7mm vs .300 wm

I've been shooting a 7mm Mag for 35 years - since 1984. Browning A-Bolt with a 26" barrel, 154 grain bullet. Nothing I have ever hit has ever gotten away. It is plenty of gun.

It’s always interesting to read the comments on these threads. I doubt you will be shooting at an animal at any distance where the very slight advantages of one over the other might even matter. Even in the most OCD persons perception of reality. I’ve shot elk really close and realitively far with both. None of them were breathing when I got to where they fell. That said the 300 is no fun to shoot in a less than 10lb platform without a brake.

I have killed a few elk with a 7mm RM and 1 with a 300 WM. All of the shots were within 100 yards. I cannot say that either cartridge killed better than the other. I realize my sample size is very small, but if I did not like the recoil of the 300 and I was fine with recoil of the 7mm, I would definitely go with the 7mm. I think you would be fine with penetration on a bison with a 7mm and a good bullet.

A brake on a 300 would certainly get the recoil down but I do not like the idea of a brake on a woods gun because of the increased noise/blast. I often hunt in woods that are pretty thick and, even though I know I should always use hearing protection, situations come up when I think I do not have time to use the protection.

I have hunted a lot with both and think both are as good as any round you can chamber. Others are just as good but you can bet you will be successful if you put the bullet were it belongs.

I don't know why you would need more gun than the 7mm RM. I mean since when do 168 gr. pills @ 3000 fps with a .618 BC not get the job done (yeah, I'm shooting Bergers). Then add in your shoulder issue and you definitely need to go pick up a 7. The .300 is better at killing if you put it where it belongs. 7 takes the prize in every other category though. Just my 2 cents.

My go-to advice for these conversations: shoot whichever you enjoy more. They are so close, if there is a situation where you would take the shot with one but not the other...you probably shouldn't take that shot with either.

As always, shoot the gun you like to shoot the most. Any of the calibers you've mentioned are enough gun.

Save your $$ for the midget strippers.

I love my 7mm Rem mags, but also have a soft spot for 300 Win mags. With the lots of range time and appropriate bullets, I have yet to feel under gunned with either for anything I've hunted. However, the 300 Win mag will thump you harder, unless you use a muzzle brake or build a heavier rifle. One of my hunting buddies has undergone several shoulder surgeries in recent years. He normally shoots a Tikka in 300 Win . It has a laminate stock and LimbSaver recoil pad. I watched him dump a nice buck in Colorado this last fall, however, he was in pain after the excitement wore off. If you're proficient with the 7mm Rem mag, and it doesn't hurt your shoulder, I'd say you got yourself a fine elk killing rifle! And I wouldn't hesitate to use it for bison. 175 gr Partitions come to mind.

John, there's always a reason to buy another gun. I mentioned in your shoulder surgery post I shot an animal with my 300WM 5 months after a complete shoulder replacement with zero effect. I hand load 180gr Nosler Accubonds and use them for antelope to moose and stuff dies, with surprisingly little damage to the smaller animals. I have a custom brake on mine that slants forward just enough to push the blast ahead (though I still wouldn't want to be standing next to it). It has about as much recoil as a 270. One thing of note the 300 WM neck is a bit short so when hand loading and stepping the projectile out to the lands there is not a lot to seat the bullet so overall length is critical. Not sure if the 7mm has the same issue. I always shoot my 300 with break over my 30-06 without.

John, 7mm is plenty if it's in the right spot. I have shot a 300 Wby most of my life, and I love the gun - took a buck with it this year, but sure isn't that pleasurable to shoot. A few years back I bought a .270 and I enjoy the crap out of that gun. Fun to shoot, inexpensive ammo and no recoil.

The best gun on the market is the one you are most comfortable with. I'd rather have a medium caliber I had confidence in, than an elephant gun I was hesitant to shoot. My 2 cents.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back