Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Advice on Montana DIY public land OTC mule deer hunt locations

Roosevelt

Hi all....

I know this is one of those posts and questions in general that people see and move on because good hunting areas are hard found and kept secret....but I'm in a pinch and have nowhere to turn and as the leaves start turning color and fall is in the air, I'm starting to freak out a bit, because for the first time ever, I don't have a hunt lined up. I put in for almost every western state for multiple draws and got skunked.

I'd like to do an OTC DIY montana mule deer hunt with my dad (or another state where I can get a mule deer tag) My dad turned 72 this year and I'm not going to let anything stand in my way from breaking out our wall tent and doing it right. I don't care if we kill a monster muley, but I really need to get out of the rat race of life and go hunting with my dad.

If there's anyone that could help me with this, I'd be beyond greatful. I've let work run my life forever and I'm not going to let work get in the way of this.

If someone can point me in the right direction, please pm me or email/call. I'd be willing to pay to hunt on private property or landowner tags as well

Thank you,

Harley Leighty
[email protected]
530-864-3658

Thanks

Wow....I guess I thought they'd have some left. I'm just as much into elk also and should have included that into my first post. I was just online with montana fish and wildlife and saw that only elk offered. Which, to me is just fine.

Thanks for the fast replies! Now I'm really freaking out :eek::eek::eek:

Montana's elk hunting is better than it's deer hunting right now anyway. mtmuley

Before you write off Montana Deer only or Deer/elk combos, call special licensing and speak with them. Montana offers refunds to people who don't use their licenses for a variety of reasons. As those licenses are turned back in, they are resold to people such as yourself who are waiting in line. No licenses today, may not mean no licenses tomorrow.
You are much more likely to score a deer/elk combo tag than you are a deer only due to the amount offered originally.
Montana still has plenty of deer, with better quality whitetails than mule deer as far as trophy quality is concerned.
I'd concentrate on scoring a tag first and then once you know what you are targeting specifically, adjust your hunting areas accordingly. Good luck, you definitely want to get out there with your dad this year!

Thanks

Thank you! I'll be calling every day. I went on a bit of a fiasco of a wolf hunt late last year
when my areas weather got bad and put my work (construction) on hold for a week. The
people with Montana fish and wildlife were some of the nicest people I've ever met. Really...I was amazed at the difference between my states fish and game employees and Montana's...they treated an out of stater (me) like family. Great people...I'll call tomorrow and see if they have anything...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back