Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A Soldiers hunting transportation

EODRay

Much like last years hunting trips in the states, I have yet to fill my insurgent tags on this deployment……so far. However, I thought that you might enjoy a gear review of the current transportation options that I have for this years 9 month hunting trip.

Options one (least favorite) option is the Old School hiking boots. The Army gave me a new set of summer and winter "mountain boots" for this trip. Besides being very heavy, they didn't fit my feet good at all. So as usual, I bought my own. These are a pair of Rockies combat boots and Merrell's W/gortex. The Rockies are comfortable for shorted distances (5 miles or less) and the soles do well in the rocks. The Merrells are very comfortable for long distances but you do feel the rocks through the bottom more than I would like. Neither pair are very warm…….thus the toe warmers. When you're sitting on the top of a mountain over night in January in either pair, you are just plain gonna be cold.
IMG_1370.JPG

Next up we have the good old Special Forces ATV. This is a definite upgrade from rucking it. As an EOD tech (Bomb Squad), we have to carry a lot of equipment (Explosives, metal detector, site exploitation gear, 40lb robot, bang stick, etc) besides our basic load that every other Soldier has to carry. It is often over 100lbs and that gets old quick. So when we do a HAF (Helicopter Assault Force) mission that is going to last multiple days, it's nice to have one of these that we can load onto the bird to help carry the extra water and food.
DSC00509.JPG

Last up is my personal favorite, the MATV (Military All Terrain Vehicle). Last years deployment we (EOD) were not even allowed to ride in these vehicles. While being great at getting over some very rough terrain and going places that you wouldn't think a vehicle this big could go, they had a flaw in their body armor that could actually catch the blast from an IED and direct it inside the vehicle. This is a very bad design when your main job is hunting/disposing of IED's. Last year I ran over a 40lb IED in our EOD specific truck (called a JERRV) and I was no worse for the wear.
Well, the Army fixed the under armor issue with this truck and it's much better now. The back compartment allows me to take my full compliment of EOD equipment with me. Having a bomb suit, full size robot, various disruption charges, X-ray, and anything else I might need is a best case scenario for me.
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1296.jpg

That ATV better stay on legal roads and trails! ;) :D

I was a bit surprised that you use the Merrells for the longer distance stuff as they seem less stout. That said, Merrells fit my feet wonderfully!

Wonder if I could get one of those MATVs on a government auction? WIth a bit of reconfiguring it could be a very good hunting rig! :D

Thanks for your service and stay safe!

That ATV better stay on legal roads and trails! ;) :D

I was a bit surprised that you use the Merrells for the longer distance stuff as they seem less stout. That said, Merrells fit my feet wonderfully!

Wonder if I could get one of those MATVs on a government auction? WIth a bit of reconfiguring it could be a very good hunting rig! :D

Thanks for your service and stay safe!

There are actually hundreds and hundreds of them sitting in a filed near Houston, TX. With the draw down, they have tons of them left over and have to figure out what to do with them. I heard that they are giving some of them to Police departments for "Branch Davidian" type situations. I don't think you would want to feed (fuel) that pig though. It doesn't get Miles per gallon, it gets gallons per mile. It's a lot bigger than it looks. The front of the hood there is about 6 foot tall and overall about 10-12 foot tall.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. The ATV looks like a big help! As always, thank you.

Great pics Ray. Stay safe and let us know when you fill your tags. Thank you and all the men and women for your service.

You look to be in elk chasing shape Ray.Thanks for reminding us that harm's way is being confronted by the best there is.

Thank you very much for your service and for sharing these pics. I wish even just short accounts of what you do were widely dispersed over here so that all of us here, warm and safe, better appreciated what is done for us. Again, thank you!

Thanks for the shortened version of what you do every day, and the pics. Stay safe and thanks for your service. You're one of our many hero's!

Hey, thanks for all the kind words guys. The weather here changed dramatically overnight. Yesterday I was shooting my bow in a T-shirt and today we got 6 inches of snow and it's about -4 degrees. It's worse than Colorado with the climate change. It even cancelled a couple of missions. Guess even Soldiers get a snow day or two. Maybe I'll build a snow man tomorrow and post a pic.

A great post that opens the eyes of many, as to what you guys deal with and what conditions you have to work under. I would pay more in taxes to see that you guys have the "best of the best" gear. If we can ever be of help getting you some needed goods, let us know.

Thanks for your service. Come home safe and fill some tags stateside.

Boy wouldn't it be great if the States would move these guys to the top of the list on Tag Draws based on their time deployed? My best post ever! John

Back