Caribou Gear

.50 Caliber for Elk Hunting

RugerHawg413

Good Morning,
I am looking at buying a CVA Accura LR-X, .50 Caliber. I haven't hunted a lot with muzzleloaders but, was wanting to start to. I have a cheaper but not bad Thompson Center right now. My questions was going to be, is a .50 Caliber a good muzzleloader round for elk hunting? Thank you for all info and wisdom!!

I know a number of guys who have taken elk with 50's , Thompson's a fine shooter , in fact
they are light weight and easily managed in the outback. My only advice go out an shoot about 50 rounds. Changing up your charges , patching an ball size till you find a good option for your style of hunting.

I know a number of guys who have taken elk with 50's , Thompson's a fine shooter , in fact
they are light weight and easily managed in the outback. My only advice go out an shoot about 50 rounds. Changing up your charges , patching an ball size till you find a good option for your style of hunting.
Ok, awesome! Thank you for the info!!

Good Morning,
I am looking at buying a CVA Accura LR-X, .50 Caliber. I haven't hunted a lot with muzzleloaders but, was wanting to start to. I have a cheaper but not bad Thompson Center right now. My questions was going to be, is a .50 Caliber a good muzzleloader round for elk hunting? Thank you for all info and wisdom!!
There’s other calibers, but 50 is the most common used by hunters. No reason that 50 wouldn’t be good for elk. With standard rifles, 30 caliber is considered excellent. If you’re doing this for Colorado, be sure you understand the laws.

There’s other calibers, but 50 is the most common used by hunters. No reason that 50 wouldn’t be good for elk. With standard rifles, 30 caliber is considered excellent. If you’re doing this for Colorado, be sure you understand the laws.
Ok, understood. I need to review the laws in each state better. I live in Arkansas but, elk hunt out west. Thank you!!

I’ve taken two elk with a 50. It’s great on elk if you stay in your effective range and hit them where you should. Why even replace the T/C?
Thank you for the info! Because it is one of those older T/C Impacts which is fine for whitetail here in Arkansas, but I don't if I want to take it on a elk hunt out west, if that makes sense. Thank you again!!

T/C Impact would do just fine as an elk gun but if you are already set up with it scoped, sighted in and ready for deer, it would definitely be easier to have a new dedicated elk weapon set up specifically that you can use from year to year without having to switch from scope to sights all the time. Good luck.

T/C Impact would do just fine as an elk gun but if you are already set up with it scoped, sighted in and ready for deer, it would definitely be easier to have a new dedicated elk weapon set up specifically that you can use from year to year without having to switch from scope to sights all the time. Good luck.
That is true! Thank you for your info and wisdom! Good luck to you too!!

I use a .54, but I know guys who have killed elk with a .50. If you are an interior ballistics nerd, the .50 doesn't give anything to the .54. It gets down to bullet weight, charge weight, and rifling twist.

Idaho requires iron sights and an exposed cap. No 209 primers, lead only ammo without sabot.

Unless you are shooting a New Mexico hot rod you really need to think like a bow hunter for elk, not a rifle hunter. Get close and pick your shot. If you shoot, you are done for the day until you verify a clean miss.

I often buzzkill muzzy threads with pictures of wound/lost elk I have found dead over the years.

I use a .54, but I know guys who have killed elk with a .50. If you are an interior ballistics nerd, the .50 doesn't give anything to the .54. It gets down to bullet weight, charge weight, and rifling twist.

Idaho requires iron sights and an exposed cap. No 209 primers, lead only ammo without sabot.

Unless you are shooting a New Mexico hot rod you really need to think like a bow hunter for elk, not a rifle hunter. Get close and pick your shot. If you shoot, you are done for the day until you verify a clean miss.

I often buzzkill muzzy threads with pictures of wound/lost elk I have found dead over the years.
Thank you for all the info and insight!

Someone will counter me with a story of an elk that tipped over dead right there at 150 yards. I'm only talking about my experience.

You have to know your weapon and personal limits.
Absolutely, thank you again for all the info!!

I use a .50 t/c pro hunter fx with 100 grains of fffg American pioneer powder and a 300 grain Thor bullet for elk and deer. I use a ghost ring sight instead of the open sights the gun came with in states that do not allow scopes. I take my scope on and off for Iowa deer season, no problem.

Good Morning,
No. It is not even legal with roundballs in Colorado...

You asked... ;)

I use a .50 t/c pro hunter fx with 100 grains of fffg American pioneer powder and a 300 grain Thor bullet for elk and deer. I use a ghost ring sight instead of the open sights the gun came with in states that do not allow scopes. I take my scope on and off for Iowa deer season, no problem.
Ok, great!! Thank you so much!!

I don't know, the longest shot I would probably take is 120 yards.

For a perfect 120 elk rifle, why not a .54 instead?

or, for a lot less money...

:)

PS. Not my guns. Just know they are out there.

Back