7 Mag Bullet Choice

WesternRookie

Assuming accuracy is equal, which would you personally prefer for a bull elk hunt?

175 gr Nosler Partition @ 3000 fps

140 gr Barnes TTSX @ 3190 fps

With the current lineup of .284 bullets currently available, our discussion would be much shorter if we discussed which bullets would be bad choices.

You will never be able to tell the difference in terminal performance with either of the 2 bullets you mention on elk. However, the difference in recoil and trajectory will be obvious.

Personally, I would lean towards something like a 150-160 Partition/Accubond or a 140-150 TTSX.

Good luck

Instead of recommending something other than the two choices you gave, I would ask:

How far are you capable of and willing to shoot at game, with either of those bullets?

I'm fairly certain that both will do just fine, but what about at 300 yards? 400 yards? 500+yards??

I personally would lean towards the heavier of those two you named, assuming everything else is equal.

My father only used one bullet in his 7mm for everything from antelope, deer, and elk. IT was a 160 gr. Partition. It never failed him either.

If it was me I would go with one of these if either shot very well in your rifle. I would go with the one that was most accurate.

160 gr. Accubond
160 gr. Partition

If you can get 3,000 fps (using a chronograph) with the 175 then that would be clearly my choice between the two. I have killed quite a few elk with the NP. As mentioned above the 160 grain Accubond would be an excellent choice.

I started with 140g Barnes TTSX and switched last year to 150g Barnes. Trajectory is almost exactly the same and get a little more energy out of it, about 150 ft-lbs. I was hunting an area where 3-400 yd shot would be necessary. Took a cow with one shot.

Assuming accuracy is equal, which would you personally prefer for a bull elk hunt?

175 gr Nosler Partition @ 3000 fps

140 gr Barnes TTSX @ 3190 fps
Really depends what your rifle likes shooting. My rifle likes heavier bullets so i shoot 168 Berger. If like you said accuracy is the same 140 would be plenty for elk, but I do love nosler bullets.

Really depends what your rifle likes shooting. My rifle likes heavier bullets so i shoot 168 Berger. If like you said accuracy is the same 140 would be plenty for elk, but I do love nosler bullets.

I have worked up many loads with many bullets, and these are the two most accurate, and these are the velocities I get, which is why I posted the original post the way I did. I know folks can't help themselves though, this is the internet after all, lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back