Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A non typical elk gun thread

Good questions. Lightweight would be cool, but not sure that is my goal. A buddy of mine shoots a Howa 308. It weighs far too much. I guess the middle ground here.

Long range is important, as I live in Wyoming. Never have understood flashy guns. All of mine will go into the field, might get dings, etc. Reliable, quality, long range, not heavy cannons.
Dude!!!
You live in Wyoming!!!
Who's rifle do you think you ought to get???!!!

If it were me, I'd get a Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT ( the one with Sheridan stamped right on it!) in 7mm WBY Mag.

Oh, wait.....

I already did just that! ;)

$1,800 for the muzzle brake, rifle comes free with it.
:D

Attachments

• 20221023_132634.jpg
    20221023_132634.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
It really depends on what type of elk hunting you are doing.

Road hunting: 12 pounds

Horses: 9 pounds

High country backpacking: 7 pounds but I’d want lighter.

Last time I weighted my Kimber Montana 84L is was just over 7 pounds with scope and sling.

I was wondering what @Djfan thought was too heavy. No reason to suggest Rifle X if it is heavier than what he wants.

Last year, I decided that 1) 9.5 pounds was too heavy for the way I prefer to hunt, and 2) I am not a long range hunter. If I go this year, I will be carrying something lighter.

I was wondering what @Djfan thought was too heavy. No reason to suggest Rifle X if it is heavier than what he wants.

Last year, I decided that 1) 9.5 pounds was too heavy for the way I prefer to hunt, and 2) I am not a long range hunter. If I go this year, I will be carrying something lighter.
I have a Model 70 in 270 wood but it’s heavy, to me, to carry if I’m climbing a lot for elk. Love the gun but it hasn’t killed anything in 6 or 7 years.

I haven't weighed mine to really have a range. I just know that my .243 and my .270 are not heavy to me, but my buddy's. 308 is a howitzer.

If you can carry your rifle strapped on the side of your pack, you might look at a Sako S20 Precision. The rifle with scope is likely going to be 10 pounds or more. But, you can attach an Arca rail just ahead of the magazine. If you are hunting anywhere near sage brush, it is nice to be able to put your rifle on a tripod.

It really depends on what type of elk hunting you are doing.

Road hunting: 12 pounds

Horses: 9 pounds

High country backpacking: 7 pounds but I’d want lighter.

Last time I weighted my Kimber Montana 84L is was just over 7 pounds with scope and sling.
So 8 is perfect. mtmuley

Ruger Mark II M77 in 30-06.

165 grain TTSX at about 2900 fps.

Positive controlled round feed action, cartridge that can do it all in a package that's reasonably weighted to tote on the prairies as well as the mountains.

The 7mm's and the .308 would be in this category as well.

No need to fancy on a cartridge's that may not be around in 40 years. Spend the money on the gun in a catridge that will last.

$2K for the gun means it can be a custom job on any action you want w/ whatever flavor stock you like.
Ya gotta love a Ruger Mark II...they're built like a tank. I have a few in that action and they all work and shoot flawlessly. Good choice!

Dude!!!
You live in Wyoming!!!
Who's rifle do you think you ought to get???!!!

If it were me, I'd get a Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT ( the one with Sheridan stamped right on it!) in 7mm WBY Mag.

Oh, wait.....

I already did just that! ;)

$1,800 for the muzzle brake, rifle comes free with it.
:D
Dude,

Perfect advice! That is a GREAT rifle you bought! How does it shoot?

I have a few Weatherby's in .257 Wby Mag. My "go to rifle" in my safe is a Weatherby Mark V AccuMark in .257 Wby Mag, and it is "stupid accurate!" A little on the heavy side, but stupid accurate. Support our sport, the state of Wyoming, and Weatherby...buy one (or two, lol).

Dude,

I have a few Weatherby's in .257 Wby Mag. My "go to rifle" in my safe is a Weatherby Mark V AccuMark in .257 Wby Mag, and it is "stupid accurate!" A little on the heavy side, but stupid accurate. Support our sport, the state of Wyoming, and Weatherby...buy one (or two, lol).
Shoots just fine! ;)

I got some 175gr ABLR to try in it & my 7mm Rem Mag. Seated over a healthy charge of RL26, recoil is quite stout, even with the brake!
I've since switched to 160gr Sierra BTSP GameKing over RL23.
Also have load development to shoot with 150gr Ballistic Tip over RL23.

I was originally looking for a Mark V Ultra Lightweight, but they have been discontinued.
Bought one from @golfer in 257 Weatherby.
115gr Ballistic Tips over Ramshot LRT are cooking right along!

Dude,

I seem to also have “go to” 257 wby. Seems to knock the snot outta elk with 110 AB.

Before making a cartridge decision, I recommend you check ammo availability. Even reloaders are having trouble getting components these days. The days when you could walk into a store and fill a basket with the best options are not today. Same for just buying loaded ammo. Let alone then having your fingers get 3rd degree burns when a box of 20 rings up over a hundy.

Love the Weatherby suggestion, but weatherby brass is crazy expensive, and powder availability is hit or miss. I think an elk rifle needs some practice behind it, especially at longer ranges.

Pick a cartridge that you can shoot some rounds through.
I shoot a 300wsm in a winchester. It does not meet your weight criteria. But finding brass and powder has not been without patience and finding loaded ammo has been super hard for my nieces boyfriend who also shoots a 300 wsm. He has asked me to load some lighter bullets, hoping to reduce recoil. Another thing to consider in a light rifle.

As for rifle, depending on cartridge, a Kimber Montana, a fierce fury or a barrett fieldcraft(reportedly coming back into production) are my suggestions.

Nothing wrong with a Tikka, I just bought one from here off the boards that I got for a practice rifle to shoot extry rounds through. And nothing wrong with a Ruger, Savage or Browning.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back