7mm-08: Personal Experience on Elk & Deer

Then your doing something wrong, or picking a bullet the barrel doesn't like.
I tried 140 gr Ballistic tips & Accubonds, Parttions & 139 gr Hornady’s with Varget, IMR & H4350, RL-19 and a couple other powders and it printed shotgun patterns at 100 yards! Tried 120 gr Sierra’s & Ballistic tips too and got the same results!

djochum, I hand load for my 7mm-08 but, when I bought my Tikka T3, I used factory ammo for break in and sighting in my scope. Plus, I alway like to find factory ammo that works should I need it. I tried Federal (I believe Speer Hot-Cor) and Hornady factory 139gr SST and accuracy was over 2" 100 yards. The only factory loads that worked really well was Norma 156g Oryx.

Hand loads that I have since developed are even more accurate. These bullets include Nosler Accubond and Ballistic tips along with Barnes TTSX and Sierra Pro Hunters, all 140 grain.

Have you thought about this? For the price of the next box of wasted factory ammo, you could go to Home Depot/Lowes and get some sandpaper, putty, and epoxy. Free float the barrel channel, epoxy the barrel lug and receiver. It's really not all that hard and doesn't take much time, just U-Tube it. I had to do it with one of my rifles that was a Spray & Pray. It went from 3-4 " to 1" really quick.

My dad picked up a Tikka T3 7mm08 this summer. We have struggled getting anything to group even close to good. He has tried Federal Fusion in 140 Grain, Federal Power Shok, Federal Premium with Nosler Ballstic tip, Hornady American whitetail and Remington Core Lokt.

Has anybody had a factory round that has performed well in a Tikka 7mm08?

Thanks.
Hornady precision hunter 150 grain eldx. 2.75 inch group @400. Its only anecdotal but the clay piles i put up for a rifle range have some major holes in them now

Lots of very good information on this forum about hunting big game with the 7mm-08. My wife has taken elk and whitetails with hers in the Browning X bolt Micro. 140 gr. Federal Premium Nosler Partitions.
Have the same gun with the same ammo for my son.

I have a 7mm-08 in a Kimber Montana and a Remington Mtn Guide. I shoot Barnes TTSX in 120 grains, and I've taken over a dozen elk with them (and numerous deer). I love that caliber/bullet combo for elk. I have several other calibers but I almost always pick up one of my two 708s.

Just bought the better half a Tikka T3x in 7mm-08. Once we can pick it up and get it to the range I will report on what it likes/doesn't like to shoot. I plan on making some upgrades to the Savage Axis 2 in 7mm-08 I have used. That thing is pretty picky about factory ammo. It likes of all things Hornady Superformance GMX 139gr. Have some Fed Prem with Accubonds to try in it. Going to try reduced recoil SSTs in 120gr in the Tikka to see if my better half is more comfortable with that.

Great thread and the young hunters having success is always awesome to see!

New member first time posting. I currently own a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm-08. It is easily the most accurate rifle I have ever owned with no adjustments out of the box. Using 140 grain Nosler Accubonds with Varget

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back