A once in a lifetime hunt--maybe !

Caprivi Strip over dall sheep unless she doesn't want to travel. IMO a trip to Africa before its totally developed, destroyed or hunting is banned (imports banned) would be much higher on my list than a sheep hunt. IMO, Sheep hunting is over commercialized, and over-hyped vs the experience. I love sheep hunting, but given the opportunity to go guided, I'd go to Africa, its way more of an adventure, at least for me. Totally foreign environment, culture, animals, etc. IMO the biggest allure of sheep "hunting" is killing one because they are either really expensive, or they are next to impossible to draw a tag. Think I'm wrong? Why are the unlimited areas in MT for sheep not overrun with sheep "hunters?" Its not about the hunt, its about killing one... People can hunt sheep every year OTC without a guide, yet only a few hundred do so, and that country is some of the most wild in the L48.

I would consider a snow sheep hunt over Africa, but only because the adventure would be higher over Alaska/Canada. Foreign country, crappy helicopters, long flights to the middle of now where, etc. How long will those snow sheep hunts last? Hard to say... Dall sheep hunting won't end in my lifetime.

I would think a little bit about the experience vs the animal targeted. Do you favor one over the other? For me, I would tend to favor the experience. That would point me to a sheep hunt as that will get harder to do for a number of reasons and the territory they inhabit....off the charts! Admittedly, I do not know a lot about the African hunts.

Another thing to consider, could you accompany her on the first leg of the trip...spend a day in some city with her close to her destination and then meet her when she comes out of the bush? Imagine hearing about the hunt in some small town restaurant just after she came out with the excitement still in her eyes! Time spent with her is invaluable!

I see two ways to view the decision.

1. A hunt were the odds or prospects of actually being able to do the hunt in the future are limited. For those I would lean towards the bears or Marco Polo
2. A hunt were the experience and landscape that encompasses the hunt is the once in a lifetime component and not necessarily the critter. For that I would go north slope/Brooks range hunt (for whatever) or a something in the desert.

Any of the above would be an amazing adventure. You could present her with the gift in the form of a nice card and then let her choose. It would add a lot to the gift if she could plan it with you too.

Africa Is better as a gift. You mentioned she has hunted the normal North American hunts. A safari offers more than just a hunt, there is exotic adventure with unusual sights and sounds. A good African concessionaire will offer more than just a hunt, things will be very special. Be sensitive that time is marching on in many parts of Africa and old safari experiences are disappearing. For example, when I first hunted the Caprivi Strip there was a bumpy gravel road, today there is is modern paved highway running from end to end with 18 wheelers zooming past signs cautioning to watch for elephants. Hasten to add, still great hunting and fine tented camps. Given the unsettled conditions worldwide African safari business is suffering and willing to make deals. It is a good time to check around. Maybe even Tanzania? Kindest Regards

Africa Is better as a gift. You mentioned she has hunted the normal North American hunts. A safari offers more than just a hunt, there is exotic adventure with unusual sights and sounds. A good African concessionaire will offer more than just a hunt, things will be very special. Be sensitive that time is marching on in many parts of Africa and old safari experiences are disappearing. For example, when I first hunted the Caprivi Strip there was a bumpy gravel road, today there is is modern paved highway running from end to end with 18 wheelers zooming past signs cautioning to watch for elephants. Hasten to add, still great hunting and fine tented camps. Given the unsettled conditions worldwide African safari business is suffering and willing to make deals. It is a good time to check around. Maybe even Tanzania? Kindest Regards
I second Happy's comments, we spent a few messages comparing safari notes and the incredible experiences we had with the likes of Tony Henley and the Selby's that are rapidly disappearing. I love hunting Buffalo, especially up close and personal is an adrenaline rush that is hard to beat. I have seen the steady closures of hunting opportunities across Africa and two countries I have hunted have closed, providing millennial Eco -Tourism substitution. Considering the total experience versus punishing yourself in a high country tent camp I vote for Africa, Buff, Kudu, Oryx would make a nice trifecta, actually make it 3 Buff as no one can just stalk one!

I second Happy's comments, we spent a few messages comparing safari notes and the incredible experiences we had with the likes of Tony Henley and the Selby's that are rapidly disappearing. I love hunting Buffalo, especially up close and personal is an adrenaline rush that is hard to beat. I have seen the steady closures of hunting opportunities across Africa and two countries I have hunted have closed, providing millennial Eco -Tourism substitution. Considering the total experience versus punishing yourself in a high country tent camp I vote for Africa, Buff, Kudu, Oryx would make a nice trifecta, actually make it 3 Buff as no one can just stalk one!
Yes, if dangerous game is what she wants, I would reccomend cape buffalo over grizzly. No, I haven't hunted grizz ... and never will. Like mountain sheep, I have no desire to hunt something simply because it may not be huntable in the future. Quite the opposite. I have no desire to follow in the footsteps of those who almost wiped out bison or the market hunters who eliminated Labrador ducks. It's why I stopped hunting moose here. Don't want to be remembered as part of the problem.

Anyway, grizz are almost always solitary. Cape buffalo are almost always in a gang. Which is going to give the hunter the better panty-filling experience? I think cape buffalo hunting will be around for a long time. They are countless in number and will always be pushing back against human encroachment. And they push hard!

Africa.

and===== Besides the hunts,

the sounds, just hearing the lion roar at night is worth the price of admission. The sights, both during the hunt and after or before, like Victoria Falls, Table Mtn, the variety of new and unusual food dishes. The animals and not just the ones you hunt, but the ones you see, herds of them. Everybody mentions the beauty of the mountains here ( Alaska ) and they are, but the landscape in Namibia is not just beautiful but extremely varied, from the beauty of the "Strip" to the Desert and the ocean.

Another consideration. If health allows, her and her mother would love your being in the Lodge with them, and with enough time and organization you could make that happen. You could advise, encourage, and congratulate her each morning and evening. I can not imagine how much I would cherish those memories for the rest of my life. Let her practice with and get accustomed to using your 450/400 Double so she could use the same rifle her grandmother used to hunt Buffalo. She could use her 7mm-08 for plains game.

I agree with Bambistew, Durango Mike, Happymyles, Panda Bear, Franklin, and Ben Lamb=======Africa ! :love:

I am happy for her, jealous, but happy ;)

Sheep are not my thing but a African safari would be. Don’t really care what animals are taken, I would focus on the experience, see a world unknown to most of us. See how the conservation dollar’s effect other people’s lives. Experience something life changing so the knowledge base she has can be paid forward to generations not yet born.

Actually the lone "dugga boys" in the thick brush are the challenge, my biggest Buff at 48 inches was one we stalked for 3 days and finally got a clean shot at 20 yards, the 505 Gibbs took out the shoulder and both lungs and he still was hunting us for the next 25 minutes. Why do you think we wear shorts hunting them, easier to clean. I agree completely that restrictions on hunting when a species is dealing with pressure on habitat, breeding population, and most often expanding human activity. I think the closure of whole countries to hunting is an economic decision with political overtones, not a shortage of animals or conservation concerns. The demand for protein is raising the demand for "bush meat", poaching is particularly bad in Kenya, one of the first countries to be closed to hunting. Not "huntability" question, more about rapidly escalating cost of access and politics.

Africa.

the sounds, just hearing the lion roar at night is worth the price of admission. The sights, both during the hunt and after or before, like Victoria Falls, Table Mtn, the variety of new and unusual food dishes. The animals and not just the ones you hunt, but the ones you see, herds of them. Everybody mentions the beauty of the mountains here ( Alaska ) and they are, but the landscape in Namibia is not just beautiful but extremely varied, from the beauty of the "Strip" to the Desert and the ocean.

Another consideration. If health allows, her and her mother would love your being in the Lodge with them, and with enough time and organization you could make that happen. You could advise, encourage, and congratulate her each morning and evening. I can not imagine how much I would cherish those memories for the rest of my life. Let her practice with and get accustomed to using your 450/400 Double so she could use the same rifle her grandmother used to hunt Buffalo. She could use her 7mm-08 for plains game.

I agree with Bambistew, Durango Mike, Happymyles, Panda Bear, Franklin, and Ben Lamb=======Africa ! :love:

Africa.

What I remember the most is the clear sky stars, the smell of sage being crushed under foot, the sounds and the birds! Killing became very secondary to hunting for what was around the next bend. A great suggestion on company in camp, my hunts were 3X more fun when I was with my wife, she does not do cold, wet, mountain tents as well as I do.

Durango, congratulations on your 48 inch buff. I have never taken one that large and have taken many all over the African continent. Am proud of several over 45 and two over 46. I too like to stalk old mbogo with battered bodies and horns when they are alone or with a couple askari.

My vote is for a buffalo in Africa.

I know you said given the price, elephant are out of the question, but have you considered a tuskless elephant hunt? From what I have read the prices are a lot cheaper, but the adventure/excitement can be just as much, or more, as a hunt for a bull elephant.

Heresy I realize, but I'd do a pampered landowner tag in a badazz New Mexico elk unit...might just barely fit in your budget Ms. Europe.
*(even tho you said she's hunted elk)

I’m personally in love with Dall Sheep.... I would take 5k to the Salt Lake City hunting and conservation expo, and put in for all the sheep raffles, also bid on a few at the dinner. Goes to a great cause and you get a sheep tag or multiple 😜, at least that is what I would do.
Matt

Durango, congratulations on your 48 inch buff. I have never taken one that large and have taken many all over the African continent. Am proud of several over 45 and two over 46. I too like to stalk old mbogo with battered bodies and horns when they are alone or with a couple askari.
That one was with Tony H and he was perhaps more proud of it than me, it was my 2nd and we must have waded 10 miles thru the swamp to get the wind we needed. I have never shot a bigger one, took 10 more years to realize how nice that one was.

Heresy I realize, but I'd do a pampered landowner tag in a badazz New Mexico elk unit...might just barely fit in your budget Ms. Europe.
*(even tho you said she's hunted elk)
It is expensive to hunt Elk on the Indian Reservations in Arizona and New Mexico. But they are brutes for sure !.o_O We looked into it when we lived in Texas but never went.

Bambistew and Panda Bear, have you hunted the Fannin and Stone also ?

I am not familiar enough to give good advice on the more exotic options, however, sheep/goat would be a dream come true. Whatever she decides, good luck!

I have finally realized that what time I have left there are a few things I won't get to do. One is fly an F16, the other is go on a Dall Sheep hunt. I am not sorry for what I have been able to do, I am not complaining, but I know those won't happen.

My guess is that your wife won't be flying an F16 anytime soon, so I would suggest the Dall Sheep hunt. The longer you wait the higher the mountains get and the shorter your legs and lungs get.
Get that Dall Sheep and decide later which of the rest of your list will be next...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back