Yeti GOBOX Collection

6.5 creed vs 2

7mm08mo

So I aquired a Kimber in 6.5 creed last spring, love the gun can’t say the same about the caliber. I work part time at orschlens in sporting goods and was bored today and the only ammo left is 260 and I was checking ballistics, it kicks ass. Any comments or suggestions? If I could find somebody with a Kimber 7mm08mo to trade I would but the 260 has me intrigued. Already have 7mm08mo and .270 and .308 would the 260 be different enough.

So I aquired a Kimber in 6.5 creed last spring, love the gun can’t say the same about the caliber. I work part time at orschlens in sporting goods and was bored today and the only ammo left is 260 and I was checking ballistics, it kicks ass. Any comments or suggestions? If I could find somebody with a Kimber 7mm08mo to trade I would but the 260 has me intrigued. Already have 7mm08mo and .270 and .308 would the 260 be different enough.

It is possible to ream your 6.5 creed chamber out to 260ai. With that said it won’t do anything much better than your 7mm-08.

It seems to be faster and has more foot lbs of energy. Maybe kicks ass isn’t the term but the ballistics seems to me to be superior and I am not impressed with the 6.5.

It seems to be faster and has more foot lbs of energy. Maybe kicks ass isn’t the term but the ballistics seems to me to be superior and I am not impressed with the 6.5.

How many loads have you looked at for each cartridge?

To me they’re similar enough that they’re basically two brands of butter knife. Their functionality is 99% the same for common users.

The 6.5 Creed has an edge ONLY because the barrels chambered for it are produced with a faster twist rate that allows for stabilization of longer and heavier bullets.
Other than that, I believe the 260 Rem and 7mm-08 are about as close to perfect as you are going to get for a "one to rule them all" whitetail cartridge. (Not trying to open a can of worms, I've killed more with a .270WIN than anything else)

I am a huge fan of 260 Remington, and still own two. You are off in your understanding. 6.5CM and 260rem are so close to each other you'd be hard pressed to see a clear winner, let alone an 'ass kicking' difference. The 6.5CM has an advantage in handling longer projectiles, and 260 will maybe be able to get a slight edge in speed. That is it, they are crazy close. I'm guessing that you were seeing ballistic data from different length barrels, not an apples to apples comparison, because in the real world the velocities are negligibly close. I would never consider changing a rifle from 6.5CM to 260, that would make zero sense. IMHO 7mm08 isn't different enough to justify the change either.

The 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, and 7-08 all have similar case capacities, and all shoot 140 grain bullets about the same speed, yet the additional . 007 makes the little 7 magic. I’ve killed a variety of game with all of them and see no difference.

Here is a ballistic chart comparison. There is an absolute negligible difference in velocity, energy and trajectory in these cartridges. That's why a lot of us can't wrap our heads around the CM. It does not do anything better than other cartridges that have been around for 50+ years won't do, other than possibly stabilizing a heavier bullet better out of factory rifles. If you want a classic 6.5 with some oomph, the .264WM that has been around for 60 or so years absolutely runs away from all of these.

1611327354246.png

I think for every man bun wearing millennial that says the creed is awesome, there is some grumpy old prick saying it sucks and the fact of the matter is they both get wrapped up in the marketing garbage.

The main advantage the creed has over the 260 is the fact that it will fit better in a magazine with a long VLD type bullet. You can seat those longer bullets without going past the neck shoulder junction and still be at mag length. This has caused it to take off in the completion side of things which has spilled over into the hunting world. So if a guy wants to build a hunting rifle around good components, the creed gets the nod. If you don’t care what brass you use and are going to stuff a partition in, pick any of the cases listed in the chart above.

The ballistics between the Creedmoor & 260 Rem are as mentioned, indistinguishable.
The Creedmoor allows long match bullets to fit in a magazine without encroaching into the powder column.
And about the only place that matters is shooting a PRS style match.
And now they are moving towards the 6GT brought out by GA Precision.

I was looking at the 7mm-08AI for a match rifle pushing the 160gr Tipped MatchKing.
But with the 131gr BlackJack Ace, and Berger releasing their 135gr Hybrid Target, i'm looking at building a 25 Souper.

1. I think you are pulling our leg. :)

So...almost identical velocity and energy, and far less factory ammo? Also, lower performance at long range?

Refer to these important factors that might change your mind!

BallisticsTalk: 6.5 vs 260

Last edited:
As others have said they are basically the same thing I have a 6.5 creedmoore and a 260 rem for what ever reason I like the 260 more but around where I live I have noticed I don’t see 260 ammo in stores but everyone carries 6.5 creedmoore if I didn’t reload I probably would only have the creedmoore due to local ammo availability.

The 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, and 7-08 all have similar case capacities, and all shoot 140 grain bullets about the same speed, yet the additional . 007 makes the little 7 magic. I’ve killed a variety of game with all of them and see no difference.
I get a kick out of caliber/cartridge angst as so many are essentially identical. With the improvement in bullet and powder technology we have the anomaly of the 7X57 loaded to SAMI specs for safety reasons and load the virtually identical case in 7'08 to 20% higher pressure. I built a 7X57 on a pre 64 mod 70 with a Shilen barrel in 1975 and it pushes almost any 140-150 grain bullet into 1/2 inch at 2700-2800 fps. We all like new shiney things, not about need! I am quite guilty as I counted the die sets I have in my loading room, 42, 17 hornet through 505 Gibbs, with 12 wildcats (6 are Ackley improved versions of something). With the exception of Cape Buffalo I could have killed everything over the last 55 years with a 30-06! Target below 5 shot at 100 and 2 shot 2 inches high 7X57 145 Speer Grand Slam, max 7'08 load is normal. the other two sheets are load development on a 556 Ackley for prairie dogs, Model 70 winchester actions, MacMillan stocks, Shilen bbl.IMG_0128.JPG

Last edited:
The ballistics between the Creedmoor & 260 Rem are as mentioned, indistinguishable.
The Creedmoor allows long match bullets to fit in a magazine without encroaching into the powder column.
And about the only place that matters is shooting a PRS style match.
And now they are moving towards the 6GT brought out by GA Precision.

I was looking at the 7mm-08AI for a match rifle pushing the 160gr Tipped MatchKing.
But with the 131gr BlackJack Ace, and Berger releasing their 135gr Hybrid Target, i'm looking at building a 25 Souper.
I talked to a gentlemen about the 25 souper and he raved about how much performance he was getting out of it with the 131 blackjacks. Keep us posted it sounds like the real deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back