Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A little eastern Montana luck

brockel

Eastern Montana has one little district that you can use your general elk tag in because there isn’t enough public land to actually do a draw for. Today while deer hunting some state land I got lucky and stumbled on to a bull at 52 yards. First shot with the 156 grain berger out of 6.5-06 hit him behind the shoulder. He turned quartering away and I hit him again and he flipped over backwards dead. Made it about 10 yards total from first shot. Berger made soup out of the lungs and peppered the offside rib cage. When I was removing rib meat the lungs were pouring through the rib holes. If he had slid 10 yards the other direction he would have ended up in a sink hole I couldn’t see the bottom in.
70C21CD4-AD36-4DEA-BC6F-3A485DADEF33.jpeg4AAB5496-AC1B-414F-8881-682586D1CA49.jpeg3B143898-E618-41EC-9D2B-514A119C52D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet serendipity elk

The left side of the picture almost looks like timbers of a roof....any chance that you found a man made digging? (I think it looks like an old collapsing dug out cabin roof)

Sweet serendipity elk

The left side of the picture almost looks like timbers of a roof....any chance that you found a man made digging? (I think it looks like an old collapsing dug out cabin roof)

I don’t think so. Would have been a really weird spot for that. There’s a ton of these sink holes around this area

Congrats on a nice bull. With sink holes like that, I don't think I would recommend walking in to your spot in the dark.
Walking my catline I stepped on a “bridge” between two sink holes and it caved off. Caught myself on the edge luckily. Never turned around to see how deep it was. Just kept on walking. Don’t take that path anymore

Cool deal. Crazy deal with the sink holes. That would have been an adventure trying to get an elk out of there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back