Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

7mm-08 Factory Loads

HighDesertSage

My Co-Worker gave me an absolute steal on a T/C Venture he won at an RMEF dinner. It's a sweet little gun. Anyway it will be my wife's (and son's in about 8 years) new go to gun for mule deer and elk. What kind of factory loads have you guys had success with on elk? I do not handload. I am looking pretty hard at the 140 Nosler partitions. Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

I've only shot 1 box of factory ammo through my rifle when first sighting it in and it was the blue box Federal stuff. Not sure I'd use that stuff for elk but deer I'd be ok with it.

Federal Premium 140 Partitions, Barnes 120ttsx, or Hornady Superformance 139gr GMX probably would be my top.

Federal Premium 140 Partitions, Barnes 120ttsx, or Hornady Superformance 139gr GMX probably would be my top.

Hard to argue with that list, I would try them, in that order. As soon as you find one that shoots good, stop looking and go hunting.

After seeing the effect of 120 grain Nosler Bal tips on elk, I'm a believer. Shooter's Pro Shop has crazy good pricing on factory loads right now.

It's hard to argue with any of the loads mentioned above.

After seeing the effect of 120 grain Nosler Bal tips on elk, I'm a believer. Shooter's Pro Shop has crazy good pricing on factory loads right now.

It's hard to argue with any of the loads mentioned above.

Please tell me this is a typo.:eek:

I took my nephew Elk hunting and he used Federal 140 grain Fusion loads. He got complete penetration through the lungs at 225 yards with his 7-08 on a good size Cow. This load shot well in his Ruger and it flat worked.
Dan

I've been shooting nothing but handloads for years, but the 1st two deer I shot, with a 7mm-08, were with Plain Jane 140 core locks. 2shots=2 deer. Federal makes both the Fusion and Partition in a 140 gr, if you can find them. Which ever shots best would do just fine.

My son has 3 boxes
Of the super 139s and they do well
I shoot federal and have for 20 years
Might be changing colors?
Note; That gun is a sexy round and fun
To shoot!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno