Yeti GOBOX Collection

Javelina Hunting for First Time

RugerHawg413

Hello, Everyone!
I am going Javelina hunting for the first time in the next few months, as some of you already may know due to my other thread about what caliber is correct for Javelina, in regard to that I have decided to go with .223. And thank you for all the replies to that thread. Anyway, I was just wanting to see if anyone could give some good tips and/or wisdom about field judging Javelina. What is considered a great/good/bad Javelina. Also, how is Javelina meat? Good or bad? And does anyone keep anything as a trophy from Javelina? I have only seen Javelina once, as I live in AR. And that was on a completely different hunt. Any and all info is appreciated!! Thank you!!

Last edited:
First off, they're typically considered big game, not small. Field judge by picking the biggest one in the herd, a good javelina is one over 35 lbs. Trophies are the typical head mount, but I'd honestly just do a European mount. You'll be lucky to get 15lbs of meat ftom a javelina. Im not a fan of its natural flavor, I turn it all into sausage, meat sticks etc, but some like it cooked like any other red meat.

Look over a herd for a bit and you should see some size differences and if given lots of time can probably pick out a male. I think I’ve killed seven though and I’m usually not super picky as long as it’s an adult. I think they are at best fair for eating, I mostly just sausage them and will go as high as a 50:50 mix with pork. The skulls are super cool to keep, I have one shoulder mount and another rug. The rug is by far my favorite piece of taxidermy. Friends of mine have kept the hides just tanned

I don't think I've ever seen a javelina rug, and am sorry I never thought to have one made now. I think the stigma over the stink gland kept me from doing anything other than leaving it with the carcass.

As the others have said, there is no science in field judging javelinas; just shoot a mature adult. The meat is great in chili, barbacoa or sausage.

The important thing to remember is to be careful when skinning to not mess with the scent gland on the hip or let it get on the meat. Just remove the hide and the gland will go with it.

You can impress your fellow hunters with the knowledge that there is no such thing as “a javelina.” One is a javelin and two or more are javelinas (like tamal/tamales). Or just call it a collared peccary.

Look over a herd for a bit and you should see some size differences and if given lots of time can probably pick out a male. I think I’ve killed seven though and I’m usually not super picky as long as it’s an adult. I think they are at best fair for eating, I mostly just sausage them and will go as high as a 50:50 mix with pork. The skulls are super cool to keep, I have one shoulder mount and another rug. The rug is by far my favorite piece of taxidermy. Friends of mine have kept the hides just tanned
Rug sounds really cool-- would you mind posting a photo?

Rug sounds really cool-- would you mind posting a photo?
I don’t remember what it cost, it was pretty spendy. Taxidermist ordered a shoulder mount form and cut it off for the head. This was a pretty big, old male

Attachments

• 92D2DB11-1A34-481A-84DE-3CE31545F877.jpeg
    92D2DB11-1A34-481A-84DE-3CE31545F877.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • 69A0AF85-0318-4B43-AC9D-B6620D2D5E96.jpeg
    69A0AF85-0318-4B43-AC9D-B6620D2D5E96.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 44
Hello, Everyone!
I am going Javelina hunting for the first time in the next few months, as some of you already may know due to my other thread about what caliber is correct for Javelina, in regard to that I have decided to go with .223. And thank you for all the replies to that thread. Anyway, I was just wanting to see if anyone could give some good tips and/or wisdom about field judging Javelina. What is considered a great/good/bad Javelina. Also, how is Javelina meat? Good or bad? And does anyone keep anything as a trophy from Javelina? I have only seen Javelina once, as I live in AR. And that was on a completely different hunt. Any and all info is appreciated!! Thank you!!
When are you hunting them?

A sign of a mature javelina is hairless spots on their front legs where they are rubbing. Chorizo or any kind of sausage is good use of meat.

Be sure to not get javelina hair on the meat or the meat will taste like a javelina smells. I killed one recently weighed 29 lbs field dressed and that was a good one. Like another poster said you won't get much meat off one, about 15lbs on a mature one.

I've only killed one javalina so limited experience. It was a boar. Slow cooked in the in dutch oven. It was amazing. I was very careful while field dressing. I could of done a bull elk in time I spent on that guy
Got 22 lb finished meat. Good luck

I don’t remember what it cost, it was pretty spendy. Taxidermist ordered a shoulder mount form and cut it off for the head. This was a pretty big, old male
Rugs look good but don’t know why he would alter a shoulder form when they make rug shells for javelina.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back