6.8 Western

What on earth are you blathering about?
You said you were all for innovation. Innovative polymer ammo cases for the 6.8 western. Just another wiz-bang gimmick for those who have to have the latest & greatest just for the bragging rights around the campfire. When everyone is tired of hearing about the latest Creedmoor.

I happen to like most of the newer browning rifles and have been wanting one in 270wsm. Problem is, they haven't offered it in the hell's canyon or pro lines apparently because of their development of this round. Well, now they have this being offered in the type of cartridge I've been looking for. Just because it says 6.8 western won't deter me, as I've been wanting a short action 270. It's the new kid on the block and certainly has me interested in another browning.

Great Idea and variety is the spice of life. I really like the killing performance of those heavy long soft bullets. Lots of advantages regardless of distance.

You said you were all for innovation. Innovative polymer ammo cases for the 6.8 western. Just another wiz-bang gimmick for those who have to have the latest & greatest just for the bragging rights around the campfire. When everyone is tired of hearing about the latest Creedmoor.
Respectfully, that is a straw man argument, and a terrible one, at that. Nowhere were polymer cases mentioned. What was actually being discussed, were the merits of an efficient .277 cartridge that was finally designed to shoot heavy, high-BC bullets with relatively low recoil.
I’m genuinely curious as far as your personal opinion goes, at what point in cartridge evolution did true innovation end, and wiz-bang begin? What’s the hard-stop, last cartridge designed that’s acceptable, in your mind?

Respectfully, that is a straw man argument, and a terrible one, at that. Nowhere were polymer cases mentioned. What was actually being discussed, were the merits of an efficient .277 cartridge that was finally designed to shoot heavy, high-BC bullets with relatively low recoil.
I’m genuinely curious as far as your personal opinion goes, at what point in cartridge evolution did true innovation end, and wiz-bang begin? What’s the hard-stop, last cartridge designed that’s acceptable, in your mind?
Very well said.

This new cartridge seems just like the pain reliever aisle in the store. You've got Tylenol caplets, tablets, gelcaps, geltabs, extra strength, regular strength, also available in liquid form. Same thing with Motrin, Aleve, Bayer, Excedrin, you get the idea.
Do we need to have all of them?
It's all the exact same thing, accomplishes the same results but the company gets that much more space on the shelf.
Winchester is doing the same thing.

For those confused about the polymer ammunition I believe this is what is being referenced: https://www.tvammo.com/

The next generation squad weapon is supposed to be based on a 6.8 mm and there are a few competitors - the other notable is the sig .277 fury.

New cartridge by Browning / Winchester. 270 wsm shorten the shoulder to load longer heavy bullets. 1 in 7.5 twist. New great long range hunting caliber. I for one think this is ridiculous. How far do you have to shoot a game animal? Whatever happened to spot and stalk?
I am a 270/270wsm man from way back. Have killed elk at 525 yards with the wsm because I had to not that I wanted to. That to me is pushing it but was a now or never situation. Conditions were perfect or I would not have done it. Funny thing is, the articles touting it as a long range killer, they only killed game at 200 yards. My thought is, if you want to shoot heavier bullets, get a 300 wsm. But that doesn’t start with 6..
I guess the GREAT 6.5 cm ain’t so great after all. Had to come up with something better.....270 Caliber, like I been tell people all a long.
sorry for the rant.
I’m more excited about the 280AI offerings personally but this cartridge looks great too.
What state is that??
Pretty much every state with elk east of the Mississippi from what I understand.

Opinions vary. I'm out.

So looking at the data, is the 6.8 western to .270, what .300 wby is to .300 win?
I would say it's slightly more nuanced than that, only because it was designed around shooting newer, heavier bullets that any standard .270, .270Wby, or .270WSM was unable to, due to twist constraints in factory rifles. As far as launching the same, standard .277 bullets faster, like your example shows, I don't think it eclipses the WSM or Weatherby. What it finally does, is help heavy, sleek .277 bullets become more standardized, and should encourage manufacturers to pursue more variety of said bullets. Now, instead of being just being constrained to Matrix 165s, we will have Nosler and Sierra to add to the mix. Granted, the Noslers were already getting traction because of the new .27 Nosler, but the 6.8W is geared towards a larger consumer base--those who, like myself, admittedly, don't appreciate a lot of recoil.

Another side benefit to increased offerings in heavy .277 cal bullets, we might also see faster twist rates in standard .270s, just like what eventually happened with the .260Rem. The .270 Win could see a marked increase in downrange performance. As anyone can see as far as my participation in this thread, I'm a fan of what they're doing. Time will tell if it has sticking power, but I really hope that it does. I think I will end up ordering one of the new Extreme Weathers from Winchester, and probably sell my .270WSM or my 6.5 PRC. Maybe I'll be the first of many converts, or maybe I'll be that guy in 10yrs scrambling to find components. Either way, I like the concept of this new round.

So that will affect roughly .001% of elk hunters? Or is that .01%? :unsure:
Don’t know or care... but legal is legal. It’s a thing that people that live in those areas have to be concerned with and no doubt some of them travel to Western states as well. For someone starting out fresh this is clearly another capable option and that was the point. The whole rationale (for me) in deciding to go with 7mm based cartridges was driven partially by the fact that they’re widely available, elk legal (if I get drawn), and effective if I do my part. The second point eliminated all things smaller than 27 caliber FOR ME as I think in practical terms.

Doesn’t mean that I don’t believe that elk can be harvested with smaller calibers but I’m not going to jail (or be fined) to prove a point either. This cartridge is just another all-around capable option and will breathe new life into 27 caliber options bullet wise.

I think it's cool. Just another option for we consumers and will likely have some peripheral benefits like increased choices for 277 slugs and may encourage manufacturers to speed up the twist on the original 270 and 270 ws. That alone would benefit the users of those cartridges and make it worthwhile.

I do agree with the application message needing to change. Too many hunters are embracing the long range gamble w/o the requisite training and experience and its going to hurt the rest of us.

I think it's cool. Just another option for we consumers and will likely have some peripheral benefits like increased choices for 277 slugs and may encourage manufacturers to speed up the twist on the original 270 and 270 ws. That alone would benefit the users of those cartridges and make it worthwhile.

I do agree with the application message needing to change. Too many hunters are embracing the long range gamble w/o the requisite training and experience and its going to hurt the rest of us.
I wonder about hunters "embracing long range" and it being a problem. Depending on where you're at, just finding a critter at 300+ yards (let alone 500+) can be quite challenging. Then, hitting one at all at that range, in a field position, requires pretty reasonable shooting skills. It's pretty easy to be off by feet. I'm all for improving skills, only taking shots that we're super confident in - but I'm sure nearly every one in this board has stories of missed/botched shots, I don't think a fancy new round is going to change that.

Back