6.5 CM for Javelina

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I am thinking about going on a Javelina hunt and was wondering is a 6.5 Creedmoor shooing a 156 grain Berger too much to use for Javelina hunting? Thanks!

My personal opinion is that it’s a lot of gun plus I’d guess that bullet will really wreck one. They aren’t very big critters and aren’t that hard to get close to. If I ever rifle hunted them I’d probably use something like a 223 or 22-250

My personal opinion is that it’s a lot of gun plus I’d guess that bullet will really wreck one. They aren’t very big critters and aren’t that hard to get close to. If I ever rifle hunted them I’d probably use something like a 223 or 22-250
Would it help at all if I went with a 135 or 140 grain? Would that make enough of a difference? Thanks!

As small of a grain tough bullet as you can get. I’ve seen a 135 Berger classic exit a deer with a basketball size hole. Or about the size of what you’re trying to kill.

As small of a grain tough bullet as you can get. I’ve seen a 135 Berger classic exit a deer with a basketball size hole. Or about the size of what you’re trying to kill.
LMAO! Gotcha! If you don't mind me asking what do you use to hunt them with? .223?

Based on your other thread, I would strongly suggest using a mono if you stick with the Creedmoor. It would make it way more of a do all verses the Bergers. I shoot a Barnes LRX in my 260ai and there is very little mess and very dead critters. I wouldn’t hesitate using that 127g LRX on a Javelina. It’s still overkill but it won’t waste the entire critter like a Berger would.

Based on your other thread, I would strongly suggest using a mono if you stick with the Creedmoor. It would make it way more of a do all verses the Bergers. I shoot a Barnes LRX in my 260ai and there is very little mess and very dead critters. I wouldn’t hesitate using that 127g LRX on a Javelina. It’s still overkill but it won’t waste the entire critter like a Berger would.
Okay, great!

Awesome! Thank you! How would these do with like Pronghorn?
Great on anything up to a cow elk. But seeing you have your PRC I would elk hunt with that.

That 127LRX was about 100fps faster than a Creedmoor. It liquified my antelopes heart. There was virtually no meat lost on the exit wound. With a Berger that off shoulder would have been completely wasted/gone.

Bergers have their place but it’s not up close on small game.

Great on anything up to a cow elk. But seeing you have your PRC I would elk hunt with that.

That 127LRX was about 100fps faster than a Creedmoor. It liquified my antelopes heart. There was virtually no meat lost on the exit wound. With a Berger that off shoulder would have been completely wasted/gone.

Bergers have their place but it’s not up close on small game.
Understood! Then would you recommend the Barnes 120 Grain VORTX or the 127 Grain VORTX(LR). I didn't know if one is better then the other. Like with Accubonds, I know poeple love those and hate the Accubond LRs. Thank you!

Understood! Then would you recommend the Barnes 120 Grain VORTX or the 127 Grain VORTX(LR). I didn't know if one is better then the other. Like with Accubonds, I know poeple love those and hate the Accubond LRs. Thank you!
Which ever your gun shoots best. Not the dramaticly different result accubonds have.

I'll be going on my first javelina hunt at the beginning of next month. Decided to use my 243. with 75gr federal bthp. No matter what you pick do some research on shot placement it's my understanding that their vitals are further forward then a deer so keeping it tight or in the shoulder is best.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back