7.3 Powerstroke...yes or no?

Most of the cold weather starting problems are fuel related, not truck related. I had a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 and it was awesome. My dad still has a 2000. If you are going to have cold weather, make sure you get some #1 fuel in there. My dad owns a couple of gas stations and when cold weather hits, people gel up and it is not the trucks fault. Don't buy fuel at out of the way stations either when on a trip, try and fuel at truck stops or other high volume stores if possible. And get #1 in there if it is going to be cold!!!

Many think that 7.3 is the best diesel motor ever made and I couldn't argue with them.

I have owned my 99 f-350 7.3 diesel for over 10 years. The only time it wouldn't start was when it was -36 degrees and I was ice fishing. But then again nothing would start except the ice auger, so we kept drilling holes and fishing. We even had to swap out the propane tanks rotating them inside the camper to build up enough pressure to run the heater. We couldn't cook and run the heater at the same time because the tanks wouldn't build up enough pressure. It was COLD.... :)
But I love the truck and tow my 5th wheel with my boat behind it all summer long.
John

Unless my math is bad, I've yet been able to make a diesel pencil out for me. If I pulled something heavy, quite often that would probably change that. The mileage and longevity are very attractive, but the added out of pocket outweighs that for me.

Similarly, I'd prefer a truck with a topper/shell over an SUV. FWIW...

John, Unless you have a real heavy Bumper pull trailer a Diesel is alot of extra money just to have a Chick Magnet. I pulled or pull both a Gooseneck and a heavy bumper pull as my way of justifying my F250. John

Thanks for all of the replies. I priced out the cost of a trip back home to NY with the gas vs diesel prices and the difference in MPG between my truck and the Excursion and it was only like a $45 difference in total fuel cost. I plan on buying a friend's 24 ft bumper pull camper in the near future and I know my Chevy won't tow it worth a crap. Plus I like that I can fold the back seat down and sleep in the back of it for quick weekend hunting trips. I'm still trying to work the details of a deal with the dealership, so I'm still not sure if I'm getting it...but I'm hoping I do :D

My 01 7.3 was the best truck I have ever had the pleasure of owning. With a 6speed trans a chip and 4 in exhaust my 4door long bed f350 would get 20-22 mpg freeway. I'm sure an ex would be capable of similar if set up properly.

If its an automatic trans look that over thoroughly as it can be a weak link behind the 7.3.

You can get HD glow plug relays for the 7.3 that won't crap out when you start before the light goes out.

Stancor 586-902

the most common hard starting issue with the 7.3 is the glow plug controller solonoid or the glow plugs them selfs,,,niether of are too hard to fix...p m me if you need any 7.3 mechanicle advice. Have worked on alot of them in the past.////.6.0 powerjokes are a whole other disaster moter,,,no mater what you do to em ,the 6.0 is a moneypit,unrelieable and costly

I'm also running an "old" Powerstoke, and have changed some glow plugs, and... maybe another item or two.
But my "unfortunately" ex-neighbor/mechanic told me years ago that Powerstrokes run "forever". So I'm only a little over 200K, so we'll see...
But then just today, learned how to replace front brake pads on our '03 Explorer! Can't help but laugh...
All you need is a son (and Google!) who's done it before, and four hands work way better than two when you're using an old C clamp to re-position the hydraulics, but some people think farming is dull!!!

I say buy it, paint it like this, then get the matching jumpsuit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 469
Mr. Cushman, Ive been hauling trailers with 7.3' s since they came out with them. Some guys will tell you the transmission can be problematic. Years of learning the hard way, and having a good friend who is a Ford mechanic, taught me one thing. Its not truly the transmission that is the problem, its the tranny cooling system.

A 2000 Ford has an undersized tranny cooler. Under load, it overheats the tranny fluid which ultimately leads to tranny failure.

If I was buying the pickup myself, with the intention of pulling a trailer of any size, especially in mountains, the very first thing I would do is find a transmission cooler from a Ford 6.0 diesel in a junkyard. While the 6.0 L engine is junk the tranny coolers are enormous compared to the 7.3 and they are compatible. If a guy invests in this upgrade I can almost guarantee youll eliminate most tranny problems. And, yes, a used one from a junk yard will work just fine.

Its not too difficult of a job for a guy to do himself and its not too expensive to have a mechanic do for you.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I had a 99 f-350 for 10 years. When I sold it there was 232000 on it. There are some regular things you need to do, air filters and fuel filters are a must to be clean. If not it will crank but not fire. You also need to use additive "Stanedyne" is recommended to keep the fuel lubricated due to the new diesel fuel being cleaner. Figure about an additional $.10 a gal of fuel for cost. I had cold weather starting problems also as the miles added up. I would take my Honda 2000 generator and plug it in if it would sit for over 4 hours in temps under 20 then it would start great. Also it was critical for the batterys to be putting out full amps or again it was hard to start. Replacing the 2 batterys is pricey :(
I now have a 2006 with the 6.0 and so far so good starts good and has more power BUT it has a bad reputation. So maybe I should get it paid off and look for a 2011 with the 6.7. I know a guy that had the 6.4 and the mileage really sucked but it ran good just not past the gas station LOL.
If your not towing the added cost for the diesel really is hard to justify. when you pencil out the actual costs the diesel is not cheaper.
Just $.02
Dan

Big fan of the 7.3 never had any problems with mine, still wish I had that truck but not a very economically sound vehicle lol

I think I got my 27K worth out of this one.

15 years of ownership, 350,000+ miles, 16 mpg

2 clutches (150k miles from each)
2 sets ball joints
1 set glow plugs @150k with clutch
1 alternator
1 water pump
1 dip stick mount
4 aftermarket door actuators ($4.95 ea)
1 aftermarket cam sensor
1 windshield (pitted from or winter road cinders)
cheap glow plug relay every two years
trak bar broke off as they all do, threw it in the dumpster

Fuel filter gets changed every year or two
Air filter this summer. Bought the last one 4-5 years ago (Ford Micro)
oil change 5k-15k

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back