Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

73 ranch sold

Nope ... cuz we can't count on you to be truthful when you meet St Peter to join us. :D
Haha! That’s funny. Trying to get back on point here, the point I was trying to make is BLM(federal land) is a known quantity ie we have over 100 years of history if you count general land office times in with it.

The APR and it’s lands are really an unknown quantity when it comes to hunting and hunting access. Will hunting access on these lands stand the test of time? Will they be managed? How will they be managed? Will you have access?Who knows. I wouldn’t count on it. I think it is way out of line to put them in the same realm as public lands(such as BLM). They are private lands and like all private lands hunting access comes and goes. That’s what has made the public lands so awesome. Preservation doesn’t have to include hunting.

I don't have any insight into APR's end game, but if it was to hand it over to the fed, there is no reason to believe hunting wouldn't be part of a mixed use plan.

Refuge and preserve are broad words used to describe many different management regimes most of which allow hunting.

Wilderness Areas = Almost all allow hunting*
USFWS Refuges = Almost all allow hunting*
National Park Preserves = Almost all allow hunting*
National Park = Some allow hunting.

Lands with these designations may have different and more stringent rules than other types of lands but they do allow hunting. Personally I've hunted a bunch of Wilderness areas and Refuges and a couple National Park Preserves.

*Possibly all, but some dork wad would point out the one that doesn't if I didn't include almost.
Glacier and Yellowstone….I know I know, I am a dork wad

guess I’m not a dork wad👍👊
My larger point is that, if they did become federal we could also designate the area the "_ _ _ _ _ National Grasslands". Those lands could further then be protected as Wilderness areas if we so chose.

They could also become a National Park Preserve, like the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in CO, which allows hunting.

Many options. If they are private forever, they are no more or less likely to allow hunting than other private land owners. Though, and here I would like examples, in my experience conservation groups like DU, RMEF, and the Nature Conservancy are far more likely to allow public hunting than other big landowners, ie Wilks brothers, Turner, etc.

As far as hunt rights I think it's hard to argue anything the APR might do could be worse, equal maybe, better maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
My larger point is that, if they did become federal we could also designate the area the "_ _ _ _ _ National Grasslands". Those lands could further then be protected as Wilderness areas if we so chose.

The could also become a National Park Preserve, like the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in CO, which allows hunting.

Many options. If they are private, they are no more or less likely to allow hunting than other lands. Though, and here I would like examples, in my experience conservation groups like DU, RMEF, and the Nature Conservancy are far more likely to allow public hunting than other big landowners, ie Wilks brothers, Turner, etc.

As far as hunt rights I think it's hard to argue any thing the APR might do could be worse, equal maybe, better maybe.
I don't think their ultimate goal is to ever give it to anyone else, especially not an entity like the feds that have large swings in perceived management every 4-8 years. The APR appears to be something entirely different than anything else we have in this Country; giant blocks of private land set aside for limited public use.

The 73 thought they owned everything over there.
It would have been nice if the fed's could have gotten it, but they missed there chance. I think APR is a good runner up to have gotten it.

For the life of me I can’t understand why people have a problem with an organization buying land from willing sellers, preserving or improving habitat, and opening the vast majority of it to public hunting.

They have done absolutely nothing to show that they have a nefarious plan to end all hunting.

For the life of me I can’t understand why people have a problem with an organization buying land from willing sellers, preserving or improving habitat, and opening the vast majority of it to public hunting.

They have done absolutely nothing to show that they have a nefarious plan to end all hunting.
UPOM says they do and that’s all we need to know…🙄😁

somewhere i have heard,,,, that the reason to buy land all the way around the cmr,, is , somepoint in time the cmr lands. tied to apr will make a huge buffalo commons,, with cattle grazing on cmr, the permit system is in place, if there the largest landowner bordering cmr. and all us hook and bullet guys die off, the general public will love to have another habitat to view buffalo,,

and its just heresay for now,,, i know apr gqve us permission to cross some land to hunt sheep one year,

I think it is way out of line to put them in the same realm as public lands(such as BLM).
No one on this thread has done that. You have misunderstood. The point some are making is that much of the APR land has long been private ranches with absolutely no public access, so what APR is offering, temporary or not, is a better situation for hunters and other recreationists. Case on point: my wife and I were able to camp on APR land and hike in places which for decades were closed to such access.

#3 was my only "issue" if you could even call it that, this year. Type 2 BMA = no-access for the peons, at least this year. I'm hope the people who actually got the reservations hunted it, but I sure didn't ever see anyone there.
I too have an "issue" with this, Use tax exempt donations and non profit tax status to buy land, I don't think you should be limiting access.
Could be I an just not a big fan of non profits.

No one on this thread has done that. You have misunderstood. The point some are making is that much of the APR land has long been private ranches with absolutely no public access, so what APR is offering, temporary or not, is a better situation for hunters and other recreationists. Case on point: my wife and I were able to camp on APR land and hike in places which for decades were closed to such access.
Buzz said it was better that APR got it than the BLM. I disagreed and got called a “jerkass that spreads misinformation” 😂😂for my post questioning their intentions. Didn’t state they were fact, just questions. But carry on it’s of no consequence at this point. I will go back to doing whatever it is a jerkass does haha

Buzz said it was better that APR got it than the BLM. I disagreed and got called a “jerkass that spreads misinformation” 😂😂for my post questioning their intentions. Didn’t state they were fact, just questions. But carry on it’s of no consequence at this point. I will go back to doing whatever it is a jerkass does haha
No you got called a jerkass because you were spreading misinformation that APR is anti-hunting or that they want to stop allowing hunting on their land.

Nothing I've seen would even come close to indicating that...absolutely nothing. In fact, just the opposite. I shot a bull on their BM stuff about a decade or more ago. They've expanded hunting and access opportunities since then.

Go reread your post...

Here it is...all misinformation or in laymen's terms, a lie.

Isn’t APR’s end goal a national park? The Yellowstone park of the plains? You guys do a lot of hunting in Yellowstone?🤷‍♂️😂😂

Last edited:
No you got called a jerkass because you were spreading misinformation that APR is anti-hunting or that they want to stop allowing hunting on their land.

Nothing I've seen would even come close to indicating that...absolutely nothing. In fact, just the opposite. I shot a bull on their BM stuff about a decade or more ago. They've expanded hunting and access opportunities since then.

Go reread your post...

Here it is...all misinformation or in laymen's terms, a lie.

Isn’t APR’s end goal a national park? The Yellowstone park of the plains? You guys do a lot of hunting in Yellowstone?🤷‍♂️😂😂
All questions. No reference to anti-hunting stance and I will be damn surprised if I’m wrong in 50 years. For the sake of hunting on those lands, I hope your right and I’m wrong.

Now if I can just draw my darn sheep tag so I can cross APR lands to the public I want to get on before those 50 years is up. That’s going to be the tough part.

All questions. No reference to anti-hunting stance and I will be damn surprised if I’m wrong in 50 years. For the sake of hunting on those lands, I hope your right and I’m wrong.

Now if I can just draw my darn sheep tag so I can cross APR lands to the public I want to get on before those 50 years is up. That’s going to be the tough part.

All questions?

"The Yellowstone park of the plains? You guys do a lot of hunting in Yellowstone?🤷‍♂️😂"

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back