A Real Dandy Of A Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight

shrapnel

Last week this gun was listed for sale. I bought it being hopeful that it really is a nice gun. It has no sights, with a Winchester recoil pad. Looking at the pad and the stock, I believe it to be original.

When it showed up, it was nicer than I expected and could even be unfired. It is an extremely nice gun. To top it off, I got a scope in the mail the same day from a friend, that is from that era and fits the gun nicely. I will be shooting this soon and using it this fall to kill something...

DSCN2160.jpg

DSCN2161.jpg

DSCN2162.jpg

DSCN2164.jpg

DSCN2169.jpg

DSCN2171.jpg

Very nice, would of had to be a special order. I don't have Roger Rules but the featherweight would not of had a pad and don't believe a non=sighted version was ever offered in production. Very cool go take something with it, I know you will.

Very nice, would of had to be a special order. I don't have Roger Rules but the featherweight would not of had a pad and don't believe a non=sighted version was ever offered in production. Very cool go take something with it, I know you will.

Not a production gun, but certainly could be special order or a Gopher Special......

Did the feather weight not have the barrel sight or band for the barrel screw? I have two 270 standard weight Model 70's. One was my Uncles that he bought around 1950 at Kernegens gas station in Great Falls. The other was my Father's that he bought in 1951 at the same gas station. Got my first deer with Dad's rifle.
Dan

Did the feather weight not have the barrel sight or band for the barrel screw? I have two 270 standard weight Model 70's. One was my Uncles that he bought around 1950 at Kernegens gas station in Great Falls. The other was my Father's that he bought in 1951 at the same gas station. Got my first deer with Dad's rifle.
Dan

No barrel sight on front or dovetail in the rear...

Very cool, it's great when a fine rifle is put to it's intended use.

I'm taking my late model Super after Muley's this weekend.

Attachments

• Win Super 300 sm.jpg
    Win Super 300 sm.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 996
That will work nicely. I actually like the late model or "classic" super grades better than the pre 64 super grades.

Let us know how you do.

Nice find Shrapnel! Reata - the furniture on that Super is fantastic!!

A pre-64 Model 70 should be in everyone's safe. Nice irons guys!

Here's mine - a 1958 Featherweight in 30-06. A gift from a friend who had it gifted to them from an old pronghorn hunter.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 835
Someday I need to give this gun a scope that it deserves, like an old blued model Leupold with the wire crosshairs.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 813

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back