73 ranch sold

Glad apr got it, better them than either a rich absentee landowner or the blm.

Reminds me, about time for a Christmas donation to APR.
Huh…fascinating. Could you expand upon why you would rather see APR purchase this than the BLM?

Huh…fascinating. Could you expand upon why you would rather see APR purchase this than the BLM?
Having hunted that area of blm and the other side of the river APR land I’d take APR. The blm is severely overgrazed every year. The land that became APR two years ago looks better than it ever has since I’ve been hunting the area since 2009 and this year was a heavy drought year

For a few reasons:

1. Their grazing practices are more reasonable and its largely bison VS cattle.
2. The BLM manages wildlife per FWP regulations, meaning its over-hunted and open to everyone.
3. APR provides access under BM to all hunters in places, and some by issuing public permission via their own rules. Meaning its a quality experience for the public hunters that get to hunt the more managed parcels.

For a few reasons:

1. Their grazing practices are more reasonable and its largely bison VS cattle.
2. The BLM manages wildlife per FWP regulations, meaning its over-hunted and open to everyone.
3. APR provides access under BM to all hunters in places, and some by issuing public permission via their own rules. Meaning its a quality experience for the public hunters that get to hunt the more managed parcels.
#3 was my only "issue" if you could even call it that, this year. Type 2 BMA = no-access for the peons, at least this year. I'm hope the people who actually got the reservations hunted it, but I sure didn't ever see anyone there.

Isn’t APR’s end goal a national park? The Yellowstone park of the plains? You guys do a lot of hunting in Yellowstone?🤷‍♂️😂😂

Isn’t APR’s end goal a national park? The Yellowstone park of the plains? You guys do a lot of hunting in Yellowstone?🤷‍♂️😂😂
Not that I'm aware of...but continue with your ignorance.

APR treated my Dad right fair last fall...but he isn't a jerkass that spreads misinformation.

IMG_20201030_121649481.jpg

IMG_20201029_143349925_HDR.jpg

Not that I'm aware of...but continue with your ignorance.

APR treated my Dad right fair last fall...but he isn't a jerkass that spreads misinformation.

IMG_20201030_121649481.jpg

IMG_20201029_143349925_HDR.jpg
Your dad got a good one.

Right off their webpage mission statement:
“Our mission is to create the largest nature reserve in the contiguous United States, a refuge for people and wildlife preserved forever a part of America’s heritage.”

Not sure I’m being a jerkass or spreading misinformation. How do you think hunting fits into this mission? And are you sure it does? I’m just really surprised you aren’t playing the long game on this one Buzz. MT management may never change but it might someday. I would rather see the land be BLM. At least their would be NEPA and public comment before it was forever closed to hunting.

Your dad got a good one.

“Our mission is to create the largest nature reserve in the contiguous United States, a refuge for people and wildlife preserved forever a part of America’s heritage.”

Not sure I’m being a jerkass or spreading misinformation. How do you think hunting fits into this mission? And are you sure it does? I’m just really surprised you aren’t playing the long game on this one Buzz. MT management may never change but it might someday. I would rather see the land be BLM. At least their would be NEPA and public comment before it was forever closed to hunting.
Do some research I'm not your secretary...I've done mine.

Rinella did a great podcast with APR, and hunting absolutely is going to be part of APR, both now and the future. They also have opened up public access to lots of land locked BLM and State...even creating trailheads/parking areas and providing maps of it.

You are aware they are allowing some public hunting of their bison correct? Yes, they charge but its a pittance of what those bison are worth and what Turners, etc. are charging for hunts.

I'm more worried about crooked politicians selling off public lands than APR not allowing hunting, by a landslide.

Anything can change, but I don't think the trajectory for hunting was any better under previous owners.
Correct, as in NO hunting by the public under previous owners where my Dad shot his bull last fall.

Incredible opportunity and exactly what elk hunting SHOULD, and COULD be like in Montana with even slightly better management.

Correct, as in NO hunting by the public under previous owners where my Dad shot his bull last fall.

Incredible opportunity and exactly what elk hunting SHOULD, and COULD be like in Montana with even slightly better management.
You know I totally agree with you on MT fwp management practices.

Trust me I have done my research. Only time will tell if hunting is a lasting thing on APR lands. I’m quite skeptical just like you are skeptical of politicians selling off public lands. Right now APR is on a full out campaign to convince Montanans including a bunch of ranchers they are trying to buyout that they aren’t what they appear to be. Of course they would say they are for hunting and allow some access at this juncture.

I hope you guys are right. And I will say kudos to them for providing some management since fwp won’t. But I for one ain’t holding my breath that this is their final goal. To each their own. I would have much rather seen BLM pull it off but it is what it is.

People act like this land was block management and the public had unlimited access to it before APR. It wasn’t and the general public didn’t
Surely you aren’t suggesting that watching elk behind no trespassing signs wasn’t public access are you?😄

Whether APR provides long term public access or not, there’s going to be more public access than there was before and more than their would have been had an absentee landowner had bought it.

Isn’t APR’s end goal a national park?

Your dad got a good one.

I don't have any insight into APR's end game, but if it was to hand it over to the fed, there is no reason to believe hunting wouldn't be part of a mixed use plan.

Refuge and preserve are broad words used to describe many different management regimes most of which allow hunting.

Wilderness Areas = Almost all allow hunting*
USFWS Refuges = Almost all allow hunting*
National Park Preserves = Almost all allow hunting*
National Park = Some allow hunting.

Lands with these designations may have different and more stringent rules than other types of lands but they do allow hunting. Personally I've hunted a bunch of Wilderness areas and Refuges and a couple National Park Preserves.

*Possibly all, but some dork wad would point out the one that doesn't if I didn't include almost.

Back