Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

a little help required.

oldman357

back story:
5 days ago i was sitting around telling stories with my coworker, about hunts we had been on and talking about goals for hunting in the future. I mentioned i wanted to pick up bow hunting. 1 because it was hunting, and 2 because I felt like i was more likely to draw the elk tag i wanted with a bow.
Coworker is an avid bow hunter we blah blahed about hunting the mountain range close to work (4 miles away, bow only) then the bell rang and off to work.

Yesterday he walked in with a bow hands it to me and says "here have this, learn on it, see if bow hunting is for you. If it is upgrade and give this to a kid/new shooter/your mom/whoever" He handed me an an old PSE Polaris. I took it to a local proshop after school They informed me that it did fit and i could use it however i really should just upgrade to a 700$ bow off the bat since it was better.:mad::rolleyes:

So this is my question, this old bow will have to do if i'm going to bow hunt this season or the next, problem is it's only a bow no rest, no stabilizer, no sites, etc what do i hang on this thing? I know next to nothing about bows, so any advice at all is welcome. I've been reading this forum alot so i have some idea about some stuff, but any advice at all would be awesome!

Thanks
oldman

don't feel bad about the bow. I own a PSE that is 10 years old and I shoot it well. So I figure why change what works. Killed my largest Mule Deer in 2012 with it. Do some research on the needed equipment. I can't remember right now what i have for a site. Good luck with the new equipment

Plenty of guys here know more than me about current bows and accessories,however from my casual observations the bow market has really expanded in the mid price range.I am not convinced the top of the line bows are mandatory, and worth the extra amount of money especially if you are on a budget.You might be surprised how with a little research and more expert advice you can put together a more affordable hunting bow.Obviously a free bow is savings but it might be wasteful to accessorize this bow with new components.In any case, the newer bows might hasten your shooting proficiency,but that is not to say one can't be an effective hunter with older equipment.There obviously is more than one way to look at stepping into archery.....

Can't go wrong with a Whisker Biscuit rest - very simple, no moving parts. I have an inexpensive Tru Glo 3-pin sight. If you are Western, spot & stalk hunting, you may want a 5 pin - more measured range pins. You don't need a stabilizer unless the vibration or balance is bad. I have a braided wrist sling, just to keep me from dropping my bow out of the tree stand. Get some arrows that are cut to your length and the proper spine for your setup, some field points for practice and some broadheads. finally, practice, practice and then practice some more. Good luck. Bow hunting is addictive!

My advise would be to get decent quality rest, sights, quiver and arrows. All of these can be removed from the PSE and put on a new Hoyt, PSE, Matthews, Bowtech, or whatever you choose later if you decide to stick with the bow hunting. LOTS of options out there, and some are over kill in my opinion. But if you are shooting over 30 - 40 yards I would recommend a drop away rest. 3 pin sight is plenty good for a 20, 30 and 40 yard pin, but get a 5 pin if you will shoot beyond that. Get a quiver that goes off and on quietly and holds arrows with broadheads firmly so they don't come loose. Buy good arrows, and broadheads, no different than you wouldn't buy cheap ammo to shoot a bull of a lifetime with. And as others said, practice a LOT!! all different posistions, angles etc., after you get comfortable from a normal standing posistion. If you go to a reputable shop they will help you set up your bow and tune it, and teach you how to shoot, if they want you back fro a new bow the following year. Good luck and enjoy!! It makes the hunting seasons last so much longer :)

Can't go wrong with a Whisker Biscuit rest - very simple, no moving parts. I have an inexpensive Tru Glo 3-pin sight. If you are Western, spot & stalk hunting, you may want a 5 pin - more measured range pins. You don't need a stabilizer unless the vibration or balance is bad. I have a braided wrist sling, just to keep me from dropping my bow out of the tree stand. Get some arrows that are cut to your length and the proper spine for your setup, some field points for practice and some broadheads. finally, practice, practice and then practice some more. Good luck. Bow hunting is addictive!

agree with CIL. I've been bowhunting since I was 8. . .and until 2 yrs ago, I shot instinctive with a glove. ( no sights or anything fancy) I killed more nice bucks with a PSE fire flight (bare) than most will ever see. having said that, Its amazing what sights, a Whisker Biscuit rest, and a new bow can do for you. If nothing else, it makes you more confident. Practice is the key. good luck.

Get the accessories for the old bow and when you upgrade switch them out to the new bow. Some swear by the fall away rest but I live by the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and still run a whisker biscuit. A few FPS really isn't that big of a deal but I know the new fall aways are getting more reliable.

What CILhunter and wyo556 said -> a whisper bisc / a 3 pin sight and some arrows tipped with field points, then yer golden. Start shootin and tunin! Pick up some broadheads when you are ready.
note: I KISS too i.e. shoot a 10 year old Matthews SoloCam, use fingers (pad) and carry 3 arrows in the field. I did upgrade to carbon arrows years ago so recommend those over alum when buying. Have fun and good luck man.

I don't archery hunt any more because I'm deaf in one ear and can't tell where sound is coming from, but I have had only one compound bow in my life and have shot it a lot and hunted with it several seasons. I would use it again and have no reason to trade up because it works, and I shoot it well. Its an old Bear "whitetail hunter". Its heavy, 50% let-off, adjustable from 50 to 60 lb (I think), and, like I said, I shoot it well.

One of the reasons I shoot it well is because its not excessively powerful. I watch archers struggle to get their bows back to full draw and then have to get back on target. Not necessary with a light pull weight.

I don't use a peep sight. I have a notch in my lower jaw that I use for an anchor point and it works well.

I use a single-post sight. That way I don't have to figure out what post to use in any given situation. If the shot is 10 yards I hold low, if its 30 I hold right on, if its 40 I hold high.

I don't use a release, however a friend of mine can miss and elk at 8 yards using his fingers, but does all right with a release.

You can spend big bucks on all the latest gadgets, but I always shot well without them.

Find out if you have local archery club and see if they have some guys who can make a shop recommendations. (Unfortunately, many guys have moved on to setting up there own equipment as good shops can be tough to find). Anyone that immediately wants to set you up with a new bow, move on.

I do not have time to type all of the things to consider, but there are guys out there who have forgotten more than most will know. There are some basic things which should be addressed before you start buying stuff. Identify your draw length (Most archers tend to set there bows up too long). What is your eye dominace? It isn't unusual to be right handed and be left eye dominant. (Although eye dominance differential can be worked through, it is easier to deal with if it is identified up front. It can be very frustrating to fight through if you don't know why you have errant shots.)

If you are primarily focused on hunting, KISS. You need to decide how you want to shot (fingers vs release) I am a finger shooter, but I am as rare and dying breed. I'll bet 98% use a release and you will shoot more accurately on a quicker learning curve.

I have been shooting for over 30 years and used to teach newbie's and kids for many years. Good luck and enjoy the flight of the arrow.

First, go to a different archery shop. I hate it when I hear about guys taking in an old bow so they can "try" bowhunting and all they hear from the archery shop, is that "you really need a $700 bow." Horse pucky. BigFin is right, the accessories you buy can be moved to a newer bow if that the route you decide to go after learning if bowhunting is right for you. You really need a good rest,a good sight and quiver full of arrows and you can be good to go for killing anything this country has to offer. I would highly recommend a bow sling, will help you concentrate on shooting with an open hand which will improve your accuracy. Good luck!

I have an older Hoyt that is a very good bow. I have better accessories, black gold site, rip cord code red rest, tight spot quiver, B-Stinger Stabilizer. The bow flat out shoots fantastic. No reason to switch and if the day comes and I want to, I will just move the accessories onto the new bow.

oldman- To reinforce some of the comments on here. There are very few people out there who can out perform their equipment. (When you send an arrow through the vitals of a critter, I don't think they care what brand or how old you bow is!)

If you think the bow is the problem, 9 times out of 10 it is you!

As others have said, buy your self decent equipment to put on that old bow. I did that for years.

Honestly, I wish I would have keep one of my old bows, best I ever had.

Old man I agree with the kiss crowd. I'd suggest whisker biscut and 3 pin sight for now. Also suggest peep sight, release, and string loop. The biggest drawback of older bows is the letoff. With my Matthews Drenilin I can hold my draw forever but my old Scepter it seems like never long enough when that critter is coming.
Practice, Practice and then practice some more!
Accessories can be transfered and the later upgraded too!

Count me in the camp of transferring what you buy to your next bow. Also know that when you are ready to look bow prices drop like a rock in the winter after the new crop comes out. A 1-2yr old never shot bow can be 1/2 price.

If you love to hunt you will love bow hunting.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back