Caribou Gear

7mm-08 Ammo question

If recoil is not a problem, could be, then my though would be shooting technique. Hard to believe you found factory ammo that shoot's that bad these days. of course it could be in the rifle too, could be several different thing's. have the bedding checked in your rifle. Couple dollar bills held together slide up the barrel between the barrel channel in the stock and the barrel easily? How about the action. Tighten down the guard screws and then slowly loosen the front while watching the barrel at the fore end of the stock. Does the barrel rise away? But my best second guess is a shooting technique problem. Modern rifle's and modern ammo just don't seem to normally shoot that bad.

Those Barnes are great killers. My favorite in 7mm bullets is the 120gr Nosler ballistic tip. It is wicked wicked accurate in most rifles and has a very thick jacket so despite being a ballistic tip, it penetrates very well. I've killed everything from whitetail to huge caribou with it. It tends to shoot one hole groups and unlike the SST's you usually get an exit at least on deer sized game. Most animals drop very very quickly after being hit with this bullet. And it's very accurate.

i have a question
i have a ruger american chambered in 7mm08 and i cant group under 4in with 140gr bullets i tried various brands.... i beded my riffle maked it heavier and cleared the barrel channel i did all i could... checked the scope and rings
the only ammo i can group is the remmington 120gr corelock hollow point (all bulet touching at 100meters) cant some1 help me

thanks

Thanks guys,
I stopped at the local Cabelas to look at their underwhelming options. I picked up a box of Hornady superformance 139gr SST and a box of Hornady American whitetail 139gr interlock. We will try both of them at some point next week. Naturally in Mass we can't have ammo shipped to our homes so I was at the mercy of what was in stock at the store. I am going to have her shoot the partitions one more time, but I don't think those groups were a fluke...they were BAD.
My 7mm-08 sprayed the Superformance SST factory ammo but shot the American Whitetail ammo lights out with fantastic results on game. But, every rifle is different...

A couple of thoughts I had while scrolling through. Horizontal stringing is usually more the shooter than the ammo - trigger control most likely. She's probably flinching or anticipating with those heavier loads.

About those low-recoil 120gn SSTs, I'd consider that pretty light-endy for mule deer. It would probably work fine, but there are some pretty thick mulies running around and as others pointed out, penetration might be a problem. I would give the 120gn Barnes solids a try and see how she does with those. They will penetrate and hold together much better than the SSTs.

I don't use factory ammo much so don't know what's out there. That Hornady with the 139gr Inter Loc bullet would be what I'd look at. I am not convinced that all these modern super dupper bullet's offer much if any improvement over the older cup and core bullet's. The deal with cup and core is picking the proper weight bullet for the cartridge your using. The only plastic tip bullet I use is the 75gr Hornady V-Max in a 243, Very explosive. The plastic tip I think increase's the BC of the bullet but keep the range to under something like 500yds and there is little if any advantage to a higher BC. I wonder just how much difference there is between the 139gr SST and the 139gr Inter Loc? Only thing I can see is the tip! So what happens to the tip when it hit's? Has to move back toward the base of the bullet and what happens to the bullet itself driving that plastic tip into it? Sounds to me from what I've read, it blows up the bullet! If I were going to use a plastic tip bullet to hunt game it would be either a monolith bullet or a bonded bullet. Never shoot past 300 yds in the first place sothe tip does nothing for me except maybe make the bullet more fragile! In the monolithic bullet it is claimed that tip insure's the bullet opening. Probably be a darn good bullet but I doubt I'll ever try one. Cup and core has never failed me when I chose a proper bullet!

You make some good points to consider for sure.

They call it Super Shock...

The 150 grain works pretty well on mule deer in my wife's .308 win. But after watching the video, I'm not to sure about larger game. Maybe the 165 grain will work okay on elk size animals. They claim it will.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back