A ? about wolves and marketing.

dustinf

Does using wolves for marketing help or hurt the on going battle about wolf management?

Does this ad campaign change your opinion of Mystery Ranch? Kletterwerks is one of their "hipster" brands.

C215677D-C02A-4C2D-BBB3-3A2746B6F119-11516-00000BC190BDF1D1.jpg

Neither...no different than using a grizzly bear, mule deer, elk, kangaroo, or giraffe as an advertising /marketing tool.

JMO.

I think it depends on which side you sit on...making them look like tame "Disney" wolves doesn't help the hunting side of wolf management.

Does this ad affect my opinion of MR? Short answer yes..but only because I don't like companies that represent two potentially conflicting ideologies. Will I go out of my way to not boycott MR?...no.

I should add that I'd rather have a backpack made for hispters in Bozeman than one made in China by children

I think it depends on which side you sit on...making them look like tame "Disney" wolves doesn't help the hunting side of wolf management.

Does this ad affect my opinion of MR? Short answer yes..but only because I don't like companies that represent two potentially conflicting ideologies. Will I go out of my way to not boycott MR?...no.

I should add that I'd rather have a backpack made for hispters in Bozeman than one made in China by children

Well said.

That pretty much sums up my opinion.

What? Hunters have to hate wolves now? It's not their fault they've been mismanaged so badly.

Because a company takes pictures of wolves they're anti-hunting?

I'm missing something here.

What? Hunters have to hate wolves now? It's not their fault they've been mismanaged so badly.

Because a company takes pictures of wolves they're anti-hunting?

I'm missing something here.

Never said they were anti hunting.

In my opinion, they are trying to walk both sides of the fence. I could care less how they run their business, it's their business.

I just found it odd, how they are choosing to run a marketing campaign with wolves(or posing domestic dogs to imply they are wolves) and a women sunning themselves together in meadow.

Last edited:
Just so this doesn't turn into a Mystery Ranch debate, here is a different company's status that I saw today as well.

Both of these are what started my train of thought.

9E4B1BA9-9D70-4C29-95BD-54078AB1ED56-11757-00000BDE86F199A3.jpg

It seems ridiculous that people arent smart enough to comprehend the difference between using a wolf as part of a commercial...and others profitting from the ISSUE created by wolves. The ISSUE with wolves is a people problem, the wolves had nothing to do with it. They didnt reintroduce themselves...

It also seems odd that the public shows a high regard for wildlife...and name sports teams after things like grizzlies, wolves, bobcats, lions, etc., then turn around and whine about a marketing campaign using the same???

Now that wolves are under state management and being managed as any other game animal, I just do see the entire point...other than there isnt one.

It seems ridiculous that people arent smart enough to comprehend the difference between using a wolf as part of a commercial...

Bambi has zero affect on people who aren't activists? How many conversations have you had with non-hunters(not anti-hunters) about eating venison and no reference to Bambi is made? I can't say it's never been mentioned, but I'd say 99% of the time someone in the conversation mentions the movie.

Media and advertising have a direct affect on everyone that sees it. There is a reason why it's a billion dollar industry, and the driving force of our consumer based economy.

Last edited:
Just so this doesn't turn into a Mystery Ranch debate, here is a different company's status that I saw today as well.

Both of these are what started my train of thought.

Man, I'd love to see some good ol stats on the effectiveness of bear spray when coming in between Mama and her cubs...Seems more like "use this so a bear doesn't get shot" vs "use this to save your life." Advertising at its finest.

I can abide ignorance,dishonesty not so much. Those people who bought the billboard space that suggested that wolves are going to be exterminated in a bloodbath ,believe that crap.
However when a company uses obvious dishonesty in its advertising it's a turnoff for me. I'm not sure where I draw the line. I want to believe that if I drink a certain beer that bikini clad women will find me irresistible,however never have liked singing,dancing,talking animals. In my opinion the add that dustin posted shows a situation that is as untruthful as a singing rabbit,or talking deer.

i know this is beside the point, but those dont really look like wolves to me. if i saw one of them in the woods id think a shitty pet owner dumped off a husky?

I think it's a demographic thing. Does that ad have the same effect in a state dealing with wolves as it would in a huge urban area? Spook12, if you ever find that beer, let me know! mtmuley

I want to believe that if I drink a certain beer that bikini clad women will find me irresistible,however never have liked singing,dancing,talking animals.

Kathy Ireland was the reason I had my first Budweiser. Pretty sure I made a beer face and thought I was drinking piss. Don't know if I can say piss....sorry fin.

I think it's great. Here's an American manufacturing company who is expanding and growing their product line, adding jobs to a fairly small town and producing goods in America. They've been smart enough to tap into several different markets from military to hunting to climbing and with Dana's repuation as a bag guru, he's got a ton of support from different sides of the conservation community (enviros love him so do hunters). Now they're marketing to young, active folks who love wildlife and have a passion for the outdoors but aren't pigeonholed by the hunting or military labels. People need quality gear; why not choose a bag made in America?

Would you quit buying Leupold scopes because they market gear to long range hunters?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back