a weekend on the farm

mdcrossbow

Friday Saturday hunt in Va was great, weather was great lots of deer but still I have not seen the big boy but once and that was pulling in the driveway at 5 in the morning and he was standing next to the bean field. O well, plenty of deer for the freezer I stuck a small doe Saturday evening, it was either big trophy or small and taisty. As they say you can't eat horns so I let allot of nice 2.5 year olds walk and opted for tender. Mama wanted to get an arrow in her also but I passed. Things are getting exciting on the farm. I finely found the best location for bow hunting this farm. I put a stand in Friday morning about a miles back in the hard woods and as I sat there all day watching the movement the moon transit was right on and I saw the main movement crossing coming from the bottom area near the lake leading to the hard woods. I located a tree the next morning but got busted by a big old nanny so I waited till the early movement was over and about 10 AM moved my stand to a large hickory tree with plenty of yellow leaves on it still about 20 yards from the oak I was in with little cover. I climbed to about 26' giving me a good canopy of fully covered leafy branches above my head it was perfect. Old nanny came in she was still suspicious but could not find me although she looked right at me a few times but never noticed the camoed blob attached to the tree. She lead a battery of does right under me and a few young bucks that wondered in periodically through the rest of the day who went about their search for doe's. The evening hunt took me to the other side of the farm were soy beans were still standing and the area where plenty of doe's gathered for an eveing feed. After finding a small tree halfway down the field in a hedge row I cleared the poison ivy off and turned to sit and as I did I watch a small four point enter the field and he turned back towards the corner which he emerged from and a nice big 7 point entered with a hugh bowl rack estimated 18" wide and then another 4 point joined them. A doe entered and left and with her followed the bucks. Then close to last light I heard leaves being crunch close behind me and there was the nanny and her fawn looking to cross the bob wire to gain access to the beans. fatal mistake. She jumped the fence and I took aim on the fawn she took a pass through both shoulders and dropped where she stood. That event caused about 20 doe's who entered the field from the upper end to make a be-line for the hard woods at the end of the field where the bucks entered. The sound was interesting as they ran through the dry soy's about 400 yards. when all was quite I attended my kill but as I looked down the field there stood a lone doe.

Sounds like a great weekend!! I was back in IN this past week and the cooler weather was getting the bucks thinking about rutting...

What broadheads are you using?

Slick Tricks 125, The 1st year Gary introduced them I started using them, Put 13 deer down straight with pass through shot that season. Every one I have ever bought has been perfect right out of the box , shot like field point and ready for action.

Sounds like great performance. I have yet to hear a bad thing about those heads...

13 deer in one season??? THAT sounds like fun! I'm guessing the gutting/processing can get a bit tiresome, but I bet you get by... :D

1 pointer, 13 was just the number of straight pass troughs, I think that season I put 26 down. We have an unlimited doe season and 2 bucks per season. I hunted a tree farm for about 20 years and took over 450 deer out with my crossbow over that time. I've used just about every head on the market and none repeat none match up to the reliability and pin point accuracy of the slicks. After about 2 years of hunting that farm I started butchering my own. At $65 a deer I learned fast to butcher.

I will but hunting with my son this weekend. Located a good area but I think he will want to hunt the stand he shot his buck from last year, which may be good since no one has hunted it this year.

I hunted a tree farm for about 20 years and took over 450 deer out with my crossbow over that time. I've used just about every head on the market and none repeat none match up to the reliability and pin point accuracy of the slicks. After about 2 years of hunting that farm I started butchering my own. At $65 a deer I learned fast to butcher.
I'd say that is hard experience to dispute! Heck, I don't think me and my three best buddies could top 10% of that total... Butchering your own is definitely cheaper and IMO much better. However, when I butcher I always end up with WAY more burger than if I pay for it... :D

Good luck to your son! I know the allure of hunting the same stand, after killing my first buck my dad could hardly pry me out of that stand for a couple of years.

Once a buddy showed me the proper way to skin it was a piece of cake. Not may know about the tendon at the hind knee that if you really skin the deer right and keep the tendon attached to the deer the Hyde will come off with out taking any meat off.

It was a fun day yesterday with the ML'ers, Jake left on the of the safty 's on the Knight 50 cal , the thing has 3 safeties, so his deer heard the click and took off I took a small buck with my 50 cal flint lock I built, 1st deer taken with that gun. Put the bead on the throat , dead center 50 yards he dropped right there.
So another day butchering and making jerky.

Slickest system I've seen for skinning deer involved an electric winch to pull on the hide once the legs were skinned down a bit. IIRC schmalts posted a video of him doing something similar with a truck...

I can empathize with Jake. I have a Knight Wolverine and have forgot to remove one of the multitude of safeties before...

IMGA0998.jpg
round ball entered the white patch on the throat and traveled down the spine to the middle of the back.
490 did it's job
IMGA0999.jpg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back