Caribou Gear Tarp

A Poor Elk Hunter With A Good Elk Tag

Nameless Range

I was lucky enough to draw the most sought after elk permit in Montana this year.

8AFF34F2-437C-458B-ACF4-0519F65FCE91.jpeg

Last year, over 10,000 people put in for the 135 available Elkhorns bull tags. For perspective, the next most popular area in Montana had just over 5,000 applicants.

I will use this thread as a place to document trail cam pictures, scouting follies, and hunts, once the season arrives. There will probably be more pictures of trees, and thoughts about geography, than pictures of elk. But that’s the kind a elk hunter I am.

The good news is I took my first scouting hike last weekend, and I’ve already found the giant I will focus on over the coming year. It didn’t have antlers yet, so it’s hard to tell if it will make the book, but I’m hopeful.

4AEF2EA3-F07C-493D-AEB2-3A46E98BE3F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 498B1F24-A013-4990-8C51-D8F88149ED19.jpeg
    498B1F24-A013-4990-8C51-D8F88149ED19.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 26
I was lucky enough to draw the most sought after elk permit in Montana this year.

View attachment 106615

Last year, over 10,000 people put in for the 135 available Elkhorns bull tags. For perspective, the next most popular area in Montana had just over 5,000 applicants.

I will use this thread as a place to document trail cam pictures, scouting follies, and hunts, once the season arrives. There will probably be more pictures of trees, and thoughts about geography, than pictures of elk. But that’s the kind a elk hunter I am.

The good news is I took my first scouting hike last weekend, and I’ve already found the giant I will focus on over the coming year. It didn’t have antlers yet, so it’s hard to tell if it will make the book, but I’m hopeful.

View attachment 106618

I'm guessing 345" :)

That's great! If you would like the services of an awesome videographer equipped with an awesome Google Pixel 2 XL for those "classy follies" and a drone to noisily fly along for grand aerial footage to assure the elk run wayyy before you see (you need a challenge) then I will lend you my services. 😆 Free of charge, of course... if I trip? It's part of capturing video of the trail, close up. I take trips for the team.

My phone is the cat's meow over the high priced CNN / FOX cameras... and truthful as well.

Nice draw and best to you! A certain thread to follow!

Back