Caribou Gear Tarp

6.8 Western

I think it's a cool round, and it's awesome that the .277 is finally getting some more love. Efficient designs that drive sleek, heavy-for-caliber bullets are where everything is trending. I'm a sucker, I guess, because I'm already looking at my 1:10 270WSM with disgust ;) Thank goodness they went with the 6.8Western designation because they could've done the .277WOW (Way Out West)

Don't worry, naysayers, they'll eventually come out with 8mm Stick in the Mud or .35 Curmudgeon for all you guys that come out of the woodwork to complain about new cartridges.

I'm wondering what it sounded like when they redesigned the 30-03 to handle lighter spitzer bullets. "Why mess with something that's not broken?!?!?! You crazy kids always looking for speed!"

Setting aside the whole “new cartridge equals more orders” argument, I think there is a logical reason for this cartridge. This is just another step in the search for a round that shoots far, hits with authority, and has low recoil. The 6.5’s may not have enough authority for some, the 7mms and .300s recoil too much for others, and the old 270 win doesn’t have the 800 yard capability on paper like many want.

I think this is a fair attempt to meet all three. I suspect in the end, there will be a minority of people that think this is the ultimate cartridge and the majority will knock it for one reason or another. I think most people aren’t looking for true balance in these three, they want overkill.

Last edited:
A faster 270 is like being smartest kid on short bus: impressive till you look around and kid next to you is licking a window....
Explain how a .277 160+gr bullet at higher-than-270 Win velocities is short bus material? Lighter recoil than a 7mm Rem Mag, greater sectional density, great BC....I think it’s part of the evolution for efficiency driving performance.

Setting aside the whole “new cartridge equals more recipients” argument, I think there is a logical reason for this cartridge. This is just another step in the search for a round that shoots far, hits with authority, and has low recoil. The 6.5’s may not have enough authority for some, the 7mms and .300s recoil too much for others, and the old 270 win doesn’t have the 800 yard capability on paper like many want.

I think this is a fair attempt to meet all three. I suspect in the end, there will be a minority of people that think this is the ultimate cartridge and the majority will knock it for one reason or another. I think most people aren’t looking for true balance in these three, they want overkill.
Preach

A faster 270 is like being smartest kid on short bus: impressive till you look around and kid next to you is licking a window....
It’s faster but designed to shoot heavy for caliber bullets as well which has been the Achilles heel of the 270, or so gun writers have been saying for 10+ years.

For so long I've read from the 270 people "why doesn't the gun industry make some advancement that will allow us to shoot longer heavier bullets like other calibers" .
Well Scooter here it is y'all can finally shoot longer,heavier, high bc bullets. And some of you are still griping.
It's called advancement in technology, if you want to stick with 1920's technology, by all means.
By that rational you should still be starting your car with a hand crank in the front.

The 270 market has a few good members and adding a couple more might get me to invest in a 270 caliber weapon. I have not researched it but I wonder how the 6.8 stacks up against the other new guy the 27 Nosler?

I happen to find it interesting and like to see how the industry and shooters/hunters react.

My two cents: Just like the evolution of animals, cartridges try and try for different capabilities. Just like the evolution of animals, bigger and stronger doesn’t always win; the Megalodon is extinct, the Great White survives.

Efficiency wins in evolution, and seems to favor cartridges as well.
This "New" Winchester offering will be just as entrenched as all the Winchester SSM's. Hunters will take to it like a duck to water. LOL

Explain how a .277 160+gr bullet at higher-than-270 Win velocities is short bus material? Lighter recoil than a 7mm Rem Mag, greater sectional density, great BC....I think it’s part of the evolution for efficiency driving performance.
Right along with polymer ammo that you can't reload.

Not many people wanted a SSM, and to top it off, the SSMs were plagued with bad twists, bad bullet weights, and people wanted a 25 WSM, in particular, not a WSSM. What people HAVE been clamoring for over the past decade has been .257 and .277 projectiles with better BCs for long range performance. But then people said, "you can't do that, 1:10 twists won't handle them." Usher in a new cartridge based on the same principles as the 6.5 Creedmoor and PRC (and .284 before them,) that was designed from the outset around that premise of efficiency and long, sleek bullets that standard 270win and 270WSMs weren't able to take advantage of. So it's great on paper, and I hope that it sticks around--I'm all for innovation.

Get good news. Did a search and there is 6.8 Western ammo available!
Get some now,but the rifle later!Hahaha

For so long I've read from the 270 people "why doesn't the gun industry make some advancement that will allow us to shoot longer heavier bullets like other calibers" .
Well Scooter here it is y'all can finally shoot longer,heavier, high bc bullets. And some of you are still griping.
It's called advancement in technology, if you want to stick with 1920's technology, by all means.
By that rational you should still be starting your car with a hand crank in the front.
Amen, TX

Setting aside the whole “new cartridge equals more recipients” argument, I think there is a logical reason for this cartridge. This is just another step in the search for a round that shoots far, hits with authority, and has low recoil. The 6.5’s may not have enough authority for some, the 7mms and .300s recoil too much for others, and the old 270 win doesn’t have the 800 yard capability on paper like many want.

I think you’re spot on. For those looking for a modern cartridge but live in a state where anything under 27 caliber is elk illegal, this fits the bull for another do it all cartridge.

If I ever get another .270, I'd go Nosler probly. With more funds, a .270 Fat Girl for sure. I like speed. mtmuley

Come on now if you got a .270 it would have to be a 300 RUM necked down to a .277, that’s the only option for You right? Wait has anyone done that yet?

Back