Advice on horse usage?

I think if you're really that far in then it would be worth finding a local packer and have him on speed dial. Save your money up and just consider it a cost of doing business. It could be the best $500 you've ever spent.
I've had horses my whole life and unless you know what you're doing it isn't worth it. Even if you know what you're doing it sometimes isn't worth it :D

I've been debating this same thing for my next trip. Where does a guy find pack goats?

Google, craigslist. There are a couple guys in Idaho and Wyoming that rent them out. Your typically $30/day/goat. Shoot a bull, go rent 5 or 6, maybe less depending on the terrain and go pack your bull out for $150-$200.

Thanks I may have to look into them. Horses can do alot of work but they are a bit intemadating. If I'm going to rent horses I plan to go to neighbors and have him give me the in's and out's and even ride a bit.

Found a packer. $500/1 elk, need to be packed and hung close to trail. $750 for 2 elk if they are somewhat close to each other. After all we have spent on 2 years of elk hunting and this being our third year, I will do as suggested, just consider it part of doing business. The nice thing is we aren't out anything if we don't shoot one. If we shoot one within 5 miles of the truck we can still pack it out ourselves, and if we are WAY back we can text this guy the coordinates and he will come in and get it. Sounds like a lot easier and less stress than caring for critters, and we can focus solely on the hunt. I did research some llama and goat packers. They both sound like better options than horses unless you actually wanted a ride in yourself. Thanks again to everyone for their insight!

I'd highly avoid the horses if your newer to elk hunting and want to actually hunt. Many of the guys have already outlined that. Things can get western in a hurry with horses, a lot harder for that to happen on foot. I'd say the biggest thing is how is the 9 miles out? If it's a trail I'd say tough it out and haul it on your back. If it's snaggy downfall or thick brush that's going to be real rough. In all honesty I'd kill one first and deal with it and see how you like it. If the pack out kills you and your buddy then use horses the next year. With two guys and 9 miles with any or most on a trail you'll be fine if you pace yourself and stay hydrated.

I have a friend whose daughter has horses and rides and works with them almost daily. He has her pack his camp in and then out again later. He has a sat phone with which he can call her if he shoots his bull elk and needs it packed out. Encourage your relatives to be such horse people or find a friend who is into horses. If you want to hunt, then hunt. If you want to be a cowboy, then hunting has to take second fiddle.

I'm going the pack goat route... There are simple too take care of and follow you like a lost puppy... Training has been pretty easy, alittle grain and you can get them too almost do anything (that sounds bad), a negative is they need too be 2-3 years old too pack and only pack 20-30% of there body weight, they will almost eat anything, my wife and I love our 3 pack goats and 2 4H Nigerians, go too Craig's list and look up Alpines, Toganbergs, oberhausie, lamancha, any of the big 150-250lbs will work,
You want long legs and whethers are usually preferred... You can get 3-12 month whethers for $35-$100 bucks.... I get the lower priced goats myself, tell the breeder your just looking fo a weed eater :), look for relatively straight backs and long legs,

Matt

I've watched this thread for a while, and I do agree with some of the things said. I have a different take on the subject than what many do. I didn't grow up with horses. The first horse I rode was in 1994 on a bear hunt in Idaho. When we moved to Montana in 1983 and we started hunting elk we got tired pretty quick of trying to compete with those darn horse hunters. We just couldn't compete with them. I did some guiding starting in 1994 in the same area I hunted bear in Idaho. That was baptism by fire. I learned by doing. Horses are animals just like any other. They too have their own personalities. Just like people some are asses and some are pretty cool. As the arthritis in my knee got worse I would ride until the pain got bad then I would walk until that got bad, and I would just trade off that way. We really don't do long back country trips any more. I use the horses as I need them. Last year my brother and I packed into a little waterhole 6 miles into a roadless area in the Missouri Breaks two days before the season started. We killed our two cows opening morning and had everything packed out the next day. This year I rode probably 5 miles opening day and killed my bull at dark. I rode back in 6 miles right to the bull and loaded him up and lead both horses out the next day. There are a million ways to use them, and sometimes they are a PITA. What isn't? I will never pack an elk on my back for any distance. I can't with a knee replacement for very far. The places I hunted this fall weren't all that far from vehicle access but just far enough that no one else was willing to go it packing something on their backs. I don't even use pack saddles. I just use riding saddles with saddle panniers that I tie on the back of the saddle until I kill something, and then lead them out with the game on the back. For me I get even more out of a hunt with my horses. I used my two 18 yr old geldings this fall that I rode a total of one time all year before fall. One I have to smear a handful of blood on his nose the first pack out of the year and then he's good to go. Why? I don't know, that's just the way it is. Sometimes there are wrecks. You can usually mitigate those. Often they are my fault. I own a four wheeler too, but I haven't been anywhere yet where a horse wasn't allowed. I can't say that for the ATV! Jus Sayin'

I'm going the pack goat route... There are simple too take care of and follow you like a lost puppy... Training has been pretty easy, alittle grain and you can get them too almost do anything (that sounds bad), a negative is they need too be 2-3 years old too pack and only pack 20-30% of there body weight, they will almost eat anything, my wife and I love our 3 pack goats and 2 4H Nigerians, go too Craig's list and look up Alpines, Toganbergs, oberhausie, lamancha, any of the big 150-250lbs will work,
You want long legs and whethers are usually preferred... You can get 3-12 month whethers for $35-$100 bucks.... I get the lower priced goats myself, tell the breeder your just looking fo a weed eater :), look for relatively straight backs and long legs,

Matt

I thought of Lama's and goats, but the threat of spreading disease to Big Horn Sheep bothered me. I don't know enough about what it takes for transmission to take place. I heard just feeding where the goats did was enough.

I would use goats if I had the land to raise them. Only one rental place and that is in Evanston, WY. (SW corner of WY). I have read a lot about them and the general consensus is goats don't transmit diseases to wild sheep populations like domestic sheep do, 2 different species, sheep vs. goats. I'm not a biologist, just telling you what I have read, and some of the info came from a wildlife biologist. Like I said tho, we are either going to suck it up or call a packer if we are too far back.

I have a good hunting buddy that has around 15 head of horses and lives close to the mountains. He uses them all Summer long. On our annual Oregon elk trip, they are the cat's meow. We went 5 for 5 this year and we're back in about 9 miles. I can't imagine packing out 5 elk over 9 miles without them. BUT, they are used year round, used to being in the mountains, and have an owner that knows what he's doing. I am clueless when it comes to horses and wouldn't dare use them without my buddy. Even with his great animals and knowledge, we have had some rodeos that gave me some serious pucker factor. Alone, I stick to backpacking.

When you guys mention calling in packers, where do you go to line that up? Do you go through the states outfitters association and call guides or is it word of mouth? I'd love to have someone on call to come haul an elk out. I'm tired of of leaving elk in the woods because I know I'd be in over my head getting it out.

Randy,

In Montana they would have to be a licensed guide/outfitter and permitted through the USFS in order to do it commercially. If it's a private guy doing it for no charge then no licenses/permits are needed.

I'd check with the local ranger district to get a list of permitted folks, then call them to find out who is willing to offer that service. Not all of them do because they are too busy running clients and supplies in/out.

I live in Colorado, and hunt with MY horses. I agree with most of what's been said, regarding hauling horses from Iowa, and also tending to horses in camp. If you don't have experience in packing & caring for horses, just imagine a worst case scenario for yourself dealing with them? Can you deal with a horseshoe that's coming off? You get the picture. As for depending on a packer to show up where and when you need them, can you really count on them?
One option you might have, is to carefully research doing a drop camp with an outfitter. If you have a particular place to hunt, chances are there is already an outfitter nearby. If you can find one to pack you in to YOUR specified location, and have a contract that HE will pack you in and out, you're miles and money ahead. That's what I'd do if I were an out of state hunter. The difference is, sometimes an outfitter will put his drop camps in a less productive area. If you have a spot in mind, that's different.

We had two Tennessee Walkers that we would ride on a regular basis to keep in shape. That is as essential with a horse as a person. We could cover up to 20 miles of wilderness trails in a day when they were in shape as they could flat move out! That is enough to get blisters on your ass BTW! I had big plans to use them to "pack in" until I learned enough to know what a pain in the ass horses can and will be. It would be great if you had somebody to care for them but to try and hunt hard and keep horses happy is more work than fun.

There gone now and I rarely miss them!

We used horses for a few years, and like everyone has said. .they are worth their weight in gold. . .HOWEVER, they are a huge expense to haul out there. I'm not sure how it is now, but years ago we had to have someone come out and certify our hay at every cutting and they gave us a colored twine to use. . . .or you could buy it for $8 a bale once you got there. . .its just a ton of extra work. The last couple of elk we killed, we called a ranch and they delivered horses to us at the trailhead, we used them, then called them and they came and picked them up. . .best money Ive ever spent ( $100/horse. . but its been 9years).

All good stuff above. I like to use my horses to hunt with, but they do add an extra level of work to a hunt. I think having horses to hunt with is a lifestyle choice that you live year around. To get the most out of them you need to be using for more than the annual hunting trip. I hear lots of horror stories about horses in the mountains, but when someone pulls them out of the pasture once a year and heads out they can't expect peak performance. When I have mine at hunting camp I probably give up 15 to 20% of my hunting time to caring for the horses, but they support me in the backcountry so its worth it.

When you guys mention calling in packers, where do you go to line that up? Do you go through the states outfitters association and call guides or is it word of mouth? I'd love to have someone on call to come haul an elk out. I'm tired of of leaving elk in the woods because I know I'd be in over my head getting it out.

I looked into this, this year. I found a rancher in the area of my hunt and make a $ agreement IF I dropped an elk and reviewed the map grids of my interest. I was solo and packed in approx. 6 miles. Maybe I did it more based on my physical capabilities though it was a very nice comfort knowing my hunt activity was covered. $250. I felt it was a fair value.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back