MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A non typical elk gun thread

If you reload and enjoy working with your gun:weatherby markv lightweights in any caliber that interests you. My go to elk walking rifle is 300wby ulw that shoots 200 ABs ridiously fast and accurate, not a range rifle but that rifle has a lot of miles and successes behind it. Have same gun in a 06 thats even lighter and still usually find my way back to the 300 because of history me and that gun have. You have to be a reloader as many of these used pencil barrels rifles are for sale on GB and you can pick them up cheap as many dont shot factory loads great, got to do some load developement and usally give them a simple bedding job to really dial them in, many people dont have patiance and just resell them as inaccurate.

Buying factory rifle off shelf new and not reloader i would just recommend the chistensen arms ridgeline, couple variations to pick from but great all around rifle at a good price point.

Having just had a Remington start firing on closing the bolt, I'm going the Tikka route on future rifles.
I'd pick one up in 6.5 CM, work on finding a bunch of H4350 and a pile of 130 TMK/140 ELDM/140 Berger, and go happily kill things.

Having just had a Remington start firing on closing the bolt, I'm going the Tikka route on future rifles.
I'd pick one up in 6.5 CM, work on finding a bunch of H4350 and a pile of 130 TMK/140 ELDM/140 Berger, and go happily kill things.
You should give the 700 to me. Obviously a POS. mtmuley

You should give the 700 to me. Obviously a POS. mtmuley
It's not a 700. It's a 1 piece at a time custom off an M7 action.

A Geissele Super 700 trigger just showed up today, which is supposed to be the most reliable Remington trigger available. We'll see.

I don't know if it's ever happened to you, but it's deeply unsettling to have it light one off when the bolt closes. I don't ever want it to happen again. Thankfully I was keeping it pointed at the target while cycling, otherwise it would have been a round off into the wild blue yonder.

It's not a 700. It's a 1 piece at a time custom off an M7 action.

A Geissele Super 700 trigger just showed up today, which is supposed to be the most reliable Remington trigger available. We'll see.

I don't know if it's ever happened to you, but it's deeply unsettling to have it light one off when the bolt closes. I don't ever want it to happen again. Thankfully I was keeping it pointed at the target while cycling, otherwise it would have been a round off into the wild blue yonder.
So what trigger was in the rifle when it fired? No, it has never happened to me. All my Remington triggers were worked by a Smith. mtmuley

So what trigger was in the rifle when it fired? No, it has never happened to me. All my Remington triggers were worked by a Smith. mtmuley
It was a factory trigger, rifle was a 2002 model. So it likely should have been recalled, I believe. I had it worked on about 4 years ago, and it's been flawless since. Until it wasn't. Right now it will drop the pin well over 50% of the time if you run the bolt hard, and if you run the bolt with the safety on, it will drop the pin most of the time when you take the safety off.

I'm not getting rid of the rifle, as I really like almost everything about it. It currently has a Hawk Hill barrel that's just boringly easy to load for. But it will certainly make a guy think about all the times a round got chambered without a second thought.

The Super 700 is supposedly the only Remington compatible trigger to pass the military drop test. Hopefully no more issues.

It was a factory trigger, rifle was a 2002 model. So it likely should have been recalled, I believe. I had it worked on about 4 years ago, and it's been flawless since. Until it wasn't. Right now it will drop the pin well over 50% of the time if you run the bolt hard, and if you run the bolt with the safety on, it will drop the pin most of the time when you take the safety off.

I'm not getting rid of the rifle, as I really like almost everything about it. It currently has a Hawk Hill barrel that's just boringly easy to load for. But it will certainly make a guy think about all the times a round got chambered without a second thought.

The Super 700 is supposedly the only Remington compatible trigger to pass the military drop test. Hopefully no more issues.
Not every smith should work a Remington trigger. Luckily, there are two near me that know what they are doing. mtmuley

Not every smith should work a Remington trigger. Luckily, there are two near me that know what they are doing. mtmuley
I don't think it was the smith that worked on it, although your point is well taken. Like I said, it had worked fine for 700-800 rounds after being worked on, and then just like that it's malfunctioning. Something is mechanically wrong with it.

I'm not a gunsmith, but from what I understand the Tikka trigger and bolt are both less susceptible to ice and dirt, and less susceptible to this type of malfunction than the Remington system. Couple this with the prefit barrel options available, and I don't see any reason to buy more Remingtons or Remington clones. Others can do as they see fit.

I don't think it was the smith that worked on it, although your point is well taken. Like I said, it had worked fine for 700-800 rounds after being worked on, and then just like that it's malfunctioning. Something is mechanically wrong with it.

I'm not a gunsmith, but from what I understand the Tikka trigger and bolt are both less susceptible to ice and dirt, and less susceptible to this type of malfunction than the Remington system. Couple this with the prefit barrel options available, and I don't see any reason to buy more Remingtons or Remington clones. Others can do as they see fit.
Agreed. No Tikkas for me. mtmuley

I'd go one of these 280AI - 30-06 - 300 WSM - 280 Remington

280 AI: I found a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in 270 used. Only had maybe a box of ammo through it. Had my gunsmith work his magic and put a new Shilen match barrel on it along with some other goodies done to it. 4.5-14x40mm Leupold B&C scope. Man does it shoot and kill stuff. Shot my grizzly bear with it, one shot!

Kind of fun to build something just for you with your likes and desires. Find a used gun like I did and build it to be your Unicorn!
Winchester Model 70 controlled round feed rifle.
Ruger Hawkeye or MKII controlled round feed rifle.
I think either of the two choices would make a sweet build.

I like each of the calibers I listed also. They all would work perfectly for your list of critters you want to hunt.

My Guide Mike Lettis with my grizzly bear. Single 140 gr. Nosler Accubond at 158 yards.
1690057839123.png Cow elk one shot 450 yards, 140 gr. Partition
1690058046747.png 1690058091406.png

Last edited:
I’m caveman voice: Tikka good rifle.
They just aren't for me. Picked one up when they first came out. Nope. That was damn near 20 years ago. Get this. I had a Winchester Pre 64 Featherweight in. 30-06. Hated it. Down the road it went. mtmuley

My wife was in the same situation as you. Wanted a good all around gun that didn’t fuss and not in a new hot cartridge. Got her the X bolt in 30.06 stainless stalker. Same as my 375 and 25.06. Likely the most boring rifles ever made with the best features.

Can put all my brain power and energy into finding animals to kill with these guns.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back