6.8 Western

New cartridge by Browning / Winchester. 270 wsm shorten the shoulder to load longer heavy bullets. 1 in 7.5 twist. New great long range hunting caliber. I for one think this is ridiculous. How far do you have to shoot a game animal? Whatever happened to spot and stalk?
I am a 270/270wsm man from way back. Have killed elk at 525 yards with the wsm because I had to not that I wanted to. That to me is pushing it but was a now or never situation. Conditions were perfect or I would not have done it. Funny thing is, the articles touting it as a long range killer, they only killed game at 200 yards. My thought is, if you want to shoot heavier bullets, get a 300 wsm. But that doesn’t start with 6..
I guess the GREAT 6.5 cm ain’t so great after all. Had to come up with something better.....270 Caliber, like I been tell people all a long.
sorry for the rant.

Not mad about a new calibers, just dumbfounded why? Mad that no one can go to a store and by a box of ammo, but we are seeing new caliber made and advertised as the new great killer. Put some bullets on the self and then produce a new caliber for the 6.? Crowd.

When I first heard about it I thought it was a cool idea because I’ve always had a sweet spot for .270s. That’s what pretty much my whole family hunted with and was my first rifle given to me by my grandpa. I just don’t see it taking off with the ammo Shortage right now. But if I was in the market or “needed” another rifle I’d definitely think about it. Now if it takes off and Kimber offers it in their Mountain Ascent I think I’ll quickly have the “need” for a new rifle haha.

I have too admit, I am excited the .277 is getting some attention, but in saying that, last night I watched a video by Ron Spomer on YouTube all about the 6.8 Western and from the video it seems that the 6.8 Western duplicates trajectory of a 7mmRM with the same weight bullet, but with less powder and recoil. I'm kind of interested in the 6.8 Western, but I don't like shooting at a game animal past 300 yards, I've practiced out to 500 yards, but never shot a game animal past 300, so I find it hard to find a need for it.

It's all about marketing and sales. All the new Nosler rounds, the Winchester Short Magnum rounds, Lazzoroni rounds (remember those : Warbird, Meteor, Firebird, Scramjet), ... really, there are plenty of older cartridges that will kill animals just as dead as these new rounds. That said, it's always fun to debate, try out , and play with "new" stuff !!

Not mad about a new calibers, just dumbfounded why? Mad that no one can go to a store and by a box of ammo, but we are seeing new caliber made and advertised as the new great killer. Put some bullets on the self and then produce a new caliber for the 6.? Crowd.
You do realize that this was on the drawing board more than a couple weeks? They aren’t going to put all this work into it over the year just to say “well shit everyone keeps hoarding ammo,bullets, powder, and primers and then complains that they can’t find any on the shelves. Guess we better scrap all our work.”

I happen to find it interesting and like to see how the industry and shooters/hunters react.

My two cents: Just like the evolution of animals, cartridges try and try for different capabilities. Just like the evolution of animals, bigger and stronger doesn’t always win; the Megalodon is extinct, the Great White survives.

Efficiency wins in evolution, and seems to favor cartridges as well.

Seems like an improvement on the WSM line... or maybe it’s a modernized improvement of the 284 Win in some ways. I don’t see what there isn’t to like about it. If I were starting off fresh and wanted a modernized ”do it all”cartridge it would be on the list to consider.

Hopefully it’ll be a success

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back