Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A Real Dandy Of A Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight

Someday I need to give this gun a scope that it deserves, like an old blued model Leupold with the wire crosshairs.

It seems like these guns are always a work in progress...

Pre-64's look better in their natural habitat:

IMG_0745.JPG

Pre-64's look better in their natural habitat:

IMG_0745.JPG

I desperately would love to have mine photographed with a Bighorn I have took with it. Just slightly gigantically a little quite a lot jealous.

What cartridge chambering is yours Buzz?

Yes, they do look better in a natural environment.

Attachments

• 100_2243.JPG
    100_2243.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 357
I desperately would love to have mine photographed with a Bighorn I have took with it. Just slightly gigantically a little quite a lot jealous.

What cartridge chambering is yours Buzz?

Not my sheep or rifle, both belong to my Father.

It's a 30/06...However, I've managed to sneak it out of the house often enough to take deer, elk and pronghorn with it.

I used it a few years back to take an elk in Montana...completing a goal I had of my Grandfather, Dad, and I all killing elk, deer, and pronghorn with that rifle in Montana.

Dad still hunts with it.

Not my sheep or rifle, both belong to my Father.

It's a 30/06...However, I've managed to sneak it out of the house often enough to take deer, elk and pronghorn with it.

I used it a few years back to take an elk in Montana...completing a goal I had of my Grandfather, Dad, and I all killing elk, deer, and pronghorn with that rifle in Montana.

Dad still hunts with it.

Very nice, a family heirloom makes it that much sweeter. Mine belonged to a close cousin who passed in the mid 80's, my uncle passed in on to me about 8 years ago. That gives it even more meaning than the already nostalgia the icon rifleman's rifle has.

I at least I get to dream about taking a bighorn with it every year I buy my sheep raffle tickets.:D

Very nice, a family heirloom makes it that much sweeter. Mine belonged to a close cousin who passed in the mid 80's, my uncle passed in on to me about 8 years ago. That gives it even more meaning than the already nostalgia the icon rifleman's rifle has.

I at least I get to dream about taking a bighorn with it every year I buy my sheep raffle tickets.:D

It is always cool when there is a family connection. My grandfather was a wheeler and dealer with guns. He gave me a Winchester Model 62 WRF that I had sitting in the gun cabinet. A guy I knew found out I had it and offered me the pre-64 Featherweight in trade. I really struggled with trading an inherited gun, but then decided my grandfather would've traded it, so I did too.

I just wish it was something a little bigger than .243. If it was a .270 I'd never pick up another rifle again.

JLS,

I don't know that's a pretty sweet rifle to have in a .243...

It is a pretty darned good shooter. Lots of antelope and muleys have fallen to it, and a few elk too.

What scope does your dad have on his?

JLS,

I'm sure your grandfather was right there with you. That .243 sure is a sweet a lope and deer gun that works great on the yotes too.

JLS,

Dads has a redfield 3-9 that he bought at the Missoula Bob Wards when they moved from downtown to Brooks Street in the early 70's.

I believe he still has the peep site for it as well.

Last edited:
All the sporting goods stores were right there by Malfunction junction for a while. Bob Wards before it moved, Brady's in Trempers, and Black Sheep at Stephens and Brooks.

My model 70 is a featherweight chambered in .243 with a fixed 6x weaver scope. Its been lugged around the mountains for 50 years, and it looks like it. And it's my favorite gun in my safe. My grandpa bought it for my great grandpa who used it to kill many animals. Then my grandpa used it for a while til he passed it on to my dad who used it as his primary hunting rifle til he passed it on to me, and I used it to take my first deer. The gun is literally priceless to me. I hope that my wife will take her first deer with it soon and then my kids when they get a bit older.

64's are the only rifles I will own. I've tried lots of other types. They fit me perfect and never had a bad one. Just got a new Extreme Weather in stainless with a B&C stock. amazing rifle. Goin to hunt waphiti in about 3 weeks

An extreme weather is not a "64" as you say. I had a pre-64 Featherweight in .30-06 Hated it. I'm in the minority I guess. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back