PEAX Equipment

Is 7mm-08 ammo easy to get in normal times?

lodgepoleJoe

Thinking about picking up an 7mm-08 for my daughter to hunt elk with. She can handle my 308 but I think an 08 might be a more comfortable gun for her to shoot. I can't find any ammo for it anywhere right now but am curious if it's easy to get when times are normal.

Thanks

I was able to buy ammo every time I went into Sportsmans Warehouse and my small local hardware store, up until the middle of October.

Absolutely, I’d say it’s one of the easier cartridges to find.

That said even with hard to find calibers” you can find something at most stores that have a decent selection but you might just be limited to one type/bullet weight.

Example, .264 win mag... it’s a “rare” caliber but almost everywhere carries it, but usually just 140 grain core-lokts for $60 a box.

Ive seen 7mm-08 at Walmart.

I've never had trouble finding it until recently. It's a great cartridge.

Yes. 7mm-08 was available wherever all the other common ammo was : .270, 30-06, .243, ,300 Win Mag, .308, ...

It is a fairly standard hunting round.
But should be easier to find in times of shortages than 308 or 223.

Reloading will bring out the best in it & the rifle. Plus you can load to more favorably suit your daughter.
Example would be my daughter who is recoil shy. 7X57 Mauser using 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer in PA.
Enough to get the job done without causing her to grimace every time she picks the rifle up.

It's common in my area in MN. Haven't had any issues getting ammo at sporting goods type stores prior to this year. Hope your daughter enjoys her 7MM -08.

I’ve used a 7mm-08 for all of my hunts in the past few years. Fun shooting and easy to find ammo here in CA. Like someone said even Walmart carries it (surprised to see that). Best of luck!

Wife shoots one and we have never had trouble finding lots of options, both in WY and when we lived in NH

Noticed last week local places had none but then again the shelves were about empty of everything

If anyone needs some, my local place has it pre Covid priced. It was quite a bit cheaper than Midway.

You can buy it but it’s been around 45 bucks a box. I did buy a box at Walmart a month ago fro 30 bucks.

Back