7mm-08 with IMR4064

Chukar007

I’m starting to look up loads for my daughters 7mm-08. I‘ve always been a Nosler Partition fan and will likely continue this with her gun with a 140 grain Partition. Nosler doesn’t list IMR4064 in the reloading data for the 140 grain bullet. I have 5 or 6 pounds of the IMR4064 and would like to use it in a load with the 140 Partitions. Anyone have experience using this powder in the 7mm-08 with a 140 grain bullet? I’m thinking a starting point of 38 grains? I also have 4350 which Nosler lists, but I would like to use the 4064 because I have no other rifle that uses it (the powder was given to me). It’s my understanding that the 4064 burns a little faster than the 4350. I just don’t want to run into pressure issues.

You can get load data directly from the powder manufacturer. Go to Hodgdon site, select your caliber, bullet weight, IMR and 4064.

You can get load data directly from the powder manufacturer. Go to Hodgdon site, select your caliber, bullet weight, IMR and 4064.

Thanks for the reply. The IMR website is where I got the 38 grain starting point. I‘m hoping to find someone that has actually used it before in a similar load just for a peace of mind before I used it. I’m probably over cautious I guess.

I would drop to 36-37gr. My old IMR manual says 39gr for a 7x57, which roughly translates to 38gr for a 7-08. Starting at 36gr and working up would be safer. 39gr is probably fine, but I wouldn’t start there.

38gr is a good place to start.. I wouldn't start any lower.. I had a Browning A bolt that shot bug holes with 41.5 GR IMR4064 in Remington brass and Sierra 140 GR flat base bullets and Rem Primers... Using Sierra load Data.. IIRC this load just started to show signs of pressure. However the gun liked loads hot for best accuracy..

Talking about this makes me feel a little bit sick.. I will say that it's one rifle that I wish I would never have sold..

I tried it in mine but can’t remember the exact load. 4350 shoots the best in mine. Sorry can’t really help you much.

Thanks for the reply. The IMR website is where I got the 38 grain starting point. I‘m hoping to find someone that has actually used it before in a similar load just for a peace of mind before I used it. I’m probably over cautious I guess.
I generally start at 1/2-1 grain below max. I usually find the best load in that range, too. Max loads on data sheets are lawyered up. It is very unlikely that they will hurt anything, but you may see pressure signs, if your rifle thinks that they are too hot.

I would drop to 36-37gr. My old IMR manual says 39gr for a 7x57, which roughly translates to 38gr for a 7-08. Starting at 36gr and working up would be safer. 39gr is probably fine, but I wouldn’t start there.
7x57's because of older military rifles run at much lower pressures

Bear in mind, Brokel's data (Hodgdon), is with a 24" barrel.
If your like everyone else in the world, you don't have a 24" barrel on your 7mm-08 A-Square.
Subtract 21 fps per inch shorter than 24".

Thanks for all the input. My plan is to start with loads using the IMR4064. If for some reason the gun doesn’t like it, I’ll try 4350. It’s part of the fun trying to use different components to build an accurate load. The rifle is Christmas present for my 10 year old daughter. We’ll start working up loads after Christmas. She’s done pretty well with an old Marlin .243 that is heavy and doesn’t fit her well. Looking forward to it.E88D0DAB-72FC-48E3-B517-F99B0F7845A7.jpeg

7x57's because of older military rifles run at much lower pressures

Yes, but with modern brass they have a higher case capacity than a 7-08, and load data in various manuals tends to show loads for a 7-08 from 0-1grs lower than loads for a 7x57 using the same bullet. Reducing a 7x57 load 1gr for use in a 7-08 is an acceptable starting point.

I have Hodgdon's website bookmarked. Its very helpful.

Somebody else mentioned Big Game - I gotta second that. My 7mm08 does very good things with that powder. I can get good accuracy with several different powders behind several different 140grn bullets but Big Game just pushes them all a bit faster. Seems to be made for that cartridge.

I have Hodgdon's website bookmarked. Its very helpful.

Somebody else mentioned Big Game - I gotta second that. My 7mm08 does very good things with that powder. I can get good accuracy with several different powders behind several different 140grn bullets but Big Game just pushes them all a bit faster. Seems to be made for that cartridge.
Have you noticed big game to be temp sensitive?

I haven't done anything to test Big Game's temp sensitivity, although I've seen that concern pop up frequently on message boards. Before I tried it I did some reading on it. The FAQ on Ramshot's website addresses it. It says:

"...However, we test at -40F and +125F and the deviation in most cases are ca 3% to 5% at these extreme levels. Therefore most shooters do not notice much difference under normal practical hunting conditions."

I have not shot anything with it yet, but in the time I've had it at the range I haven't been able to notice any difference. The only velocity data I have for my loads was from early summer. I may try to get out and get some more this winter on a really cold day for a comparison.

Funny how their starting load is exactly what I suggested based on 7x57 data, and yet I was told that it was invalid. 🤔

A couple things, first you didn't recommend a starting load of 38.0 grains...I would drop to 36-37gr. My old IMR manual says 39gr for a 7x57, which roughly translates to 38gr for a 7-08. Starting at 36gr and working up would be safer. 39gr is probably fine, but I wouldn’t start there.

Second, why would anyone trust an old IMR manual for load data extrapolated from a 7x57 from some dude on the internet for a 7-08? Its not like load data doesn't exist specifically for the 7-08.

Third, Brockel gave load data specific for the cartridge, powder, etc. from a reliable source.

There's no way I would start at "36-37 gr." with that powder in the 7-08.

So, no, I don't find it funny that your load "data" was ignored.

Bear in mind, Brokel's data (Hodgdon), is with a 24" barrel.
If your like everyone else in the world, you don't have a 24" barrel on your 7mm-08 A-Square.
Subtract 21 fps per inch shorter than 24".

I went 24" on mine...but when I shoot this barrel out, the next one will be 22" max.

IMG_1057.JPG

Back