MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A Different kind of fishing

Tksd

All,
I have grown up fishing walleye my whole life and have been underwater spearing for them since i was in middle school. I do this by using snorkeling gear in 10-30' of water. In the last few years since i have moved back to the Missouri River I have had a lot of criticism from many hook and line anglers in my area and I am curious on your thoughts.

I am assuming most of the animosity is from jealousy because I can have success when the fish are not biting on worms.
I decided to through on the go pro one day so I can show people what I do becasue when you tell people you get some funny looks. Hope you enjoy

https://youtu.be/5Y4bblZew4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1ANPV7dZU

https://youtu.be/Ynb9OEUdjjI

Thanks,
TK

Good shoo'tn, Tex! You will never have a problem getting some fish to eat!

My wife and I were fishing at Conchas Lake in NM one time. We met a farmer from Texas that made one trip there each year for a spear fishing trip. He got all the fish he needed for a cookout, without worrying about the barometer or anything. One afternoon, he went diving right in front of the camping area. Shortly, he came up with a real nice smallmouth and promptly offered it to us. We gladly took it and made good use of it.

If it is legal, GO FOR IT!

First time to see freshwater diving/spearing. I had to look up the Kansas regulations....only legal for "non sports fish".

Just quickly looked at MT regulations and it is allowed for northern, walleye, and burbot in a handful of areas.

I imagine most the criticism comes from the fact that catch and release is not an option for that form of fishing. However, one can certainly be more selective in which fish one wants to put on the table. If I had a place full of walleye and spearing was legal I would be all over it.

Anyone who thinks that is somehow not sporting and therefore worthy of criticism is nuts. I'm frankly amazed it works at all. Go for it!

Super cool! I love the idea. Hunting for fish. Even better than fishing for fish.

I have always wanted to try underwater spear fishing. Darkhouse spearing in the winter is a blast. I have known a few people who did it in North Dakota but they all used scuba gear.

To try it out would you just need a spear gun, snorkel and fins?

I have always wanted to try underwater spear fishing. Darkhouse spearing in the winter is a blast. I have known a few people who did it in North Dakota but they all used scuba gear.

To try it out would you just need a spear gun, snorkel and fins?

Yeah that is pretty much it.. just don't forget the diver down flag!!
Realistically you could get into it for about $100-200 depending on the speargun you want. I still use a polespear when i am not in rocks, trees, or current. you can pick a pole spear up for $40. mask snorkel for another $40 and the same for fins.
TK

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back