Caribou Gear Tarp

6.8 Western

Pretty much every state with elk east of the Mississippi from what I understand.
Not MI.. or WI. Or PA or TN not sure where you got pretty much every state. I didn't look any further but I would say you got that part of the statement wrong.. I do know KY has that restriction..

In TN you could hunt elk with a 22 Hornet...

Last edited:
Not MI.. or WI. Or PA or TN not sure where you got pretty much every state. I didn't look any further but I would say you got that part of the statement wrong.. I do know KY has that restriction..

In TN you could hunt elk with a 22 Hornet...
PA used to be restricted to no less than 27 cal and 130 gr but was changed a few years back to 26 cal and 120 gr

It's a hard caliber for me to understand. Especially with 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC hot off the press and clearly gaining traction. To me, these two cartridges fit the same principal as the 6.8 western. Stubby case, long ogive, heavy for weight bullets optimized for long range. In practice, there isn't anything in the lower 48 that can be taken with a 6.8 Western that a 6.5 PRC couldn't, regardless of (realistic hunting) range. Past that, 300 PRC is a valid evolution of the 30 caliber cartridge, and does a lot that the 6.8 can't. To me, it's a weird in between that just doesn't sell against what is available and established.

Winchester couldn't realistically build new .270 WSMs with faster twists and offer higher B.C. ammo. Bubba would be pissed when his beloved WSM wouldn't shoot the new fangled sleek bullets. This was the only practical way to get the .277" diameter into the high B.C. world. I won't be buying one but I get it.

Winchester couldn't realistically build new .270 WSMs with faster twists and offer higher B.C. ammo. Bubba would be pissed when his beloved WSM wouldn't shoot the new fangled sleek bullets. This was the only practical way to get the .277" diameter into the high B.C. world. I won't be buying one but I get it.
I may buy one but then I am stupid like that.

I like the idea, needed/wanted something between 6.5 and 338 win mag for years...bought one. I do have a RMEF Kimber Mt. ascent in 7mm. But ive never even put a scope on it. I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to shoot it

This new cartridge seems just like the pain reliever aisle in the store. You've got Tylenol caplets, tablets, gelcaps, geltabs, extra strength, regular strength, also available in liquid form. Same thing with Motrin, Aleve, Bayer, Excedrin, you get the idea.
Do we need to have all of them?
It's all the exact same thing, accomplishes the same results but the company gets that much more space on the shelf.
Winchester is doing the same thing.
Perhaps, but they need to sell new rifles and new cartridges do that.

I never understood why people get so mad about new cartridges coming out. Being a gun nut would be pretty damn boring if we all had 30-06s
They said the same thing about my .30 Nolser and my .28 Nosler. They are not a 300WM and 7 mm. I love my 270WSM but if this is better great. I like new shiny, different abc better things. Cars, guns, gear, tools they have all gotten better and more enjoyable.

If the ammo shortages have taught me anything it's that having a niche caliber rifle during times of high demand is actually a good thing. Look at the shelves in all the gun stores....plenty of 26, 28, even 30 Nosler, but nothing in 300 win, 270 win, 300RUM

I am pretty excited to check it out. I always like messing with new stuff. Wont be any different for this.

What does a 300PRC do that a 300RUM or 30-378 can’t(or Norma & others)? Not that it matters to me how much overlap there is, but there are about 15 .30 caliber magnums out there. I couldn’t imagine a less valid cartridge evolving- lol.
Fit certain actions better with certain bullets while still having the bullet close to the lands...

The 6.8 may make valuable rifles for future sales.
Because, I think it will fax faster than shaving cream in a hot bath.
It was iffy anyway for sales, but the ability to purchase ammo and find rifles on the shelves will likely kill it off in a year or two at best.
Probably great cartridge though.

Wish Winchester had offered faster twist barrels for my WSM. All the ammo I've seen for the 6.8 have been Accubond LR. Haven't met anyone who prefers them over the regular Accubond. Would be neat to shoot heavier copper out of my rifle.

Wish Winchester had offered faster twist barrels for my WSM. All the ammo I've seen for the 6.8 have been Accubond LR. Haven't met anyone who prefers them over the regular Accubond. Would be neat to shoot heavier copper out of my rifle.
If you are shooting a .270 WSM, may I suggest the 124 grain Hammer Hunter. mtmuley

If you are shooting a .270 WSM, may I suggest the 124 grain Hammer Hunter. mtmuley
I've looked at it. Have some 110gr Barnes I bought on clearance. My 70gr .243 Hammers arrived today.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back