A non typical elk gun thread

I shot 30-06 for years. The weapon itself was not too fun to shoot. I am open to it, but I want the one I have to be amazing. The ballistics are not as fun as other rounds - 7mm, etc. - so I was thinking another direction, but I could be talked into this.

I like the 06 for a variety of reasons, but the most important one is availability of ammo & components. Ballistically, it's not a long range laser, but it does everything a hunter needs within an ethical hunting distance and it does it well.

If you are sold on the 7mm caliber, then I think the 7mm-08 and 280 are the best choices for mass-produced cartridges with effectively the same footprint as an '06 with slightly better long range ballistics.

The PRC's, etc are all fine rounds, but a rifle should be more than just a personalized statement. It should be a legacy that you hand down to your offspring and as someone who has far more obsolete and eccentric cartridges than I know what to do with, the ability to grab 100 rounds off a shelf 50- years from now is not to be underrated.

But honestly, the terminal end of any of the major cartridges based off the 06 or 308 cases are going to be similar.

Get what you want. Make the gun fit you and if it were me, I'd get a boring, functional cartridge that has lasting power so when someone picks that gun up after your gone, they smile because they know they can feed it inexpensively, and they'll be taking you out into the field with them.

i'm also getting on the savage ultralight 6.5prc train. bought one this spring and no complaints so far.

I don't want a thread about elk guns that we see too many of.

Here's my situation - I want a high quality, reliable rifle, that can be used for elk, deer, pronghorn, etc. I have a few guns I might sell to make this happen, and I don't want to go wrong. I'm thinking in the $2k range. I have a Leupold mildot scope that is pretty new and I like it, so I think I'm good there.

If you took me out to shoot your rifle, trying to convince me that it is the answer to this, what is it, and why that one?

Hoping we can keep this thread on track. tnx.
I think a nice stainless walnut wood combo from @p_ham in 280ai would be the ticket. If I could only have one, that is probably it.

I have several rifles in the safe and I absolutely love my son’s 280ai mountain rifle I built him. It it good to look at, feels great in my hands, and will put a 160 grain accubond into a 1”group at 200.

IMG_1739.jpeg

Last edited:
I currently shoot a Savage 270. It just started giving me issues chambering the round. Frustrating.
what model? I've heard people have had issues with that, but i also have a 6.5cm .270, 300 and 22-250, and the only issue i can ever remember was one misfire on the .300 which is an axis.

I don't remember, so I can tell you after work (not that I'm working much today). I love my Savage .243 Axis. Great gun. It's actually my son's, but he went woke so he gets to have none of his guns. They would end up in a gun trade in. Breaks my heart.

I think a nice stainless walnut wood combo from @p_ham in 280ai would be the ticket. If I could only one one that is probably it.

I have several rifles in the safe and I absolutely love my son’s 280ai mountain rifle I built him. It it good to look at, feels great in my hands, and will put a 160 grain accubond into a 1”group at 200.

View attachment 284902
160gr 7mm Accubonds are deadly on elk.

I would certainly give serious consideration to the Sako 85. Tikka is the budget option from Sako and has many, many very vocal fans. I am not knocking the Tikka at all, for the price it a fine rifle but it is not quite the same overall quality as a Sako 85.

I shot 30-06 for years. The weapon itself was not too fun to shoot. I am open to it, but I want the one I have to be amazing. The ballistics are not as fun as other rounds - 7mm, etc. - so I was thinking another direction, but I could be talked into this.
If you can't kill an elk with a. 30-06, something is wrong. What do you mean the ballistics aren't "fun"? I've had it in the back of my head for a long time to build a .30-06 AI. Got a bullet picked out and everything. Don't discount the "old" cartridges. mtmuley

Just my 2 cents….. everyone is putting way too much thought into cartridge. Just pick a comfortable rifle for you with a reasonable cartridge. It will kill an elk….

Just 2 cents from the guy who kills elk with a 44 mag handgun regularly.
Completely agree you can have a stable full of guns and there is always one or two you grab when you hunt. I really don’t care what any one uses as long as it isn’t a bow, that’s just stupid.

I’d get a tikka t3x stainless in 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 prc, 7mm-08,30-06, or 7mm Remington. Get an $8 aftermarket trigger spring, spend $400-$500 on a Stockys ultra carbon stock depending on if you like a traditional stock or more of a verticle grip. Then shoot the hell out of it

Back