Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?

The difference in experience people have is always interesting to me. You have people that have rodeos with just a couple kills with the 6.5s and then my family is over double digits on elk with various 6.5s and we’ve had nothing even come close to issues even when things aren’t place quite right. Of course we also shoot bullets that a lot of people turn their nose up at for killing. Good thing there’s so many choice in cartridges and bullets for everyone to pick what they like

For you being so astute to judge you sure didn’t read what was posted.
OP "prefers" his 6.5 cm rifle. I imagine hes a better shooter with it and/or has shot it more.

The difference between a 6.5 creedmoor and a 6.5 prc to 500 yards is very little.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209_150329_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_150329_Strelok Pro.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240209_150255_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_150255_Strelok Pro.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 11
OP "prefers" his 6.5 cm rifle. I imagine hes a better shooter with it and/or has shot it more.

The difference between a 6.5 creedmoor and a 6.5 prc to 500 yards is very little.
Same can be said for my 7 mag and my 6.5 prc the 7 mag pushed a 160 game king at 2900 and my 6.5 pushes the 156 at 2950. With the difference in bc on those bullets the 6.5 stomps my 7 mags ass

I guess, but if that is the case then just throw the bullets, it’s cheaper.
If you compared your 7 mag even at the 3k to my 156 Berger at 2950 with the bc it won’t have much more energy. It will have a lot less wind drift which for me makes the difference I’m not a great shot I just hunt so if I can cut my drift in half it’s a no brainer.

If you compared your 7 mag even at the 3k to my 156 Berger at 2950 with the bc it won’t have much more energy. It will have a lot less wind drift which for me makes the difference I’m not a great shot I just hunt so if I can cut my drift in half it’s a no brainer.
Apples to oranges, I don’t want to get into the BC debate. We are already off in left field from the OP’s question.

Apples to oranges, I don’t want to get into the BC debate. We are already off in left field from the OP’s question.
His og question is - should he buy a new rifle because the 6.5 prc or 6.5 creedmoor are inadequate for elk?

No is the obvious answer. Either rifle is adequate for elk at most ethical hunting ranges. Buy another rifle to disappoint your wife and/or bank account.

I asked you distances because the bullets sre the same between the two. 300 yard 6.5 creedmoor = 475 yard 6.5 prc, which is pretty consistent throughout (200 yardish advantage).

For comparison sake - heres a 264 win mag loading with the 60s era bullets and load (140 sp at 3k fps). It was - and is intended to be an effective flat shooting elk cartridge with a long history of success. Both the 6.5 prc and 6.5 creedmoor exceed it, readily, with modern bullets. For example, modern bullets in 6.5 creedmoor - you are besting the 264 win mag at 300 in terms of energy and velocity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209_182659_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_182659_Strelok Pro.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It really is amusing how worked up people get over rifles and bullets and how little it actually matters at normal hunting ranges. The 6.5 CM will kill an elk just as well as a .270, .308, .243, etc will kill them.

All that said, you need a new rifle. Every American man should own a .300 win mag, otherwise known as the Lord’s elk rifle.

His og question is - should he buy a new rifle because the 6.5 prc or 6.5 creedmoor are inadequate for elk?

No is the obvious answer. Either rifle is adequate for elk at most ethical hunting ranges. Buy another rifle to disappoint your wife and/or bank account.

I asked you distances because the bullets sre the same between the two. 300 yard 6.5 creedmoor = 475 yard 6.5 prc, which is pretty consistent throughout (200 yardish advantage).

For comparison sake - heres a 264 win mag loading with the 60s era bullets and load (140 sp at 3k fps). It was - and was intended to be an effective flat shooting elk cartridge with a long history of success. Both the 6.5 prc and 6.5 creedmoor exceed it, readily, with modern bullets. For example, modern bullets in 6.5 creedmoor - you are besting the 264 win mag at 300 in terms of energy and velocity.
You have no idea what you are talking about or practical knowledge on shooting ballistics.

The difference in experience people have is always interesting to me. You have people that have rodeos with just a couple kills with the 6.5s and then my family is over double digits on elk with various 6.5s and we’ve had nothing even come close to issues even when things aren’t place quite right. Of course we also shoot bullets that a lot of people turn their nose up at for killing. Good thing there’s so many choice in cartridges and bullets for everyone to pick what they like
What bullets do you use ?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back