Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The new Winchester 6.8 Westerner

GlockZ

Seems like Winchester is introducing a new cartridge, looks like a modified 270WSM, also notice it calling for a .277 caliber, 175gr. bullet @ 2850fps out of a 24” barrel. I’m a big 270 fan so this is interesting to me. From what I found on the web, SAAMI specs have already been approved. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 898A5D09-DC28-4A76-BD16-0FD58001761C.png
    898A5D09-DC28-4A76-BD16-0FD58001761C.png
    536.8 KB · Views: 44
  • F10403A4-2253-463D-BA5D-E28E73A62356.png
    F10403A4-2253-463D-BA5D-E28E73A62356.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 43
Not something I'd have much interest in and think it'll die a quick "death". The one bright spot, IMO, is the new bullets that will come out for .277". I'd be more inclined to rebarrel a 270 Win with a faster twist to use those than to go with the Westerner.

I think it’ll give folks something to argue about, debating why it’s better or worse than existing cartridges. In reality, it’s just another tool that will, in all likelihood, will do pretty much the same things many other cartridges already do. For some, it’ll be perfect and others it’ll give them something to gnash their teeth about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winchester tricked me once with a newfangled .277. Not again.

I don't think it'll last. It may have a chance with the 1:8 twist barrel for some but introducing a new cartridge in the middle of the current gun and component buying spree is a mistake.

They're probably trying to compete with Sig's .277 Fury.

I think they'll both die out.

They're probably trying to compete with Sig's .277 Fury.

I think they'll both die out.
I think the 277 Fury has a future, being able to send a 140gr bullet out of a 16” barrel at @ 3000fps, will probably have people rethinking lightweight mountain rifles.

Sounds like an ideal solution to a nonexistent problem. Be interesting to see if it spawns a whole new crop of bullets for the .277
Maybe, but I think they’re going after the 27 Nosler and maybe be able to market it better.☺🤷‍♂️

The lack of ammunition and/or pieces and parts of any kind for reloading will help kill it pretty fast I think. It won't be a basic "go to" recommended choice for the average. It may be about like the .223 WSSM success story...

I would think that you could get this done with a 270WSM built on a long action and an 8tw barrel. I don't know how much powder space the 175gr would eat up in a SAAMI 270WSM COAL, thus the long action. My Shilen-barreled 270WSM sure fits the bill for me right now, but the .277 Fury really intrigues me. All in due time, I guess, since I've still got a 6.5PRC that I haven't been able to play with due to lack of components.

So its 99.9% a 270WSM with a 1-8" twist barrel. It looks like it will even chamber in a 270WSM, assuming the 270WSM has a long enough throat (and it should). Just sounds like different marketing for a 270WSM to me. I guess a new cartridge is easier to market than a new twist.

A fast twist .277 should be a great North American hunting cartridge, however you get there.

I'm with some of the others, it may end up breathing life into the 270 win. There was just an article on meat eater about the lack of premium bullet research at that caliber. But I agree, this cartridge will fade quickly.

The problem with the Sig fury is that weird two part case. If the military does pick it up than it'll be available, otherwise it's going to be proprietary and will die quickly.

I think the 277 Fury has a future, being able to send a 140gr bullet out of a 16” barrel at @ 3000fps, will probably have people rethinking lightweight mountain rifles.
It's an interesting cartridge but it uses a proprietary 3 piece case and runs at 80,000psi. There are almost no rifles built heavy enough to withstand much of that.

Not something I'd have much interest in and think it'll die a quick "death". The one bright spot, IMO, is the new bullets that will come out for .277". I'd be more inclined to rebarrel a 270 Win with a faster twist to use those than to go with the Westerner.

This and the hopes that more barrel makers get to producing quick (for caliber) twists.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back