A non typical elk gun thread

Djfan

I don't want a thread about elk guns that we see too many of.

Here's my situation - I want a high quality, reliable rifle, that can be used for elk, deer, pronghorn, etc. I have a few guns I might sell to make this happen, and I don't want to go wrong. I'm thinking in the $2k range. I have a Leupold mildot scope that is pretty new and I like it, so I think I'm good there.

If you took me out to shoot your rifle, trying to convince me that it is the answer to this, what is it, and why that one?

Hoping we can keep this thread on track. tnx.

This will probably get a lot of hate but savage ultralight with the proof barrel has a lot of value. I have one in 6.5 prc, has shot everything I have fed it. I have been extremely impressed with it.

What are your priorities? Lightweight? Long range? Flashy?

I have 2 that would have you shoot and see how you feel about them. a Tikka Roughtech in 300WM and my new Seekins Precision in 6.5 manbun (I would suggest a larger caliber if elk/moose are going to be on the hit list). I love both of these rifles and will tell you where the differences are for the price (Tikka $1100 and Seekins $1850). Tikka.....more traditional stock with a little modularity, good factory trigger, comes with a brake, a little finicky on ammo. Seekins.......more precision style stock with great palm swell, Timney Elite Hunter trigger set at 2.5 lbs, comes with pic rail from the factory, total satisfaction guarantee for accuracy and an "vortex" style warrantee on everything for ever on the gun, will eat any decent ammo with great results. Here are the pics of the two. Feel free to ask any questions about either :)

Attachments

• 20211211_095652 (2).jpg
    20211211_095652 (2).jpg
    707 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230623_101522.jpg
    20230623_101522.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230623_092246.jpg
    20230623_092246.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
X-Bolt Western LR in 6.5 CM has done the job for me. Shots on elk/moose are inside 400 yds, caliber is more than enough for them if you can place your shots. Browning makes a quality firearm.

My first centerfire rifle was a Herter's .30-06. For over 30 years it put every deer, antelope, and elk that I shot it at in my freezer.

My current elk rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby. I have 2 more Vanguards in .223 and .308 Win that I plink at the 200 to 430 yard steel gongs at our range every week.

Although I've killed elk with smaller than .30 caliber rifles, I like that calilber for elk. I have no doubt that properly placed bullets from a .308 Win would kill elk out to a quarter mile, but I would rather use at least a .30-06.

To answer the OP's question, I would suggest a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .30-06, 7mm Rem mag, .300 Win mag, .300 PRC, or .300 Wby mag.

What are your priorities? Lightweight? Long range? Flashy?
Good questions. Lightweight would be cool, but not sure that is my goal. A buddy of mine shoots a Howa 308. It weighs far too much. I guess the middle ground here.

Long range is important, as I live in Wyoming. Never have understood flashy guns. All of mine will go into the field, might get dings, etc. Reliable, quality, long range, not heavy cannons.

This will probably get a lot of hate but savage ultralight with the proof barrel has a lot of value. I have one in 6.5 prc, has shot everything I have fed it. I have been extremely impressed with it.
Are you having trouble getting ammo for this? I have thought about the PRC.

Ruger Mark II M77 in 30-06.

165 grain TTSX at about 2900 fps.

Positive controlled round feed action, cartridge that can do it all in a package that's reasonably weighted to tote on the prairies as well as the mountains.

The 7mm's and the .308 would be in this category as well.

No need to fancy on a cartridge's that may not be around in 40 years. Spend the money on the gun in a catridge that will last.

$2K for the gun means it can be a custom job on any action you want w/ whatever flavor stock you like.

Ruger Mark II M77 in 30-06.

165 grain TTSX at about 2900 fps.
I shot 30-06 for years. The weapon itself was not too fun to shoot. I am open to it, but I want the one I have to be amazing. The ballistics are not as fun as other rounds - 7mm, etc. - so I was thinking another direction, but I could be talked into this.

Good questions. Lightweight would be cool, but not sure that is my goal. A buddy of mine shoots a Howa 308. It weighs far too much. I guess the middle ground here.

Long range is important, as I live in Wyoming. Never have understood flashy guns. All of mine will go into the field, might get dings, etc. Reliable, quality, long range, not heavy cannons.
@MTLabrador bought a .308 Tikka that shoots lights out. Might fit what you’re looking for?

I see 6.5 PRC everywhere on the shelves. If I was buying new I’d probably opt for either a 7mm variant or a .308 variant.

A buddy of mine bought a Fierce rifle and really likes it.

@MTLabrador bought a .308 Tikka that shoots lights out. Might fit what you’re looking for?

I see 6.5 PRC everywhere on the shelves. If I was buying new I’d probably opt for either a 7mm variant or a .308 variant.

I’ve been very impressed with the Tikka. About the perfect weight for a mountain hunting rifle, light recoil, cheap and easy to load for, super accurate, great trigger, smooth action. For a purely practical hunting rifle I think it’s very tough to beat.

I like the 7mm round. It seems to be good for distance, deer, elk, pronhorn, etc.

Agree?

Being from WY you might want to check out the Weatherby 307. Pretty much every caliber it comes in will work for what you want, but I would pick the 7 PRC or Ackely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back