Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

A Good Weekend

MHMT

It's been a whirlwind season so far, bouncing between school, work and hunting, but Kara and I have managed to make it out most weekends. We gave the elk hell in archery season when we could, but never quite connected. We did manage to kill a lot of grouse though.

MAH_1354_zps5w2x0xpz.jpg

Last weekend however, we traded our bows for guns... which made things a little easier. I knew where about 300 antelope were hanging out in the flats where we started opening morning. It didn't take long for us to realize we didn't want to be a part of the fiasco which involved numerous hunters surrounding big herds. We headed to higher elevation and managed to find a herd with no other people around. We made a long stalk and ended up bumping them at about 100 yards. I then got myself in trouble for rushing Kara and telling her to shoot when the buck stopped at 200 yards.

That being said, I wasn't allowed on the second stalk. Kara snuck up solo on the group after they bedded 1/2 mile away. I waited for what seemed like forever as she slowly crept up in sage. I'm pretty impressed with her stealth and patience. She ended up sneaking to under 200 yards and waited till the buck stood up for the shot.

MAH_2588_zpspf8assb5.jpg

MAH_2593_zps38cr5li5.jpg

Not only does she gut and butcher her animals herself she also packed the antelope whole over half of the way back to the pickup. Also when I shot my doe she had it nearly back to the pickup before I could even catch up.

IMG_2997_zps5y9xouaf.jpg

IMG_3011_zpseff5vjck.jpg

Tagged out on antelope we had an early start back towards Bozeman. We stopped for a bit to glass an area where Kara has a bighorn ewe tag and managed to spot a small group up high. With a decent amount of daylight left we decided to give it a shot. We booked it up the mountain and found the group. Kara made an awesome 200 yard shot and luckily the ewe only slid about 100 yards before coming to a stop.

MAH_2708_zpsvyc18gh0.jpg

MAH_2738_zps6mnykvn1.jpg

IMG_3060_zpszk8ce0ww.jpg

It was a great weekend, probably the most successful two days of hunting I've ever been a part of. Hopefully next weekend we will get some redemption on elk.

Last edited:
I'd say that was a pretty productive weekend. Nice work Marcus and Kara.

Also enjoyed your sage-grouse video and looking forward to elk vid.

Not a bad weekend hunt........
Congrats!
I'd be scared if I was an elk in y'alls neck of the woods!!

Looks like a terrific weekend to me! Congrats to Kara on the hunting success, and to you on the hunting partner success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back