7mm vs .300 wm

JohnCushman

Hey guys. I was wondering if there's any advantage of a .300 wm over a 7 mm mag. I know my 30-06 and .308 will kill elk, but I like to use as much gun as possible for the animal. This would be an elk rifle and one time for a bison. With my shoulder dicked up I was thinking about getting a good recoil pad on the .300 wm and trying it, but as it is it thumps my shoulder pretty hard. I have a 7 mm with a limbsaver pad that I can shoot well and doesn't hurt as bad. So, is there an advantage of a .300 wm over a 7 mm mag? I have fat guy as much gun as possible gun syndrome. :cool:

The biggest benefit to the 300 is the kinetic energy. Recoil in any of the 300 mags is significant, I have a 300 WSM that I generally enjoy not shooting.

I like 30 cal for big critters like elk, the 7mag will get the job done just as well. Flatter shooting too. Advantages from one to the other won't be as big on the receiving end as on the shooting end. I wouldn't recommend you dicking up you shoulder worse when the 2 cartridges are as close as they are. Theres a lot to be said for what the shooter is comfortable with.

My buddy killed a bison with a 7RM with 140 grain Barnes. Think he shot it twice. I'd say the 7 mag is enough, but if you look at the ballistics, it's not all that different than a .270. 7 mag will send a 160 grain projectile at about 2950 fps. .270 win will send a 150 grain at slightly less than that, but not much especially if you handload. If you really want to show an elk how you feel get the .300 Win and heavy copper bullets.

John,

You'll only notice the recoil at the range. Get a PAST recoil pad & go with the 300.

Signed,

A guy who loves big boomers.

300. Put em' down...Keep em' Down.
Send a couple more slugs,it shows you care!:cool:

The .024 makes a big difference, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. mtmuley

John,

You'll only notice the recoil at the range. Get a PAST recoil pad & go with the 300.

Signed,

A guy who loves big boomers.

^^^^^ yep. killed em with both, 300 has more thump. I put a brake on mine, helped a lot. it is definitely my go to gun. my son enjoys shooting the 7mag, especially longer range. on a side note, saw your post about your move, good luck with that. meant to post to that thread, forgot. contact Tennvol, he is a hunt talker. good dude, he can help you with making a decision on where to purchase.

Hey guys. I was wondering if there's any advantage of a .300 wm over a 7 mm mag. I know my 30-06 and .308 will kill elk, but I like to use as much gun as possible for the animal. This would be an elk rifle and one time for a bison. With my shoulder dicked up I was thinking about getting a good recoil pad on the .300 wm and trying it, but as it is it thumps my shoulder pretty hard. I have a 7 mm with a limbsaver pad that I can shoot well and doesn't hurt as bad. So, is there an advantage of a .300 wm over a 7 mm mag? I have fat guy as much gun as possible gun syndrome. :cool:

I used to have a 7mm Winchester Mag that I used for elk. I had to sell it when my medical bills got sky high but about to buy another one. I had a muzzle brake installed on mine and it softened the recoil to almost nothing and did away with that big boom that kept me flinching. With that rifle I could reach out and touch someone with it really easy and it's super accurate. I regularly shot deer at 300 yards with it and would take up to 400 yards with elk. It's a dang good elk rifle that's for sure.

I shoot a Rem 700 CDL in a 7mm RM, those recoil pads reduce the kick by 50%. I never shot anything bigger than elk, but they mostly drop onsite. Maybe try handloading reduced rounds for the 300 WM. Good luck

Back