Caribou Gear Tarp

A Tale of Trespass

If the "shot" fits ......keep on passive aggressively attacking a bunch of HTers commenting on illegal activity with weak sarcasm to detract from the dude's activity by deflection. :rolleyes:

If the "shot" fits ......keep on passive aggressively attacking a bunch of HTers commenting on illegal activity with weak sarcasm to detract from the dude's activity by deflection. :rolleyes:
Talk about passive aggressive. Wow.
I don't deny what he was doing was wrong, and I won't defend his position, which is impossible because he was all over the place in the argument. But thoughtful discussion doesn't happen when everyone agrees, and the sanctimonious and holier-than-thou replies seemed a bit much to me. I don't know know we would resolve the bet, but am extremely confident in my victory just by the fact you capitalized 'never'. :)

What?? Not close...I've spent a lot of time around doctors over the last 10 years and they are hardly a bunch of socially awkward weirdos, they are typically more A-type personalities with high drive who get a lot done. However, a small percentage of them transform into really sanctimonious a-holes after they complete residency training and become real doctors, as in the case we're discussing here...
My assessment comes from experience.

I opened the article this morning, but just got around to reading it. I liked the article a lot, but I generally like things that offer differing perspectives, or challenge my thinking.

There are two main threads I pulled from this article. One is the overt one that everyone has picked up on, that this dude is trespassing and complaining about his neighbors. Entitlement and hypocrisy. Got it.

But did no one else pick up on the point he was trying to make? That all of us (don't make me spend the day digging through old threads), have lamented the loss of community, always blaming it on the "newcomers". Put yourself in his shoes with his experiences and maybe he just doesn't know how sacred some people hold trespass. Maybe welcoming him into the community so that you can politely inform him of your expectations, or maybe actually get know him, become friends with the guy and allow access. When I moved in I was working the yard and a guy was working his dog in my lower field. I walked down and introduced myself. He had no idea the land had sold, and apologized for being on my land. I told him it wasn't an issue and he was free to use it all he wanted. Some other neighbors do laps around it in the winter with their snowmobile, did they ask, no, but gd it ain't like it's causing any harm. I feel like it's just part of being a good neighbor. Maybe it's that I came from a community where we all knew each other, and even if we didn't agree on politics, we still allowed neighbors access and they us. We were freaking neighbors not strangers, that's what neighbors do. When someone moved it, we all introduced ourselves and invited them into our community. I can't help but think of Doug Durin's quote, "It's not ours, it's our turn"

Who can't relate to this?

Americans’ idea of community is becoming less cohesive, while our focus contracts inward. We become more suspicious of others, more concerned with ourselves. We feel victimized. We avoid face-to-face confrontation, shielded instead by screens or lawyers. We drop our heads into our phones in search of community, however fabricated and nebulous, instead of connecting with the people around us.

My peers who share my sense of alienation generally express it by criticizing our political leaders and hoping the next election will bring change. Instead, we need to accept more personal responsibility for creating meaning and order in our lives together.

Despite our best intentions, declared at our country’s founding, people are not “created equal.” We are created along the whole spectrum of privilege and ability. Likewise, there are simply no “inherent human rights.” There are only the rights we decide to give each other.

Last edited:
I see your point and I get it, I'm more like you, I can forgive a misunderstanding and maybe get to know somebody. Unfortunately, the good doctor in the article shows himself to be passive aggressive, entitled, and rude-so he's probably also the guy who will eventually sue that neighbor that does allow him to cross their land because they left a log on the trail and he tripped on it...

I opened the article this morning, but just got around to reading it. I liked the article a lot, but I generally like things that offer differing perspectives, or challenge my thinking.

There are two main threads I pulled from this article. One is the overt one that everyone has picked up on, that this dude is trespassing and complaining about his neighbors. Entitlement and hypocrisy. Got it.

But did no one else pick up on the point he was trying to make? That all of us (don't make me spend the day digging through old threads), have lamented the loss of community, always blaming it on the "newcomers". Put yourself in his shoes with his experiences and maybe he just doesn't know how sacred some people hold trespass. Maybe welcoming him into the community so that you can politely inform him of your expectations, or maybe actually get know him, become friends with the guy and allow access. When I moved in I was working the yard and a guy was working his dog in my lower field. I walked down and introduced myself. He had no idea the land had sold, and apologized for being on my land. I told him it wasn't an issue and he was free to use it all he wanted. Some other neighbors do laps around it in the winter with their snowmobile, did they ask, no, but gd it ain't like it's causing any harm. I feel like it's just part of being a good neighbor. Maybe it's that I came from a community where we all knew each other, and even if we didn't agree on politics, we still allowed neighbors access and they us. We were freaking neighbors not strangers, that's what neighbors do. When someone moved it, we all introduced ourselves and invited them into our community. I can't help but think of Doug Durin's quote, "It's not ours, it's our turn"

Who can't relate to this?

Americans’ idea of community is becoming less cohesive, while our focus contracts inward. We become more suspicious of others, more concerned with ourselves. We feel victimized. We avoid face-to-face confrontation, shielded instead by screens or lawyers. We drop our heads into our phones in search of community, however fabricated and nebulous, instead of connecting with the people around us.

My peers who share my sense of alienation generally express it by criticizing our political leaders and hoping the next election will bring change. Instead, we need to accept more personal responsibility for creating meaning and order in our lives together.

Despite our best intentions, declared at our country’s founding, people are not “created equal.” We are created along the whole spectrum of privilege and ability. Likewise, there are simply no “inherent human rights.” There are only the rights we decide to give each other.

Your opinion i
...so he's probably also the guy who will eventually sue that neighbor that does allow him to cross their land because they left a log on the trail and he tripped on it...
All the stuff about his personality and handling of the situation rings true, but this does not. I think he's much less likely to sue over an injury than your average coloradoan with his hobbies. ER docs ARE weird dudes(despite your assurances, all three I worked with last night were quite awkward socially), but they are generally wary of resorting to torts for resolutions to personal injury.

In my experience the weed game has changed a lot of attitudes towards property rights in Colorado, not sure if it's the people, the plant, or the money, or maybe all three, but it has not been as positive as one would think.

Back