truck camp blue bin I slide underneath as well.

Edit: Was trying to find a link to the cots we have though $199 is FAR beyond what we spent. Not sure if there are two different companies or... they spiked their prices. Mine were p/u from Sportsman Warehouse in the Zoo, MT. Maybe they were bought out and price jacked up(?). I believe we spent around 90-100$

Last edited:
I bought a helinox cot, granted I did not spend what they are going for on Amazon now, but it was not inexpensive.

Still the best nights sleep in the woods that I’ve had in a very long time. After 40+ night on it, I will never not pack that thing. Like Charlton Heston “cold dead hands.”

Guess I'll add that this will be used for car camping. Dad threw out my milsurp city from Boy Scout days. (Good riddance).

For camping next to the vehicle I bought a couple of Coleman $45 cots they weigh 377lbs each but toss your pad on top and they are comfortable.

I bought a couple of these from Cabela's in 2016 primarily for the kids. They have worked well. My 2016 email receipt says I paid $60 each for them. Looks like they have been upgraded to this for $100.

I have been using the same army surplus cot for close to 30 years. Probably aren't available these days. I sleep as well, if not better, than my mattress.
Guess I better make it last.

We have one cot from Costco that I really like, can't find it on their website. I think it was around $60 three years ago. Not a fan of the cot from amazon and should replace it before this fall.

Our local Costco has some "US Forest Service " cots for about $50, but I can't speak to their suckiness or lack thereof. They don't look light, I can tell you that

Something else to consider, use a large camp pad on the cot as well. I've got the ALPS Mountaneering cot with their large pad and it's comfy as hell. Provides extra insulation underneath too.

Military/USFS surplus cots all the way. Like Crock mentioned you might have to give $50.00 for a new one but you could find them cheaper yet at a garage sale and the older ones are even better than the new ones.

Bing fan of Roll-a-cot. Simple design, easy to store, and has held up great. It only has two sets of legs, so it fits fits in the bed of a truck over the top of the wheel well. First learned about them on a off-road truck forum.

I got a Cabela's big sportsman's cot from Bass Pro for like $125 and an XL pad for around $70. It's heavy, but perfect for camp site camping or truck camping.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back