73 ranch sold

All questions?

"The Yellowstone park of the plains? You guys do a lot of hunting in Yellowstone?šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚"
Yeah let me answer them for you guys. ā€œNo!! Heck No!!ā€ Fair enough.

We agree to disagree on APR. I think they are bad news in the long term for the area and hunting. Sure they are playing nice now but that doesnā€™t mean jack crap for the long term.

Yeah let me answer them for you guys. ā€œNo!! Heck No!!ā€ Fair enough.

We agree to disagree on APR. I think they are bad news in the long term for the area and hunting. Sure they are playing nice now but that doesnā€™t mean jack crap for the long term.
Would you rather have them drill for oil or build condos? There is no wealthy entity, private or non profit, acquiring wildlife habitat for you and I to hunt ... near term or long term.
Get real. I support anyone who is preserving, protecting, and conserving such great open spaces and wildlife habitat. It is finite. There are many more situations where ranches are purchased and not-so-good practices are being implemented ... so bad-mouth them, not APR.

BTW, would you really be opposed to a nonprofit donating such a great piece of property as a national park? What's the downside there?!! Ain't no more dirt being invented. It is finite!

All questions. No reference to anti-hunting stance and I will be damn surprised if Iā€™m wrong in 50 years. For the sake of hunting on those lands, I hope your right and Iā€™m wrong.

Now if I can just draw my darn sheep tag so I can cross APR lands to the public I want to get on before those 50 years is up. Thatā€™s going to be the tough part.
Should give you plenty of time to start acquiring properties and manage them how you want...and then listen to everyone second guess how you do things and spread lies about your intentions.

Pitter-Patter...times a wasting.

BTW, how much do you donate to UPOM and Save the cowboy?

I too have an "issue" with this, Use tax exempt donations and non profit tax status to buy land, I don't think you should be limiting access.
Could be I an just not a big fan of non profits.
Churches? Religious-based hospitals? Girl Scouts? Any issues with them buying land? Iā€™m with you Iā€™m not being a fan of non-profits. But I want to make sure feelings in this situation arenā€™t driven by the normal hyperbole being pushed through the region.

Churches? Religious-based hospitals? Girl Scouts? Any issues with them buying land? Iā€™m with you Iā€™m not being a fan of non-profits. But I want to make sure feelings in this situation arenā€™t driven by the normal hyperbole being pushed through the region.
The LDS are one of the largest landowners nationwide, and are the largest landowner in many states.

I am ok with those or even APR buying property to build a church, a hospital or a headquarters. A little more iffy on something like Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch, but could be persuaded it is a good idea. A religious group like the Mormons buying up big ranches, not one bit. To me nonprofit should be when income is equal to expenses, pay your fair share of taxes on the rest. Using nonprofit status to accumulate a large amount of assets is not what a nonprofit should be doing in my opinion.

I am ok with those or even APR buying property to build a church, a hospital or a headquarters. A little more iffy on something like Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch, but could be persuaded it is a good idea. A religious group like the Mormons buying up big ranches, not one bit. To me nonprofit should be when income is equal to expenses, pay your fair share of taxes on the rest. Using nonprofit status to accumulate a large amount of assets is not what a nonprofit should be doing in my opinion.
A huge portion of the LDS churches land, does not fall under the tax exempt side of the church. People often overlook this, but the church has two different and distinct sides, the non profit and the profit even on their land holdings. The non profit land is used mostly to produce wheat for their worldwide Humanitarian efforts. And then the cattle ranch in Florida I guarantee they pay taxes on that side of things.

Is this any different or the same as The Nature Conservancy?
In our area of WI, I welcome their actions. It's hard to hunt a subdivision.
The Nature Conservancy seems to take better care of its properties by clearing of invasive. Also, once I am able to hunt it, I'm not run over by mountain bikes

Is this any different or the same as The Nature Conservancy?
In our area of WI, I welcome their actions. It's hard to hunt a subdivision.
The Nature Conservancy seems to take better care of its properties by clearing of invasive. Also, once I am able to hunt it, I'm not run over by mountain bikes
Youā€™re not able to hunt all tnc property, itā€™s definitely a case by case basis.

Should give you plenty of time to start acquiring properties and manage them how you want...and then listen to everyone second guess how you do things and spread lies about your intentions.

Pitter-Patter...times a wasting.

BTW, how much do you donate to UPOM and Save the cowboy?
Exactly $0000. How much do you donate to APR?

I think APR buying land has value unto itself even if a fella can't hunt it. (I am aware you can hunt it, for the record.) I would think having someone put in a buffalo preserve or whatever that you can't hunt would still beat a condominium, cattle ranch or mineral development (that you also can't hunt)... for the animals' sake even if not for the hunter's benefit.

That said again I know you can hunt it and I would like to one day. That's a really neat bull Buzz's father shot. I would like to kill a good bull on some true prairie terrain.

Would you rather have them drill for oil or build condos? There is no wealthy entity, private or non profit, acquiring wildlife habitat for you and I to hunt ... near term or long term.
Get real. I support anyone who is preserving, protecting, and conserving such great open spaces and wildlife habitat. It is finite. There are many more situations where ranches are purchased and not-so-good practices are being implemented ... so bad-mouth them, not APR.

BTW, would you really be opposed to a nonprofit donating such a great piece of property as a national park? What's the downside there?!! Ain't no more dirt being invented. It is finite!
You make a good point on the development side of things. Right now itā€™s the wind farms that are absolutely ravaging the landscape so if they will keep that from happening than that is one positive.

As far as National parks go, they draw in people like stink draws in flies so they arenā€™t really my cup of tea either. Iā€™m glad we have a few so that all the otcā€™s have a place to flock but for me they are a place to avoid similar to downtown Billings. I would rather APR not try for a national park as I suspect the fed lands would get designated with them.

I think APR buying land has value unto itself even if a fella can't hunt it. (I am aware you can hunt it, for the record.) I would think having someone put in a buffalo preserve or whatever that you can't hunt would still beat a condominium, cattle ranch or mineral development (that you also can't hunt)... for the animals' sake even if not for the hunter's benefit.

That said again I know you can hunt it and I would like to one day. That's a really neat bull Buzz's father shot. I would like to kill a good bull on some true prairie terrain.
Key word some. Some people can hunt some of it. some of it is in actual block but some isnā€™t.

A huge portion of the LDS churches land, does not fall under the tax exempt side of the church. People often overlook this, but the church has two different and distinct sides, the non profit and the profit even on their land holdings. The non profit land is used mostly to produce wheat for their worldwide Humanitarian efforts. And then the cattle ranch in Florida I guarantee they pay taxes on that side of things.
Can the people giving the donations to the church that is used to buy this property deduct the donations from their taxes?

Last edited:
Key word some. Some people can hunt some of it. some of it is in actual block but some isnā€™t.
Back to my original point, use tax exempt money to buy a large amount of property, the taxpayers should not be denied access. If you what to have control on how the property is used don't use nonprofit status or tax exempt money to buy the property.

This is my beef, use tax exempt money to buy a large amount of property, the taxpayers should not be denied access. If you what to have control on how the property is used don't use nonprofit status or tax exempt money to buy the property.
One other key point I am going to make and than I need to move on to crafting my comments for 22-23 to fwp is the escalation in property values.

APR had an indirect impact on why the 73 ranch deal with RMEF and BLM fell through. The property owner had a number in mind (based on APRā€™s offers and past purchases) but unfortunately during the appraisal process because APR is a non-profit those numbers couldnā€™t be considered into the appraisal resulting in a low appraisal and effectively killing the deal. So there you have it, even the federal government canā€™t compete with APR for these ranches. I reiterate I would have much rather seen it as BLM land. Private is private even if it has a mission statement, a fancy website, and a large staff.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back