A Limit Of Grouse With a Colt 1878

shrapnel

I went grouse hunting today and got my limit with an original Colt 1878 Side by Side 12 gauge shotgun. I have had this for quite a few years, shot it in Cowboy Action shoots, but this is the first bird hunt I can recall with this gun. It is hard to balance all the hunting with all the old guns I have, but I try to rotate through them...

thumbnail_IMG_1213.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1219.jpg

That's a beautiful gun, had no idea Colt made side by sides. Do you have to be careful with the ammo you shoot?

George Daw, England. That gun was built in 1867...
My hammer guns are a Page Wood 28 bore made in 1905 and a Watson 20 bore that was sleeved in the 60‘s, both 2 1/2 inch. They have accounted for many Texas quail. The 28 load is 3/4 oz that are still available from Conn Valley Arms, do you load BP?

My hammer guns are a Page Wood 28 bore made in 1905 and a Watson 20 bore that was sleeved in the 60‘s, both 2 1/2 inch. They have accounted for many Texas quail. The 28 load is 3/4 oz that are still available from Conn Valley Arms, do you load BP?
No, I don’t. There is a reason that people quit shooting black powder when smokeless became available. The mess and cleanup on these old original guns is more than I want to expose them to. I do shoot BPCR occasionally, and I do use black powder in my Sharps for that, otherwise I stick with smokeless...

Last edited:
No, I don’t. There is a reason that people quit shooting black powder when smokeless became available. The mess and cleanup on these old original guns is more than I want to expose them to. I do shoot BPCR occasionally, and I do use black powder in my Sharps for that, otherwise I stick with smokeless...
As long as they passed proof I never worry too much about the high quality Damascus just the older continental guns that worry me. If you shoot moderate loads my experience is positive with smokeless.

Back